Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-12-2007, 03:18 PM   #1

It used to be that when I used the auto fill system, all the floats would come to the top and stay there. Now, I notice that when I run the water thru the system all the floats pop up, but when I stop the flow of water thru the system, a couple of the floats drop back down. When I check the water level in those cells, they appear to be fine. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

gator67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2007, 03:18 PM   #2

It used to be that when I used the auto fill system, all the floats would come to the top and stay there. Now, I notice that when I run the water thru the system all the floats pop up, but when I stop the flow of water thru the system, a couple of the floats drop back down. When I check the water level in those cells, they appear to be fine. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

gator67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 06:47 PM   #3

I have the same issue, and contacted the manufacturer of the float caps. They told me that as long as the floats appear -- high, low, middle -- the water level is acceptable. If you can't see the floats, even part way up, then there's not enough water.

This seems to work for me, along with watching whether water comes out of the reservoir when filling. If it doesn't (water just recycles back to the reservoir), there's enough water in the cells.

So that's what I've learned from using the system and talking to the manufacturer.
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 07:40 AM   #4
hf

Solo Rvers Club
Are you refering to a factory instaled system or aftermarket. I had about givin up on a factory insaledon a 2004 cause floats dont seem to move any.and all were not even.
Old 05-15-2007, 08:26 AM   #5

HF
On my 05 the floats were too long, Original ones was designed for a different battery. new floats supplied by WRV had shorter necks on the floats, They now work well.
Old 05-15-2007, 07:35 PM   #6

My floats are factory installed, and they work reasonably well, as long as I see them moving.
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 08:17 AM   #7

My floats were also installed by WRV, they changed Interstate battery and they required a shorter neck on float, They didn't know there was a problem as floats were bottoming out and always showed as being full. not sure if thats your problem. good Luck
Old 06-18-2007, 06:18 AM   #8

I had earlier posted a "help" thread because my slides wouldn't work, and it turned out that the house batteries were low, as suggested by several forum members. In addition, the batteries weren't holding a charge.

Turns out, when I took the coach in for service it was noted that the auto-fill system was not working properly, and a number of cells were either dry or low in spite of religiously using the auto fill system and fast idling the motor regularly when not going on trips.

A word of warning! DO NOT expect the auto-fill to absolve you of checking your batteries visually! My mechanic said most of the problem seems to be in the battery caps, which somehow preclude the water going everywhere it is supposed to go.

Net result is that I now have 6 new Trojan T105 house batteries, and I have installed a Flow-Rite 6V kit on each battery ($30/battery) at the suggestion of my mechanic. He says this should solve some of the battery caps preventing water from going everywhere when the auto-fill is used. He also said to be sure to visually check the batteries regularly anyhow.

This is not the first case of which I am aware where the auto-fill system did not work as it is supposed to. There is obviously a problem with the OEM combination of auto-fill and original batteries/caps.

Double check the operation of your system or you will have a very expensive experience!
Old 06-18-2007, 07:18 AM   #9

We had/have the same problem as Rick Coleman. It seems, though, that our batteries did not ruin before the problem was discovered.

So, these automatic float systems cannot be counted on.

Beverly and Buddy
2006 36' FDDS
Old 06-18-2007, 01:05 PM   #10

I had the same problem as Rick, but I went the more expensive route and installed AGM batteries.

Also, after service a while back, I went to add water to the old batteries using the fill system, only to find the solution in the reservoir was blue!!! The nice mechanic had filled the distilled reservoir with windshield washer fluid!!