Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-01-2009, 12:40 PM   #1

Battery Auto-Fill

Some time back I replaced the junk WRV battery auto-fill system (the parts that connect to the batteries) with a Fill-Rite system (?) and it has worked perfectly ever since. About once a month I press the button to top up the batteries and when full the overage flows back into the water bottle. I can see and hear the return water which tells me all is topped up. Yesterday I pressed the button, the pump sound told me it was working (at least I assumed so)...but there is no return water. I topped up the bottle to make sure I had enough water- still no results. Any thoughts? Pump, hoses, battery connectors?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2009, 02:59 PM   #2

Either you are still filling batteries (hope not; you should be able to see water line go down if so) or the pump is spinning but not pumping. That could be due to pump problem or a blockage in the line; any lines kinked or pinched, or maybe a float stoppering further flow?

Old 07-01-2009, 07:19 PM   #3

It looks like a little disassembly is in order for tomorrow.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:43 PM   #4

considering that all the batteries are topped off, while you press the button...and you have no return flow..... pump is not working...

if you have empty cells and nothing is filling.. bad pump....

the only thing to consider is do you have any kinks that would block flow? If not- that pump has to be suspect.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:52 AM   #5

Rick, I have never had a problem with the battery fill system that came with the Alpine except for the incorrect floats that WRV replaced. I did try to look up the Fill rite system and I could not locate it. Fill Rite makes a liquid fuel transfer pump to my knowledge. The only system I found was flow rite and it is pretty much the same as the original unit on the Alpine. How often to fill the batteries is pretty much dictated by the weather. What is the big difference?
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 08:39 AM   #6

Ted- My mistake...it is Flow Rite. Sorry about that. I was depending on my memory, which is suspect at best. I only replaced the parts that connect to the batteries, not the pump itself.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:21 PM   #7

I believe on 05/06 models WRV was using a windshield washer reservoir w/electric pump. If the pump is snafu'd you should be able to match it @ a local parts house. Probably have to take it w/you.
Old 07-02-2009, 04:53 PM   #8

Rick,

I replaced all our batteries with Lifeline AGM batteries and don't use the reservoir or the pump, except to hold a little water for cleaning minor things back in that compartment. So, if you have trouble finding a match for the pump or the pump and reservoir, I could take mine off our coach and send it to you.
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 08:17 PM   #9

I got a good look at it this afternoon. The reservoir has a black cylindrical unit (about the size of an extra-long film can) pressed into it at the bottom front. A hose comes out of the black cylinder, and an electrical plug connection is at the top. When unplugged I get no noise, so I guess the black cyl is the pump. Checked ALL hoses to and from the batteries and they appear fine, so the pump must be the culprit. Does the pump pry out of the front of the reservoir, or do I have to pull the entire assembly out of the coach? If the pump will pop out this fix shouldn't be too tough, but the pump seems to be pretty firmly in there. Removing the entire assembly looks like a two-man job because of the distance between the attachment bolts and access to the nuts (?).

Has anybody done this before?

Old...thanks for the offer. I will call if I need it. I'm leaving on my big summer trip in a few weeks and I want this system working.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:45 PM   #10

Rick,

I took the reservoir off once to dump and clean it. (A mechanic had filled it with blue windshield washer fluid.) If it is in the same location as the '04, one person can do it. Not easily, but doable.
Old 07-03-2009, 12:19 AM   #11

the pump does come out. you have to pull it slightly forward , away from the container and then spin it a quarter turn back and forth while applying slight upwards pressure. i have taken it out several times... also went toast on me...
Old 07-03-2009, 09:58 AM   #12

Wingding- thanks for the tip. I'll try today if I have a chance.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:05 AM   #13

Thanks to your suggestions I got the pump out. A flat blade screwdriver at the bottom and a little pulling and twisting and it popped right out. Of course, the water then drained out to the discharge hole level. I took some photos and copied down the data at the end of the pump and emailed it to Carolyn, the parts manager at Aubrey RV in Yakima, WA. She called back and said she had an exact replacement....$29.95. It's in the mail and I hope that solves the problem.
Old 07-10-2009, 06:58 PM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
Squeeze bulb solution

I bought a squeeze bulb from Camping World this spring, and connected it to the end of the tubing that I pulled off the reservoir that's accessed from the engine compartment door. The tubing that came with the squeeze bulb was placed in the distilled water jug. I was able to squeeze about a half gallon through the line to the eight batteries. It stopped accepting water once the cells were full. I then repositioned the tubing onto the reservoir. Seems to be a good solution to this common problem with Alpines that have the auto-fill system.

2007 Limited SE 36FDTS
Cardsfan is offline   Reply With Quote