Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 09-18-2010, 12:01 AM   #43

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have an extra 19" flat screen TV that's gonna replace that great big heavy 10 y/o Samsung before the next trip,if I can find the right thread that shows me how to do it. DW didn't want to do it untill I told her about this accident..

I do have a CDL because I have driven school busses for a number of years and before that I drove a large commercial stepvan for 31 years.I had to have all kinds of drivers safety classes that were required by the bosses insurance company and of course,constant evaluations at any time on the school bus.Every driver at the school district had to have a two week course in driving the bus,rules of the road,how to handle the bus in an emergency and most of all,how to handle students all the time your driving..The first time I drove my Class A,I was really wondering if I wanted this as I felt uncomfortable with the seat position,sitting down low and far back from the front end,and I wasn't used to having that few mirrors..I used to drive the school bus at freeway speeds but now in the MH,I try to hold it to 60-62 MPH and that feels more comfortable..
I really do feel that MH drivers should have to take classes and have some kind of certification and at the very least a DOT health card.

'01 Tradewinds 7390 LTC
2011 Jeep Liberty
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2010, 04:22 AM   #44
Deepest condolences to the Roderick family.

It is naive for anyone to comment about absolute speeds, safety, etc. What may be safe for one set of circumstances may not be safe for another. I once owned a car while working in Italy that I would not drive faster than 50...I didn't trust my ability to handle it under adverse conditions. While there I purchased a popular Sweedish car that I trusted at 75 or so. I have been in cars that I trusted more at 100 than my first car in Italy. The same holds true for MHs and operational circumstances. Dr. Dale presented a fine summary on KE but KE can be controlled and used in different ways. The vehicle, operator, and operating conditions work together to effect the results. You can't account for all situations and circumstances. For those who insist on absolute speeds of 55, why not chose 45 or 40? Point is, it is arbitrary. That being said, I drive at 55 - 60.

Question about the video...that I have watched several times in the past few years: If blowout forces are similar to the forces of passing truck...as the video alludes to, and you are supposed to accelerate if a blowout occurs, should you accelerate when a truck passes or a gust of wind comes from the side. I'm just kidding, just trying to point out possible inconsistencies with the video explanation.

'01 Alpine 36 FDDS
SteveS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 07:36 AM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks Dale for the great KE explanation. I guess I'm a perfect example of a little knowledge being dangerous in the wrong hands.

Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 07:50 AM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Everyone is sorry for the loss of a life. But the point is that just because 75 mph is posted as a maximum, you do not have to drive that fast. You should drive according to the road conditions, the type vehicle and your own driving abilities.

Several things can enter into the case/results of the wreck. Speed was definitely a factor. What was the rated speed and capacity of the tires? What was the driving ability of the driver...any training? Why were the overhead cabinets on the coach not better secured? Lots of questions.

Possibly a lower speed and better driver training could have turned a disaster into just an accident. I am all for training and licensing of individuals for an RV, be it a motorhome or a trailer.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 04:47 PM   #47
First I must say what ashame and send our condolences to Mrs.Roderick and the family.

This past April I too had a left front blowout on our Alpine. We were traveling north on I 95 with the cruise set at 62 MPH. We have the smart tire monitoring system, have had the coach weighed several times and have never had the tires under inflated. Nothing visibly wrong with the tires. The tires had 48,000 miles and were 4 and half years old. We were on the road less than a half hour. With no warning what so ever there was a very loud bang and all hell broke loose. The coach began shaking terribly and went into the left lane (no one next to us) it took all my strengh to gain control and get us safely to the side of the road.

Yes I had seen the video and taken classes telling me to step on the gas rather than the brake- easier said than done. My first reaction was to step on the brake (wrong thing to do) I then stepped on the gas not sure if it helped everything was happening so fast. All I can say is we were very lucky as we suffered some coach damage a great scare and 6 new tires a week or so later. The copilot would go anywhere on the remaining old tires. FMCA towing came through and we were back on the highway with a new tire in 2 or 3 hours. One thing I must add is I am not sure if my copolit would have had the strength to get us back under control so I all I can say we were lucky.
Traveling Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 05:24 PM   #48
Alpine Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Although we all hear "check the tire pressure regularly" how many know the ACTUAL weight of their vehicles and inflate the tires to the CORRECT pressure? I for one am guilty of assuming that WRV knew what they were doing (BOY is that a RASH assumption) and kept the tires on our 2006 36' MDDS at the 120 front and 105 rear they recommended.

