Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-06-2012, 09:20 AM   #1

backup camera "switch" in '99 Alpine

I installed a new flat screen over the passenger seat of our coach recently. As it is a '99, it uses the TV as the backup monitor and it used to work well.

But unfortunately during the install, I broke the 20ga wire positive 12 volt input on the switching unit (shown below). Attempts to solder the wire back onto the switch were not successful. And the Colorado phone number listed on the switch has been changed during the last 13 years to someone's residence; supplier no longer in business.

My question today: is there another switch available for this application? The camera still works well and I had a good quality picture on the new monitor until I (ahem...) buttoned things up and snapped off the wire. Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tvswitch.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	264.8 KB
ID:	28803  

s2per is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2012, 06:05 PM   #2

Video Modulator

What you are looking for is a "video modulator." I found some with a web search but they weren't 12 V DC powered.

This one is 9V DC powered -here- and they tell you you need to buy a 12 V to 9 V converter. Which they also carry but it has a cigarette lighter plug interface. You just can't cut the cord off the plug because that is where the 12v to 9V converter is. If you can't find another video modulator just get a power plug (cigarette lighter) socket with wire leads and wire the whole ugly mess in the back of the cabinet where it won't be seen. You may still be able to get the power plug sockets at Radio Shack--some RS stores may have them other RS stores might not.

v8dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:19 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Here's at least 1 - 12V/9V converter that doesn't employ a car accessory plug and is reasonably priced. There's several other similar products by searching the Internet for "12V to 9V Converter".

http://www.current-logic.com/shop/in...&products_id=6
bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:24 AM   #4

You should really install a separate monitor for the camera and not use the TV.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2per View Post
I installed a new flat screen over the passenger seat of our coach recently. As it is a '99, it uses the TV as the backup monitor and it used to work well.

But unfortunately during the install, I broke the 20ga wire positive 12 volt input on the switching unit (shown below). Attempts to solder the wire back onto the switch were not successful. And the Colorado phone number listed on the switch has been changed during the last 13 years to someone's residence; supplier no longer in business.

My question today: is there another switch available for this application? The camera still works well and I had a good quality picture on the new monitor until I (ahem...) buttoned things up and snapped off the wire. Any ideas?
I have the same set upon my 99 Alpine. The previous owner had many problems with the camera. The camera was gone when I purchased it. I still have the old style TV. I might consider taking out the switch that you need, but it sounds like a fair amount of hassell. I presume the TV has to be removed to get to this switch??? Old trucker
Old 11-28-2012, 08:57 PM   #6

I appreciate the offer, but it's a pretty big job removing that set. I'm probably going to upgrade to a separate monitor. Thanks!
s2per is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:28 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algoma View Post
You should really install a separate monitor for the camera and not use the TV.
What might be the benefits of the second monitors?

Thanks
Old 12-21-2012, 10:57 AM   #8

Bukzin, you have misread the issue here. On your coach you have a monitor dedicated to the rear view camera but the early Alpine Coaches did not. They used the TV with an automatic switch that displayed the rear view camera picture when the engine was running. Most of us have installed a dedicated monitor when upgrading the TV as it simplifies the wiring and in my view is safer.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:36 PM   #9

I wonder if I could wire the TV input to such a modulator switch to the backup monitor, then I could watch TV while driving. Hmmmmmm......
I Love Lucy reruns on that long boring Interstate-5, I-40, I-15.....
Old 12-22-2012, 06:09 AM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
EM, will you still be laughing at Lucy as the coach veers off the road? Just wondering.
bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:46 AM   #11

I just got rid of the RF modulator and wired the camera directly to the composite video input (yellow RCA jack) on the TV.

Tags
camera