Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-23-2009, 10:19 AM   #1

Battery Charging

Hello everyone..All of you have been a great source of knowledge and information.
I have a solenoid that snaps when the coach is sitting without any external power connected. Engineer Mike had a very similiar situation which he discribed and explained how to correct. I have one additional question. To increase my battery bank Amp Hour rating..are all adjustments made at the RS2000 control panel, located inside the cabinet, right front above windshield?

Thank You

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2009, 10:36 AM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Larry,

The settings for the charger can be adjusted at that control panel, the information on all of the settings is in your owners manual for the inverter/charger.

If you are having the solenoid cycle when you are not connected to power or the generator running, then the setting you are talking about won't cure your problem. I will have to assume that you have a solar panel, which can cause the cycling. Do you have a solar panel and is so do you have one or two?

Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 11:34 AM   #3

Larry B.

Thanks, I don't know if I have 1 or 2 solar panels. My coach is a 2009 34ft Alpine, Limited Series.
Old 04-23-2009, 01:10 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
They were listed as options, don't you have a list of what your coach has on it? (window sticker) My coach did the same thing until I hooked an other small panel to the chassis batteries.
Old 04-23-2009, 01:28 PM   #5

Larry B.

Thanks, I have, under options, one 100 watt solar panel and one 10 watt solar panel.
Old 04-23-2009, 03:44 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
The 100 watt panel is suppose to be hooked up to the house battery bank and the 10 watt to the chassis battery. The 10 watt panels are famous for failing, very cheap panel. When the chassis bank is not being charged by the 10 watt panel then the cycling can occur when there is not full sun on the 100 watt panel. The 100 watt will be charging both banks when the sun is causing it to have an good output. When the sun starts hitting the panel at a steep angle, the output drops off and load of both banks causes the voltage to drop and the Vansco cuts off the solenoid. With the load off, the house bank voltage rises, causing the Vansco to power the solenoid again. This keeps happening until the sun is low enough to stop the voltage in the house bank from getting high enough to trigger the Vansco.

I would check the voltage at both battery banks with no AC to the coach, there is sun shining directly on the solar panels and while the solenoid is not engaged (#19 on the Vansco module not lite.)
Old 04-23-2009, 04:21 PM   #7

Larry B.

Thank you Dale,

I will probably never use the solar panels for energy so, is there a way to disconnect them to eliminate the solenoid from snapping. Anyway, living in the northwest it may take awhile for a test. Thanks
Old 04-23-2009, 04:49 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
There is a fuse in a fuse block, in the back of the battery bay on my coach for the 100w panel. I am quite sure that it is not labeled correctly. When I get a chance I will check mine and let you know which fuse it is. The solar controller on mine, was located by the 110 volt circuit breaker panels and 12v fuses in the bath area. You can disconnect a wire there also. The 10w panel was wired directly to the chassis batteries, it should be a #8 or #10 gage red wire. It should not cause any problems if left connected. I did add a fuse to mine for safety. I DO NOT like that large of wire, running thru the coach with no fuse.
Old 04-23-2009, 05:16 PM   #9

Larry B.

Thanks again Dale !
Old 04-23-2009, 05:25 PM   #10

If you disconnect in the bath area, tape the wire ends well. The 100W panel will continue to produce electricity whenever in the sun and bare wire ends could short with unpleasant results if left to their own devices.
Old 04-23-2009, 06:08 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
'M I bad! Thanks, Mike, for mentioning what I should have!
Old 04-23-2009, 06:33 PM   #12

Thank you, EngineerMike and Dale.
Old 04-24-2009, 12:37 AM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Larry:

You might reconsider disconnecting both panels. The 100 watt will prolong the life of your batteries. It made all the difference in the lifespan on my previous coach, especially if you are not plugging in for storage.

Even if you don't boondock much, the panel can be used to keep the "float" charge without using so much energy from your meter, just program your inverter/charger to do so.
Old 04-24-2009, 11:23 AM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
Great point takepride. An easy cure for this is to turn off the chassis battery switch when these conditions are present. This will take the Vansco and solenoid out of the system.