Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2012, 11:22 AM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Banks Engineering PowerPack kit for the Cummins ISC 8.3-liter diesel engine

Has anyone installed the Banks PowerPackŪ TLC can boost power in the Cummins ISC from 350 to 431 hp measured at the flywheel.

Banks Power | PowerPack
Glen Rock, NJ & Glamis, Ca
Rippenrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2012, 11:33 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
imho - banks has a much better sales and marketing department than engineering dept

there are better performing while being cheaper solutions... again - IMHO and 15 years in the deezle performance world,,,
Old 10-23-2012, 11:34 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Banks measure all their test at the rear wheel on a MH.
Before and after test can be done with a Dynamometer.

PowerPack
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:43 AM   #4

I installed the Power Pak Kit on my rig this past summer. I can tell you that my fuel mileage went from 6.5 MPG to 8.5 MPG average. In addition, I find the MH is much better to drive with the added HP. No more PUSHING up hills. I can set the cruise at 60 MPH and stay in 6th gear most of the time.
At a gain of 2 MPG it was well worth the investment. IMHO
Old 10-23-2012, 02:23 PM   #5

Re the Banks system, I do not know if the Banks marketing department is better than their engineering department. But I do know that I love the PowerPak system on our ISC.

Ya' see, I have the benefit of experiencing performance with AND without the PowerPack working as designed. When I purchased the coach almost 3 years ago, the system worked fine. Unfortunately, last year a wiring loom/computer (Ottomind)issue reared its ugly head....and the Banks system no longer worked as it had. Oh, the ISC ran just fine....but the diminished performance was truly amazing, especially out here in the West where a hill or a moutain grade lurks around many corners.

Fortunately, the Banks guys provided excellent technical advice that helped me track down the gremlin....and they also helped with a very nice discount on the parts required to fix it. Couldn't ask for more on a 7-8 year old system or from the Banks guys that built it. And that is something worth considering when installing any aftermarket performance kit.

I can only say that the difference in perfomance with and without the Banks PowerPack is astounding. The improvement in low-end torque when moving an almost 30,000 lb. coach is nothing short of remarkable, most noticeable on freeway entrance ramps and at traffic signals. And the increased horsepower really shines in helping maintain safe highway speed on our hills and mountain grades. Fuel mileage?? Can't say 'cause I have not compared with and without. Others should be able to provide their experience. I can only say that I like the coach without the Banks system....but I love the coach with it!

Hope this helps....
Old 10-23-2012, 02:42 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Since I live at 7200' and pretty much go up from there while towing either a Cherokee 4 down or a Wrangler on a trailer I've been drooling over the idea of a bit more HP especially for the price of the Banks systems. The only concern I have is the HP/TQ rating of the transmission.

Dennis was it you that called Allison and was told "we don't recommend it but have never heard of a failure"? I know I read that somewhere in my research but can't find the post.
daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:31 PM   #7

I purchased my coach with the Banks Power pack kit already in place and to be truthful I was some what concerned about it but after putting over 3500 miles on it myself I've come to love it.In our neck of the woods we have 7-10% grades and even with the toad hooked the hills are not a problem what so ever.What I really like is the take out on the freeway on ramps, it pulls like a mule.
2003 34FDDS Alpine Banks 430hp #74869
Viola, Idaho 3rd Armored Cav & 3rd Infantry Division
tiredvet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveshan View Post
Since I live at 7200' and pretty much go up from there while towing either a Cherokee 4 down or a Wrangler on a trailer I've been drooling over the idea of a bit more HP especially for the price of the Banks systems. The only concern I have is the HP/TQ rating of the transmission.

Dennis was it you that called Allison and was told "we don't recommend it but have never heard of a failure"? I know I read that somewhere in my research but can't find the post.
It was not me to call Allison but I did read the same thing and if I remember correctly, it was Mr. D that made the comment. The statement was something to the effect that the same transmission is used in the 450-475 HP units and as such is not a concern.
As mentioned in this thread, I like my MH but with the Banks Kit installed, I LOVE my MH.
The only thing it won't climb now is a "Peeled Tree"
Old 10-24-2012, 08:18 AM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Banks PowerPack System Is no longer available

Banks PowerPack System Is no longer available as per Banks this morning. There might be some new old stock out there. Banks stopped making due to not being a good seller.
Glen Rock, NJ & Glamis, Ca
Rippenrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:10 AM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Darn, looks like the stinger system is gone off of their website also. So much for those of us thinking about "maybe someday"
Old 10-24-2012, 12:51 PM   #11

I sure hope that I will be able to get parts or assistance with mine if needed?
Old 10-24-2012, 12:55 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Don't count on it. This thread is about someone who needs a module for their system and Banks pretty much said "sorry".
Old 10-24-2012, 01:48 PM   #13

Just got off the phone with a Banks Rep, he said that they pulled the kit for the ISC until they get a supplier for the module (hopefully not China) and that they have every intension of reinstating the power pack for the ISC.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:04 PM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rippenrick View Post
Banks PowerPack System Is no longer available as per Banks this morning. There might be some new old stock out there. Banks stopped making due to not being a good seller.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredvet View Post
Just got off the phone with a Banks Rep, he said that they pulled the kit for the ISC until they get a supplier for the module (hopefully not China) and that they have every intension of reinstating the power pack for the ISC.
Well, one of the two of you is right, tiredvet I'm hoping the guy at Banks you talked to is correct. I love our coach right now but a few extra ponies would be nice.

Tags
cummins, diesel