Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-20-2012, 06:17 PM   #1
hax

Backup Camera

Has anyone replaced their backup camera on an older Alpine?
I wasn't getting any air out of my dash AC vents, so I pulled the backup monitor out of the dash and found that it had completely smashed shut the flex hoses coming off of the blower plenum. In addition, the plastic mounting barcket for the monitor had severed several flex hoses. The flex hoses are wire tied along with the wiring from the radio, AC, and warning lights, etc., it was easier to duct tape them up rather than replace them.
I want to replace the monitor with a flat plate or at least a smaller one so it won't smash the AC flex hoses. Air flowing out of the dash vents is kind of neat in Arizona and having the monitor sticking six inches out of the dash isn't.
Has anyone replaced their camera system? Could you find a new system that would use the existing wiring, or a new flat plate monitor that would work with our camera and wiring? And fit in the existing dash hole? That is probably asking a lot! I think the manufacturer is long gone.

2003 ALPINE 40FDTS
hax is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2012, 10:38 AM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
I replaced my backup monitor with a Voyager AOM713WP flat screen color monitor that I purchased on Ebay. It didn't come with the necessary wiring harnesses/cables/junction box (all required) which I ordered direct from Jensen (and cost almost twice as much as what I paid for the monitor!). All you need to hook up directly to the existing cable from the backup camera is an adapter cable. I actually dismantled the old monitor and used the frame to mount the replacement monitor into the same hole in the dash. Here is a photo of the monitor mounted in place.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Voyager Backup Monitor.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	445.5 KB
ID:	20233  

rdownward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:48 AM   #3
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A wireless one may be an alternative. I got this link from another member. http://www.tadibrothers.com/Catalog/...-Backup-Camera

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 01:09 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Just FYI Hax, I experimented with wireless backup cameras and monitors and found that the distance was too great and there was too much interference for it to transmit a clear (or even viewable) picture to the monitor. I ended up returning the more expensive one that they said would work but didn't and put the original wireless one I purchased in my pickup. Works great there!
Old 04-21-2012, 07:53 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Roger:

What was involved in attaching the new camera to the old frame? And what adapeter, specifically, is needed to make the adaptation?

Were you replacing both the camera and monitor?

My monitor works, it's the camera that is failing, the IR.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:10 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
I only replaced the monitor as my monitor stopped working and it would have cost more to get it fixed than it was worth. But, I believe you can replace only the camera and I don't think you even need an adapter for the cables to match up. You can check the Jensen Website to learn more or contact their customer service. They are VERY helpful. The website is: Jensen RV Direct - Shop Premium Audio & Video Entertainment For RV Use

I believe it is possible to replace both the camera and monitor using the existing camera cable by simply adding the adapter cable on the monitor end.

Regarding mounting the new monitor in the old frame. I used velcro strips to attach the new monitor to the old frame once I had the old frame mounted back in to dash with the original thumb screw fasteners. So far, it is holding tight and it was far easier doing that than permanently attaching the new monitor to the old frame before remounting the entire package into the dash. If the velcro doesn't prove to be effective over the long term, I have designed some brackets in my mind that will work to permanently attach the new monitor to the old frame.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:14 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
When I had to replace the Monitor & Camera several years ago no one made the adaptorsí so I could not use the original cable. I found out that the camera and monitor installed on my 01 Alpine was no longer being manufactured and no adapters were made. The cable had to be replaced. I now have three cameras (Left & Right Turn) and a color monitor with a tilt camera.

The new Voyager monitor flat screen fit in the same location as the old CRT monitor.

Since that was over five years ago, someone may now be producing the adaptors for the new back up camera.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:33 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Thanks Roger!

Dave:

Was your CRT inset into the dash, too? I recall seeing one Alpine where it wasn't.

Are the side cameras tied to the turn signals? Was it easy to install?
Old 04-22-2012, 11:43 PM   #9

Hax,

When I had my 2000 alpine, the rear camera, went out . MY monitor was a flat monitor, that mounted to the surface of the dash. WRV on mine used good color monitor, but used a cheap black and white camera. It is easy to test the monitor. Remove the panel on the right side of the dash, where all the electrical boxes are and there is a video connector there. I used a regular video camera and connected to the cables to it and the monitor worked fine. I went to a local car stero store and bought a high resolution 1/3" CCD camera and had great color picture on the monitor.
2007 Apex MDTS (425 hp) #75723
2007 Toyota 4-Runner
2014 Ram Laramie 3500
kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:29 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
My Monitor is recessed into the dash similar. I believe WRV started sometime in 2000 inserting the monitor into the dash. Prior to that the TV was used as the backup monitor. Some owners who have changed the TV on pre 2000 may have mounted the camera on the dash.

The side cameras are fairly easy to install just find a location where you want them mounted. I help a friend with a mid-door and we installed them on the body and drilled hole for the wiring that was covered by the front kick panels. On my front door 38ft the side cameras were installed on the front slide. You must connect/tap into the turn signals in order to trigger the camera feed from left or right from the rear camera.

Name:	Backup Monitor.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	213.0 KB
ID:	20365
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:12 AM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Here is a great place to buy a very nice BU monitor system.

7" COLOR LCD BACKUP REAR VIEW REVERSE CCD CAMERA SYSTEM | eBay

I have bought dozens of these systems from this guy. I have no affiliation whatsoever with this seller, its just a great product at a great price.

I removed the big heavy CRT monitor from my 2001 and installed the color flat panel.

I did have to run a new cable from the front of the coach to the back. I ran the new cable thru the basement between the frame rails and zip tied it to the existing wiring harness and various other hoses & tubes. Not the easiest of tasks but not rocket science either.

I got rid of the camera in the clearance light and built an aluminum bracket to mount the new camera just below the "spoiler". It fits in there rather nice and looks like it belongs.

All in all, it's about a 5 -6 hour project but well worth it. The picture on the new monitor (color) is excellent and my dash is happy not having all that weight hanging there.

Jeff
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1599.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	202.1 KB
ID:	20371   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1587.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	805.1 KB
ID:	20372  

Name:	IMG_1590.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	238.4 KB
ID:	20373  
Old 04-25-2012, 11:02 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Jeff:

Did your monitor include the trim ring around it, or did you modify something?
Old 04-26-2012, 08:21 AM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Takepride,

The monitor comes with a very nice plastic recessed housing. The outside of that housing is not quite tall enough to fill in the opening in the dash, so I cut out a piece of black plastic to fit at the bottom of the opening and then glued that piece behind the flange on the recessed housing. You can see it if you look close in the picture below.

Another nice thing it that the monitor can pivot up & down in the housing so you can adjust the angle of the monitor to suite your position.

Jeff
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1598.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	220.2 KB
ID:	20407   Click image for larger version

Name:	monitor.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	20408  

Old 04-27-2012, 10:33 PM   #14