When I recently replaced the "like new tires" after their 5th birthday I stopped at a closed Oregon truck scale and weighed the coach's front and rear axles. Although I could have used "G" load range tires I installed "H" which is what the coach came with but I lowered the air pressure to 105-F/100-R PSI and could have gone as low as 100/80.

I also have a Pressure Pro tire pressure monitoring system which I use to keep an eye on all six coach tires and the four on the Jeep.

I'm not sure how much less of a "bang" and shock the 15 less PSI in the tires would make but it must have some impact.

2011 Allegro Bus
being pushed by a
2015 Lincoln MKC
NorCal C&H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 05:33 PM   #49

Alpine Owners Club
"....The motorhome then went
through the UDOT fence, impacted
a dirt berm and vaulted,”

Just a guess, but vaulted, sounds catastrophic.
Tom, Patty, Hannah "The Big Dog" and Abby Kat, Indianapolis, Indiana 2000 36' FDS 72232 Our Photos
We live out in our old van. Travel all across this land. Drive until the city lights dissolve into a country sky, me and you - hand in hand.
Tom and Patty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 05:42 PM   #50

Alpine Owners Club
[QUOTE=When I recently replaced the "like new tires" after their 5th birthday I stopped at a closed Oregon truck scale and weighed the coach's front and rear axles. Although I could have used "G" load range tires I installed "H" which is what the coach came with but I lowered the air pressure to 105-F/100-R PSI and could have gone as low as 100/80.[/QUOTE]

I am trusting that you used the manufactures charts to determine the correct air pressure. In most (not all) instances, an "H" lets you raise psi to carry more weight. But at 100psi a "G" and "H" are usually carrying the same load.

My front axle weights 10,300 with 325 more pounds on the left tire. I run 105 on a "G"
Tom, Patty, Hannah "The Big Dog" and Abby Kat, Indianapolis, Indiana 2000 36' FDS 72232 Our Photos
We live out in our old van. Travel all across this land. Drive until the city lights dissolve into a country sky, me and you - hand in hand.
Tom and Patty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 06:20 PM   #51
Winnebago Owners Club
Originally Posted by gjstacy View Post
Meanwhile, if you haven't seen this video on how to handle your rig in a blowout situation, please take time to watch this: YouTube - How to Handle a Tire Blowout in Your RV It just might save your life!!
Thank you so much gjstacy for posting that video. I drove tractor trailer for 7 years and have experienced blowouts whose explosion sounded like a bomb went off! The sound alone will scare the h@!! out of you! I was taught to maintain a steady accelerator pedal and gradually slow down.

With regard to the policeman stating that speed was not a factor, I'm sure he was looking at it from a legal standpoint. It may have been legal to drive the RV at 75 but definitely not prudent! The fact that the tires were original tells the whole story - they were ticking timebombs and the speed and heat was the detonator.

Whoever said that perhaps the cruise control was engaged may be onto something. It appears that the power was still on when the RV crossed the median, the opposing lane of traffic and jumped the berm on the other side. Otherwise I'd think that the RV would have scrubbed off some speed and wouldn't have had the momentum to "vault" over the berm.

Condolences to Mrs. Roderick... hopefully she will recover from her physical and mental injuries.
Ron, Joan
2005 Itasca Sunova 34A
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
RVJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 11:03 PM   #52
I also issue our condolences to Ms. Stacy. This is a horrible event to go through and we wish you the best in your recovery from the event. Having been in a few serious accidents myself, I have some empathy for what you are going through.

