Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-14-2009, 08:33 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim&MaryJo View Post
Thank you Mr. Stewart!

I tried this solution and was a litttle skeptical when I un-boxed and pre-fitted. Package comes with the ability to move the crank gear position, which I needed both horizontally and for depth.

My original fan was permanently mounted on the crossbar, requiring some delicate Sawsall action, taking me past the point of no return.

I'm happy to report that this product looks great and works well. It also emits sufficent ambient noise to provide aural camoflage.
Glad it worked for you.

It is a nice little upgrade and all considered, compared to replacing the entire fan and the associated costs and labor, a good deal.

I too was skeptical of the advertised improvements, but unlike many products today, their claims were true!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2009, 01:36 PM   #16

And thank you also Mr Stewart: I also ordered and installed the vortex fan based on your recommendation. Everything went according to plan and works great.

40' 2004 ALPINE COACH FDTS
chris cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 01:44 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
You are also welcome!

It is a great upgrade for $39.95 and simple to do. (I did it, so it must be simple)
Old 07-14-2009, 03:10 PM   #18

I just checked and the price went up to $64.95. I guess this thread prompted enough orders to justify a price increase.
Old 07-14-2009, 03:48 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerMike View Post
I just checked and the price went up to $64.95. I guess this thread prompted enough orders to justify a price increase.

I just checked and they are still $39.95, you must be looking at the wrong product. Look half way down,

http://www.rvandvansurplus.com/roofv...Vehicletype=RV#

VORTEX FAN RETROFIT KIT FOR EXISTING VENTS. ADDS A HIGHER POWER FAN FOR MAXIMUM AIR FLOW WITHOUT HAVING TO CHANGE YOUR ENTIRE VENT AND JEOPARDIZE THE SEAL. FITS ANY STANDARD 14x14 VENT FROM ELIXIR, JENSEN, OR VENTLINE. COMES WITH EASY FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS AND CAN ALL BE DONE WITH ONLY A PHILLIPS SCREWDRIVER. UPDATE YOUR OLD INEFFICENT POWER VENT WITH THE BRAND NEW HIGH VOLUME VORTEX FAN.

Item #036014 $39.95
Old 07-14-2009, 03:55 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Stewart View Post
I just checked and they are still $39.95, you must be looking at the wrong product. Look half way down,

RV Roof Vents and RV Escape Hatches: Manual & Motorized Roof Vents, Roof Vent Fans, RV Roof Vent, RV Vent, Van Roof Vent, Elixir Vent. Ventline Vent, Vent Lid, RV Hatch, Camper Hatch, Escape Hatch, Motorhome Roof Vent, Motorhome Vent, Trailer Roof Ve#

VORTEX FAN RETROFIT KIT FOR EXISTING VENTS. ADDS A HIGHER POWER FAN FOR MAXIMUM AIR FLOW WITHOUT HAVING TO CHANGE YOUR ENTIRE VENT AND JEOPARDIZE THE SEAL. FITS ANY STANDARD 14x14 VENT FROM ELIXIR, JENSEN, OR VENTLINE. COMES WITH EASY FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS AND CAN ALL BE DONE WITH ONLY A PHILLIPS SCREWDRIVER. UPDATE YOUR OLD INEFFICENT POWER VENT WITH THE BRAND NEW HIGH VOLUME VORTEX FAN.

Item #036014 $39.95
And I just ordered one at that price. Thanks for the recommendation.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 07:44 PM   #21

My bad; further down they will sell you the whole vent assembly w/the Vortex fan in it for $65.
Since I slandered them I figured I better buy something, so I ordered the kit.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:59 AM   #22

I suggest that in addition to a philips screwdriver with a shaft that is 6-7" long and only 3/8 wide it would be a very good idea to have two self tapping screws. 1 1/2". I also added 8" to the two power wires. That allowed me to duct tape the wires to the inside of the fan. This may save at least one trip back to the hardware store.

Old 07-20-2009, 10:12 PM   #23

A week after the install I've never been happier. But, Mr. Stewart, the fan is anything but quiet. When I turn it on it feel as if the coach is rising up a bit. Or maybe it's me. Don't mistake what I'm saying. The sound is just fine and the results are even better. Thanks, again

Old 07-21-2009, 06:32 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
You do have a point about the level of sound. To me, it is about the same as the Fantastic Fans. I guess, that is was why I described it as quiet. It is the hazard of X amount of CFM through a screen of the size that it is.

It is louder than the buzzing fly fan that was on there, but it is the air moving, not the fan motor. I am glad it worked out for you too.

Maybe that lift is it trying to take the motor home off the ground.

Jim
Old 07-30-2009, 05:34 PM   #25

Just ordered a dozen more. Figure to mount them in the basement and improve mileage or create a hover craft

Mine's much louder than my fantastic fans too. Maybe some are louder than others. In any case, it is quieter than its predecessor and I'm a happy camper...
Old 07-31-2009, 08:39 PM   #26

Just put mine in. Might be quieter than the cheepi-mini fan, but not by a huge amount. I wish I woulda put the Fantastic Fan in instead; woulda had to seal the flange on the roof, but woulda been easier over all except for peeling off the OEM roof goop, and woulda been nicer. The Vortex air volume is great, however.

Coupla 4 notes:
1) I didn't see in the instructions that the dome crank gearbox on the new fan might need to be reseated. There are two locations to seat the gearbox on the new fan frame, and kit came w/gearbox in wrong location from my application. I had to figure that out, and fortunately did just as I was about to rebox it to ship back.
2) wire routing isn't well addressed. I drilled a hole in the side wall of the fan surround to pull the wires thru down to where OEM wiring is. That requires cutting a small slot in the lower trim piece, tastily referred to as the "garnish" in the instructions. The hole & slot don't show in the finished install.
3) I took the screen & fan blade off the motor for easier dry fit & wire routing during the install; worth the extra minute IMO.
4) the kit's chinese wire nuts are too small for most of the wire strip lengths encountered; a coupla wire nuts next larger size (or 4 as I used to splice on 10" or so extensions to the black & white wires for easier wiring) are a good thing IMO.

With the "garnish" off, I noted two things of interest:
a) the solar panel wiring runs along the rear side of the ceiling just above the luan and is accessible here after removing the OEM trim (garnish) piece; this may not be the same solar wire routing on all earlier models. Also there are orange & purple 14ga wires there.
b) there is a wire chase on the forward PS of the vent cut out heading forward toward the fridge that is empty, in case somebody is trying to put new wiring along that path. About 1"h x 2"w.
Old 08-01-2009, 07:18 PM   #27

Hello Mike,
I got one of these fans also, and didn't get the supplemental crank-gear instructions that were supposed to be in the box. Might this be the crank gearbox issue you're speaking of? I initally figured it couldn't be too hard to figure the thing out; but if you were about ready go give up and ship it back maybe it's a bigger problem than I thought.
Old 08-01-2009, 07:32 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Changing the gearbox location is not a major issue, it does not come with instructions. It involves removing the screws on the gearbox cover moving it over a hole, using the provided spacer and re-insert the screws.

The next Guy that does it, needs to please post pictures, mines already up.