Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-31-2006, 07:47 PM   #1

I have enjoyed the various posts to this site and learned much over the last few years. This is a problem I have not seen posted, so any help or comments would be appreciated.

We have a problem with the backup camera image being cloudy, no image, when displayed on the TV. Occasionally, the image of the tow will come on the screen, when passing thru the shade of trees. However, in sunlight the image is gone and it looks cloudy. Since we do not get any image, I am driving with the TV (backup camera) off. We have had a dry warm summer and I strongly believe glare is the issue, not condensation.

Typically, we expect moisture behind the lens when we head south in January from the NW. After a week of Arizona sun the image clears up. Last winter it did not clear up. In the past, I have also removed the lens and used a hairdryer on the camera and lens before reassembly.

Safe travels, Ed

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2006, 07:47 PM   #2

I have enjoyed the various posts to this site and learned much over the last few years. This is a problem I have not seen posted, so any help or comments would be appreciated.

We have a problem with the backup camera image being cloudy, no image, when displayed on the TV. Occasionally, the image of the tow will come on the screen, when passing thru the shade of trees. However, in sunlight the image is gone and it looks cloudy. Since we do not get any image, I am driving with the TV (backup camera) off. We have had a dry warm summer and I strongly believe glare is the issue, not condensation.

Typically, we expect moisture behind the lens when we head south in January from the NW. After a week of Arizona sun the image clears up. Last winter it did not clear up. In the past, I have also removed the lens and used a hairdryer on the camera and lens before reassembly.

Safe travels, Ed

Old 02-26-2007, 01:36 PM   #3

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

We have a problem with the backup camera image being cloudy ............ I have also removed the lens

Safe travels, Ed </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have a simular problem with a foggy image from my backup camera. I can see condensation behind the glass that covers the lens and the LEDs. However, I can't figure out how to remove the glass cover so I can clean the lens and remove the condensation.

Any help will be appreciated.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:18 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
The red lens cap comes off. You need a small screw driver to pry the len cap. Carefull do no fall off the ladder while up there any other help call me Harold 702 592 2505
Old 03-11-2007, 10:18 AM   #5

We had to replace the old style camera in our 2003 because it was fogging up--also had lots of reflected light inside lens at dusk/dark. Always suspected the combination camera and back clearance light was a bad idea--bulb on, warms the air inside and air expands; bulb off, air cools and contracts, sucking in moist air. Next cycle, air condenses and you get fog. I disconnected the bulb (two-prong plug at back of TV screen. No more bulb but no more fog or reflected light.
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 04:52 PM   #6

Thanks for the interest in the backup camera problem. I would suggest that you apply a little bit of silicon caulk around the lens cover before replacing it over the camera, and around the screw heads. This should give it a little better seal from the moisture.
The clearance bulbs in with the camera lens have been painted black on the camera side of each bulb, (or colored with a black marking pen). This may help reduce glare from the bulbs. However, we usually turn off our TV (backup camera monitor) at dark, it puts too much light into the cockpit area when driving, (it's like leaving your dome light on in your car when driving at night).
Old 11-13-2008, 07:43 AM   #7

I know this is an OLD post but it most closely fits my "project".
The backup camera on our '98 has alot of (what looks to be) glare and foggy and is basically useless at night. I have already pulled the cover and put a new clean one on that I already had. There was no condensation inside the cover and the image looked the same with or w/o the cover. I put a shade over the lens to see if it was actually glare and it is not. I plan on trying to remove the lens(es) of the camera itself and cleaning them hoping condensation or contamination got inside the camera. Any input on this area?
Now, if all of this proves not to solve the problem can I use any camera that hooks up via coaxel and just swap them out?
What do you think?
Thanks.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:24 AM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Hello Brian:

Unfortunately the company that produced the camera system which was installed in the older Alpines is out of business. I found this out when my system stopped working after our accident. The RV facility which repaired the motorhome was unable to find any replacement parts that could be used with the old cabling. They even found that no one made adapters so that other manufactures equipment could be used. A complete new color system was subsequently installed including the cabling.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 08:23 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Brian:

I took mine to a repair shop that specialized in cameras, CCTV, television, etc. They completely rebuilt it, changed all the diodes (62) and charged me $75. I had to remove and reinstall. I imagine there are places near you that can do the same. I found mine with a referral from Camping World.

They explained that many of the silicon parts degrade from heat, sun and use. The repairs are simple and good for another 6 - 10 years (YMMV).
Old 11-14-2008, 02:40 AM   #10

I was not happy with the back-up system and decided to replace it in favor of a system that would stay on all the time. Although the monitor has a mounting bracket, I made a small decorative wood frame and mounted it in a position much like a rear-view mirror in a car. An 8" LCD display for the VMSpc is mounted next to it.

The 12 volt rear-view system I bought cost $275.00 complete, has a 7" color LCD monitor, CCD camera, night-vision and 60 feet of cable. The only issue I've had with it is distortion when water gets on the lens of the camera. So far it's been exceptionally good.
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 10:32 AM   #11

Thanks everyone!

I'll look at repairing the camera first and replace if needed. I was glad to hear it might be "refurbished".

Take care!
Old 11-18-2008, 07:02 PM   #12
Cat

Hey rmmpe where did you get your backup camera? I've had mine replaced three times under warranty. So its about time to see if I can find a better one.
Old 11-19-2008, 03:31 AM   #13

Hi Cat.

I bought the system from this guy through his eBay listing. Running the cable is a pit of a PitA and I did it externally using the snap cover cable races from Lowes and 3M permanent tape. All-in-all, it took about about an hour to run the cable and get it into the Alpine right at the top of the window (you'll need a 5/8" drill to make a hole big enough for the connector-seal it with Silicon).
Or, you can try to fish it through the rig.
Total cost was about $350.00 and I am quite pleased with the unit.

Try eBay under "rearview camera".
If that fails, call him and he'll point you in the right direction.

Steve Gudin
7537 S. Rainbow Blvd.
Suite 107, PMB # 260
Las Vegas, NV 89139

Tel: (702) 547-5200
Fax: (702) 547-5201

Web: www.InterceptInc.com
Email: Steve@InterceptInc.com
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 06:00 AM   #14

Rmmpe
Can you tell me what the brand of the camera.

Rusty Bear

40FT FDFS #75725
Rusty Bear is offline   Reply With Quote