Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-09-2015, 10:13 AM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
Missed your update post

Rick T, sorry I missed your battery install post. Here is some more helpful information about that one.

I have no idea what the first owner was trying to accomplish. His switch simply defeats the internal transfer switch purpose on the inverter. But, if the inverter is still powered to charge the batteries the internal transfer switch will still be active unless the inverter is turned off. in any case.

For keeping your batteries watered do as many of us have been doing. This trick goes all the way back to Edison and his RR power station maintenance in NY. He had his men put mineral oil in each cell of the batteries. I do this on my wet cells. Works like a champ.

Mineral oil has no reaction at all to the battery. It acts like a valve seal. All batteries gas but the bubbling releases corrosive moisture and that is what reduces the water level in the cells and corrodes the terminals and connections. The mineral oil lets the gasses escape but not the water. Many of us have gone years between water adds and our corrosion is very manageable. Any drugstore carries mineral oil as a laxative and it is very inexpensive.

Using it is not rocket science. After the cells are topped with water simply add a ounce or so to each cell. It just has to cover the surface area and doesn't need to be thick.

Where are you reading the 13+/- jumping as opposed to the 14V reading? Most coach monitoring panels don't agree with the inverter remote reading. I have no clear answer why.

New batteries want to be cycled a few time to get them stable. I suggest running dry dock a few time over the next week or so. Being summer this may be a problem.

Here is one solution that may work: If your coach has a generator auto start system that is sensitive to the state of the batteries you are golden. If you have cool night temperatures you can run your roof fan to pull cool air for sleeping. If you have a space heater, plug it in to load the inverter. (Of course your shore power is off for this time.) When the batteries sag to the generator trigger point, it will start and recharge your battery bank.

Repeat this cycle for a few nights in a row and then test the battery voltages.

If you have a standard RV refrigerator running on DC this may be the current fluctuation.

Hope things improve for you. Many happy trails.

Rick Y

Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2015, 01:48 PM   #30

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
An inverter of the type you likely have (The kind that also charges battries) should have it's own bypass built in They are not needed and in fact are dangerous.. I would have it re-wired properly

I am not kidding about the danger.

Old 07-10-2015, 11:34 AM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
An inverter of the type you likely have (The kind that also charges battries) should have it's own bypass built in They are not needed and in fact are dangerous.. I would have it re-wired properly

I am not kidding about the danger.
I agree with your concern. By-passing the inverter internal transfer sw is not a good idea. If, for some strange reason, the inverter comes on line with the commercial AC present and they bump there WILL be much smoke, whistles a big bang and then a fire. I guess that constitutes danger.
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 08:05 AM   #32

Alpine Owners Club
That battery isolator does not look like the original. Your coach and chassis batteries should have a common ground, but the positive should only connect through the isolator.

Jeeper64060 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, power