Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2009, 08:11 PM   #1

Backup Camera Issue

My backup camera works fine until I turn on the headlights. If the lights are on I get some horizontal 'flickering' that makes it hard to actually see anything.

I'm assuming a ground issue or the power lead needs a filter of some kind -- anyone have a similar experience and resolution?

Thanks,

Mark

2018 Renegade Explorer / 2021 Jeep Gladiator
MFortie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2009, 11:00 AM   #2

IIWM, I'd apply the following, which strictly speaking isn't a fix, but more of a work-around:
1) Always park & start happy hour by 17:00 promptly, never later (5:00 p.m.)
2) problem solved, no headlights needed.
Old 10-04-2009, 11:10 AM   #3

Your didnt mention the year of your coach but older coaches (2002 and earlier) have a clearance light integrated with the camera. A bit of moisture gets in the light lense and the camera fogs--especially at night. Two solution: 1--go with EM and park it early, or 2--disconnect the two-wire power cord behind the inside monitor that powers the clearance light in the camera. I prefer EM's solution.
PS--pretty sure the company that made the old style camera is long gone so you will need to replace the entire system.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 11:28 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
I am not sure on your coach, but mine has two very bright backup lights which come one when in reverse. At night those light throw out so much light my camera is useless. Disconnect one of those lights which seems to fix my problems. I think I get the lines you speak of, but try to be leveled up prior to dark and relaxing so EM suggestion above is the best one. I will make an effort to start before dawn if necessary, but I never set up at night, it's just to difficult making sure I don't hit something hanging down, or some little thing out of my vision field.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 03:52 PM   #5

I always know when I hit something, or even come close. The Accidental Collision Warning System in the passenger chair goes off. Usually for about a half hour. It occasionally takes a couple hours for the ACWS to deactivate. Liberal application of Ciroc can minimize the deactivation time cycle, so I try to keep some in the tool kit at all times.
Old 10-04-2009, 04:15 PM   #6

I'm confused. Why do you need headlights when you are going backwards?
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 05:19 PM   #7

Hmmm....

These highly technical replies have me a little baffled. So, should I also avoid stretches of highway where 'Headlights On During Daylight' signs are posted? I.E., up 395 to the Sierras? I guess I could go around -- maybe take I5 north and cutover at Tioga Pass...

The coach is a 2000 and the dash display is Panasonic unit. It's not a backup light issue, and I also have one of those 'collision avoidance systems'; should have heard her today when I was running my little John Deere tractor scraping down some weeds -- apparently I got to close to the slope going down from the horse corrals.

I believe in being setup early also, however on some trips I'll take off after work or the kid gets out of school and push into the night and just boondock somewhere (Walmart, truck stop, etc.) Not quite to retirement yet (see 'collision avoidance system' above), so I hafta work around work sometimes...

BTW, my 'Collision Avoidance System' requires Chardonnay to silence it.

Old 10-04-2009, 06:02 PM   #8

I guess no one knows why DC from the headlights should cause the problem you describe. This would normally be the effect of AC getting into the video circuit. But it still begs the question "why are you using the back-up camera as a rear view mirror?"
I never turn my camera on until I need to back into a space or maneuver in close quarters. Have you ever seen a tractor-trailer with a back-up camera?
I think you could live with this problem.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 07:11 PM   #9

Apparently, unlike many others, I actually drive frequently after dark. I also have the backup camera turned on all the time while driving, since it is useful to note whether the toad is still attached. Another use for the backup camera when driving day or night is when passing to determine that I have fully cleared the car/truck in the right lane that I just passed so that I can safely merge back into the right lane. By the way, I also check both the regular and the convex mirror for this clearance too.

Hence, I see a need for understanding the technical problem involved in the issue noted by MFortie: " If the lights are on I get some horizontal 'flickering' that makes it hard to actually see anything."

I"ve also noticed just recently that I get some horizontal 'flickering' on the monitor, but in my case I don't think it is associated with the headlights being on. It seems to occur when I first start using the backup monitor, then settles down after awhile.

Any idea why this occurs?
Dale777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 09:27 PM   #10
hax

The backup camera on my 2001 had flickering and was blurry. About two years ago I sent it to STC, Suite 208, 1815 W 205th ST, Torrance, Ca 90501, 310 320-7827. They repaired the camera and sent back an extra red lens too. The camera still gets a little blury after a long night of ciroc. Hax

2003 ALPINE 40FDTS
hax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 09:48 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algoma View Post
I guess no one knows why DC from the headlights should cause the problem you describe.
Obviously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algoma View Post
But it still begs the question "why are you using the back-up camera as a rear view mirror?"
I never turn my camera on until I need to back into a space or maneuver in close quarters. Have you ever seen a tractor-trailer with a back-up camera?
I think you could live with this problem.
When in my previous post(s) did I say I was using the back-up camera as a rear view mirror? And so what if I did? And why would I care what a tractor-trailer has? If you don't have anything constructive to post shut yer frickin yap! Sheesh!

Not that I need a reason to run my back-up camera, but I too like to keep an eye on my toad...

Old 10-04-2009, 11:01 PM   #12

I run w/the backup camera on all the time to keep an eye on the toad.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:16 PM   #13

I run with mine on all the time too. I find it gives me comfort when changing lanes. It's a looongg package when you have a towd!
Old 10-05-2009, 09:26 PM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
Mark,
Have you tried pressing on the headlamp switch or moving the switch(knob) slightly left or right? Maybe the switch contacts are loose.

We drive at night-all night-on our trips to St. Louis. I have never had problem with ours.

JAWAG, but that is as technical as I can get.

You have been indoctrinated by the gang

Now, where is that darn rear view mirror?