Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-10-2011, 06:22 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Baffling Electrical Problem

For Ted and those that thought my long silence meant I was dead, be assured that I am still vertical. But I have a baffling elec problem on my 2001 FDDS 38ft. I plugged a vacuum cleaner into the GFCI outlet on the wall behind and to the right of the stove. I heard a "pop" sound and the long kitchen light went out. Now that wall plus the convection oven are dead as are the other GFCI outlets. The non-GFCI labeled outlets along the curb side of the living room and on the wall enclosing the refer still work. The non-GFCI labeled outlets in the bedroom and over the aisle side of the sink do not.

The bathroom GFCI will not reset and has no power to it. The 50 amp incoming power cord from the power pole has 120 volts on both legs. I have repeatedly switched off all circuit breakers in the bathroom and turned them back on and I have done the same thing on the power pole circuit panel. Nothing changes ????

Any ideas?

Norm

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2011, 06:40 PM   #2

Did you reset the gfci outlets? The little button in the center of each outlet.

Old 04-10-2011, 06:54 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Resetting GFCI outlets

The only GFCI outlet that has a reset button is the prime one in the bathroom and it will not reset-- probably because there is no power to it-- according to my voltage meter. ??

I am starting to wonder if I have a bad breaker-- but WRVs labels only say General Purpose. ???

Norm
Old 04-10-2011, 07:05 PM   #4

Sounds like the same problem I had a little over a year ago. Somewhere from the main panel to that side of the coach there had to be a wear point and there was an open or short circuit (don't remember). I could not find it, so I just fished another lead (romex) over to that side. As I remember the power went from the circuit breaker panel on the passenger side to the GFCI in the bathroom and then on to the kitchen from there. It took some effort and some reaching and a few bruises on the arms, but it was not a difficult task.

Initially I thought it to be the GFCI and replaced the receptacle with no change, which is why I did what I did.

Good luck.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 08:09 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
I found that the wires in back of the gfi-bathroom outlet were cut really short and had pulled loose. Disconnect all AC; then look at the mechanical (push on) connections on the back of the plug.
Good luck, Matt
zinom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 08:47 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I just replaced all those "push on" switches and outlets, with high quality screw down replacements..
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 09:12 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
I don't know your particular coach but could you have a fuse that blew at the same time the CFCI tripped? The fuse might prevent power from reaching receptacle.

Dave
Old 04-10-2011, 09:34 PM   #8

Norm, does the circuit have power when operating with the generator?
In our 2000 38ft. the power does go from the panel to the bathroom gfci, to the kitchen then to the front television.
We have been having some inverter issues and when we shut off the 110 breaker for the inverter and change power over to the invert mode the kitchen receptacles, lights, and TV will work. We can turn the 110 breaker back on and all power is restored. Then shut the invert mode off. Several other units are acting this way and the source of difficulty has not been identified. Tough to diagnose the inverter when it is working well.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:36 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Oregon,

Check your inverter for a popped circuit breaker. The Zantrex has two breakers. One is a 30 the other is a 25. I'll bet one of those is tripped.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:59 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Isn't the convection oven on a separate circuit? Sure sounds sort of like the problem we had when the breakers on the inverter went out!

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 11:58 PM   #11

Gotta be the breaker on the inverter I had the same problem.
Old 04-11-2011, 03:30 AM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
I'm thinking you have 2 GFCIs in series... most likely hidden, like under a sink.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:28 PM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
I'm thinking you have 2 GFCIs in series... most likely hidden, like under a sink.
But the convection oven is on a separate circuit, not the light (GFI) circuit.

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:34 PM   #14

That GFCI should reset IIRC w/out 110V to it if it still works. If it won't reset either it still senses the >0.5 milli-ohm short that tripped it in the 1st place, or its broken.
Or maybe I'm nuts.