Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2007, 05:37 AM   #15

I guess I am incorrect in my recollection of the switches. That will have to be checked as soon as I can get over to the Coach.

The WRV manual is not very complete and has little other than general information.

Gary, Do you have the original manual? If not, I can have a copy of mine made for you. Also, the previous owner had most, if not all, of the manuals for the machinery, which are now in my posession.
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2007, 01:25 PM   #16

Alpine Owners Club
Gary,

By pushing in the button on the cruise control then pushing the speed up/slow down slide to the left, it increases the idle. On mine, the first time I slide, it doesn't do much of anything. Each time after that, increases the idle speed by about 100 RPM. I usually bump the slide 4 or 5 times. This brings the idle up to 800/900 RPM.

Jeff
'98 Alpine Coach
36' FDS
2005 CRV
Old 05-27-2007, 01:52 AM   #17

Jeff,
you are just a wealth of knowledge...............JUST what I need.

Thanks.
Old 05-31-2007, 01:21 AM   #18

I was over the the Coach yesterday and tried the Cruise Control to increase the idle. It worked quite well but only had 1 step, which raised the idle to about 1,000 RPM from 600. That will suffice for me.

But here is a bigger problem:
When I tried to start the engine, the batteries would not produce anything other than the clicking spound associated with "Dead" batteries. We tried to use the Genny to start it, which did not appear to work. However, the House batteries appeared to be fully charged.

Here is where I get concerned. The Salesman told me the batteries went into parallel when the key was turned if the Chassis Batts were flat. Regardless, the Voltmeter showed only 8 Volts under any condition.
We finally brought a big battery charger over and ran it form the Genny, which did charge the Chassis batteries well enough to get it started.

Question 1: Why is there no switch to bring the House batteries on line in a case such as I experienced yesterday?
Question 2: Where is the "Big Boy" referenced in this thread?

Anyone?
Old 05-31-2007, 05:36 AM   #19

Alpine Owners Club
On our early 2000. Production date Oct. 1999, our battery boost switch is left of the drivers seat, right next to the exhaust brake switch. About at your left elbow as you are sitting in the seat.

The "Big Boy" is in the battery compartment on the left side up near the top of the wall. Two large, approximately 00 cables go to the "BigBoy".

The toggle switch for fast idle is on the right side of the steering wheel, the first switch on the left. Every time the switch is pressed, up or down, (I don't remember if up raised or lowered RPM), the RPMs rise 50.

Our cruise switch raises the RPMs to about 900, one step, just like you said Bob.

Also if I use the CB while on criuise control, the setting drops to a lower speed. There is some sort of RF interference with the engine electronics .

Hope I haven't muddied the water.
Old 05-31-2007, 06:37 AM   #20

Alpine Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom and Patty:
The "Big Boy" is in the battery compartment on the left side up near the top of the wall. Two large, approximately 00 cables go to the "BigBoy". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>The Big Boy is the can (just larger than a pop can) mounted on the frame on the left side of the picture below.

You can see the two big terminals on the top that go to house and chassis battery banks (Left-&gt;chassis & Right-&gt;house). Of the two small control terminals, one is looped to the house +12V and the other goes to a white wire that disappears behind the frame. This wire must go to the Batt Boost switch at the dash and I guess provides a ground when pressing the switch.

This would mean that the Big Boy is ONLY for jumping good house batteries across to low/dead chassis batteries.

Can anybody confirm?

p.s. I guess the Big Boy might still activate even with low voltage on the house batts. So, even if the gen won't start from the house batts, the Big Boy would jump them across to the chassis batts. Therefore, the Big Boy might work to join the two battery banks when either bank is low. Maybe??

Jeff_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 07:13 AM   #21

Alpine Owners Club
Jeff is correct!
The purpose or the Battery Boost switch (Big-Boy relay) is to allow you to start the motor from the house batteries.

Jeff – GREAT job on the battery compartment improvements.
Gary Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 10:16 AM   #22

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Unfortunately, if the chassis batteries are totally drained all the computer stuff in the coach shut off and the battery boost switch won't help start the coach. The only way to get back up and running is to jump from the house batteries to the chassis batteries or hook up a charger to the chassis batteries. At least that has been my sad experience.
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 01:10 AM   #23

T & P,
Thank you.

There is a blank filler next to the Pac-Brake switch on mine rather than a switch for the "Big-Boy".

The switch to the right of the steering column does nothing, Nada, Zero, zip, Bupkus. It is also labeled as if it were associated with the High Idle function.

I'll have to play with it more.

BTW, my Coach was made in Nov. of 1998. I suppose these changes were part of a Kaizan approach (Continuous Improvement), which I believe is, in some way, related to Kamikaze (Divine Wind)?
Old 06-01-2007, 01:17 AM   #24

On mine, there is no "Big-Boy" Solenoid........anywhere.

Sooooo, I guess I'll just have to buy one and install it. The wiring is simple enough.

Cost-saving measures are a wonderful thing, until they begin to compromise the intrinsic features required.
Old 06-01-2007, 01:22 AM   #25

Yes, it certainly is.
A model I wish to emulate once I get a "Big-Boy" installed and the corrosion on the Ground connection remedied (which could easily be interfering with the battery charging process).

BTW, my 1st job will be to clean and secure ALL the battery connections.
Old 06-01-2007, 01:32 AM   #26

That's exactly what I had to do; use a charger powered by the Generator, which had absolutely no problem starting.

But, if I install the Solenoid between the "Hot" sides of the batteries, activated by a momentary switch, this would be equivalent to "Jumping" one to the other.