Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2006, 07:43 PM   #1

Our O3 has a plastic box that covers the six house batteries and the two engine crankers. I removed the cover to check the water level in the batteries and found that the back rear positve house batery terminal was just a great big ball of white fuzz. After using baking soda a water to remove the growth I found there was nothing left of the terminals. I replaced the terminal ends, reinstalled and coated with the red terminal protectant. I went thru this same proceedure about a year ago, with this same terminal. Question. What is going on? Why is this happening so often. And is the plastic battery box really necessary? If it had not been there I would have seen the fuzz build up sooner. Any ideas?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2006, 07:43 PM   #2

Our O3 has a plastic box that covers the six house batteries and the two engine crankers. I removed the cover to check the water level in the batteries and found that the back rear positve house batery terminal was just a great big ball of white fuzz. After using baking soda a water to remove the growth I found there was nothing left of the terminals. I replaced the terminal ends, reinstalled and coated with the red terminal protectant. I went thru this same proceedure about a year ago, with this same terminal. Question. What is going on? Why is this happening so often. And is the plastic battery box really necessary? If it had not been there I would have seen the fuzz build up sooner. Any ideas?
Old 12-31-2006, 06:07 AM   #3

Hi Ross

How about more details? How often do you check your batteries? How old are they. Do you leave them on the charger all the time?
Many of us have gone to a buss distribution system to eliminate the battery terminal corrosion problems.

Danny
Danny Gayhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 06:10 AM   #4

I was told that it was caused by battery gassing and too many connections. When I found it necessary to removed all connections for cleaning, a local auto electrical company added a terminal on the frame and attached all the connection to it and ran one to the battery post. End of problem.
lundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 12:25 PM   #5

lundy,

I did the same thing with my batteries some time ago but also, like you, did not like the cover hiding the batteries. I removed the cover and it has been off ever since. The cover is nice because it hides the "ugliness" of the batteries (and what builds up) but it is also horrible because it hides the ugliness of what builds up on the batteries and surrounding areas i.e for the same reason. By the way, I have not had corrosion build up on the terminals since I put terminal strips on the frame and ran a single wire to the battery posts, but corrosion does seem to build up on the hold-down brackets and accompanying bolts/nuts. I have also reduced the amount of water I put in the cells. Rather than filling them to the lower fill level, I fill them to about half way between the bottom of the filler holes and lead plates. Still need to watch them but no massive "fuzz" build-up after about two years.
SteveS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 01:45 PM   #6

Thanks Steve:
I was really wanting to know if anybody saw any problem an removing the plastic cover. I will leave it off. It always did seem a bit silly. Yes battteries are ugly. But we need to get at them and visually inspect.
To answer the other questions. The batteries are Trojan T101s that I installed 2 years ago. And yes I did install a copper bus bar up above the batteries and did run all of the cables up to the bus bar. And yes the post in question is the postive terminal that DID have all of the cables atached to it. Now it has only two. The series strap from the ajoining battery and the cable that runs up to the bus bar. AND STILL THE WHITE FUZZ buildup. Admittidly I had not looked at the terminal in a few months. I do have the MH plugged in all the time. I am wondering if the small charge that is present constantly is causing the fuzz. I have Zantrax pure sine wave charger/inverter that is supposed to be mo betta.
Old 12-31-2006, 02:18 PM   #7

Today, while swapping out my 5-year old chassis batteries in advance of DRR, I too noticed some white "fuzzies" [no terminal damage] on the back post of the rear house battery. Along with the usual collection on the metal hold-down straps. I also noticed that the back post was/had been arcing to the metal hold-down strap--perhaps for sometime (coach has been in storage the last three months but this may explain the extra gassing/moisture on top of the house batteries--or not) So anyway, no more metal hold-down straps--will replace with some sliced -up cutting brd material before we leave for DRR.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 12:22 PM   #8

Thats a great idea Dean & Jan. I have run afoul of those steel hold down straps myself. Both because of the white fuzzy stuff building on the straps and while changing batteries I accidently shorted the positive cable to the steel strap. Saw stars for an instant. Think I will look for some fiberglass or some other non-metalic material to take the steels place. Any ideas? What is "sliced up cutting brd material"?
Old 01-01-2007, 12:44 PM   #9

Stretch--not an original idea here but have heard of several folks using the 1/2" thick plastic cutting boards [protects couter tops from knife cuts] to form hold-down blocks. Havent seen any in use but sounds like a good concept to cut/saw this material in strips/blocks to hold down the batteries....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 04:30 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
My 06 Apex don't have one!
APEXMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 05:21 PM   #11

Yes I think I know the plst cutting board material you speak of. That should work. It thisc enough and still flexible. Thnx
Old 01-02-2007, 05:29 PM   #12

Trex is plastic or wood or a combination of both?
Old 01-02-2007, 06:08 PM   #13

Trex decking products are made from a unique combination of reclaimed wood and plastic. Trex is made primarily with recycled plastic grocery bags, reclaimed pallet wrap and waste wood. (Direct from the Trex website) Although Trex decking is what people usually think of (1.5"x 6 or 8), they also make a landscape edging that is 1/2"x4" (.375"x3.5") in 16' lengths. This may be a handy material to use for RV projects of this nature.

We installed a Trex deck on our home 2 years ago and love it.

2002 Thor Tahoe 23FBGL TT, 28'
Paul Heuvelhorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 07:26 AM   #14

I replaced my metal straps with ABS plastic strips. I wanted a material with some flex.
I went to a local plastics shop and pulled some out of the scrap bin, they cut them to width and didn't charge me anything. Lucky day.
So far, there are no cracks and, except fot some road dust, my batteries are staying much cleaner.
2005 40FDTS/#75220
2006 GMC Envoy toad
htg3 is offline   Reply With Quote