While most of us don't know the tire brand, there's a few things that may be noteworthy. IIRC, I think most of the coaches made by WRV during that time, like ours, had Toyo tires, and most of them on the 36' coaches were 11R22.5's. I was told by WRV shortly after we bought our new coach in May of 2006 that Toyo had some tread separation issues on a number of brands of coaches, and issued a directive to WRV and others insisting that front tire pressure be 120 psi and rear 110 psi, and that was the placard placed on our 2006. Further, I believe we also got a letter reminding us of that tire pressure from WRV. WRV switched to Goodyear G670's shortly after building our coach (VIN 75561), and I remember being told by WRV it was because "Toyo didn't want to keep building RV tires" because of these issues.

We followed that directive and subsequently replaced our Toyo tires early, at 4 years of tire age and 32,000 miles with the Bridgestone R250 295/80R 5''s because we didn't like the front tire wear, the stiff ride at the high pressure and the profile of the Toyo 11R22.5's. The new tires allowed about 15-20 psi reduction in pressure at the same weight on the corners. The ride and handling improvement has been very significant in the 10,000 miles since we replaced them.

If the tires were 7-8 years old, as reported on an earlier post, I'm speculating they were the original Toyo 11R22.5's and may have had this tread separation issue that WRV told us about. And perhaps the Roderick's didn't know about this issue, especially if they weren't the original owners, or didn't receive this info from WRV.

In any case, whether this is true or speculation, it reminds us again of the "replace after 5 years or XX (40,000?) miles" rule of thumb that has been repeated many times on this and other forums. It's not just speed, which may or not be an event, but it's also tire age and air pressure vs. weight, which has been repeated many times on this discussion. While none of these individually may have caused the accident, they could have been contributing factors.

We can also hope that as we learn more about the causes of this accident that they be shared with others on this forum so that we can all learn from it and perhaps prevent another tragic event from occurring.
Former Owner, 2006 36MDDS
2010 Arctic Fox 22GK Travel Trailer
2007 Toyota Tundra
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 02:16 AM   #53
How much of a concern do you have of an over correction after a front tire failure? That was the Ford Bronco problem a decade ago. It wasn't the blowout that was the problem, it was over correction after the blowout that led to roll overs.

I'll ask again, how much of a concern is it to avoid excessive steering correction after the blowout? It seems to me that it would take much more of an over correction vs. the SUV problem.

2003 Alpine Coach 40FD
2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited in tow.
2 kids, no dogs or cats.
GTHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 04:10 PM   #54
Newmar Owners Club
Originally Posted by SteveS View Post
...should you accelerate when a truck passes or a gust of wind comes from the side...
I would say "yes..", powering into any force is a way to oppose the force. I believe I have actually used the accelerator to do just that.
Ron... WB7DJV
2000 38' Dutch Star | 2006 Grand Cherokee | SilverLeaf VmsPc Engine Monitor | TST TPMS
Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 04:29 PM   #55
Alpine Owners Club
While I totally agree that we shouldn't drive at 75mph, I also want to mention again that my contact in Utah advised me that Mrs. Roderick was traveling uphill at the time of the accident. Towing a 5,000 pound vehicle, I would be surprised if they were going 75mph as they were pulling up a hill. Of course, it depends on how steep the hill was, but we pull a 5,400 pound Yukon, and in a newer (though heavier) coach, it doesn't take much of a hill to slow us down.

I also wonder about the cruise control issue, but if it was on, it seems that would mean she didn't hit the brake. Perhaps it was all in overcorrection. I have watched the video a few times, but I don't drive the rig that often, so have no idea how I would react in the same situation.

Mrs. Roderick, you are in my prayers!
Gail, John & Mindy Stacy
2007 Alpine SE 40FDQS, 2011 Equinox
ACA & Alpine SoCal
gjstacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 04:30 PM   #56
Alpine Owners Club
I think by the time you realized the need to "power into" the wind-gust or truck-push, it would already be too late to bother. They only last a second or so. The flat tire keeps pulling/pushing till you stop.

2003 Alpine 40FDTS (400HP)
Long Beach, CA
takepride is offline   Reply With Quote