Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2016, 08:31 PM   #1

Battery charging isolator vs combiner

I have a 1999 36 mds and just changed to a combiner to charge both house and starter battery banks while on shore power and running. Now I have sporadic "engine maint" light coming on. I have it configured with alternator connected to house bank with combiner to starter batt. Removed the old isolator. This should allow both banks to charge when running and on shore power.

Has anyone had this issue? Solution?
Also does anyone know what sensors are on the "engine maint" light?
Kirk Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2016, 08:57 PM   #2

Do you get the light at times that the house bank is low ?

If the voltage is low, the combiner may be delayed in combining to the start battery. ( I see this on mine )

It needs to bring the house batteries up to 13.5 volts before closing the contacts.

With the delay the start battery may stay low and cause a light.

It may, also, not be related to the charging system at all.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 09:16 PM   #3

It happens when both banks are fully charged. When disconnect the combiner and reconnect the isolator no "engine maint" lights. Once it turns on the only way to turn off is the shut down the engine. When restarting it may/may not come on.
Old 06-02-2016, 12:03 AM   #4

Have you tried moving the alt output to the start battery.

Could you be overcharging and having the combiner opening due to high voltage.

If your alternator has a sense wire that goes to the chassis battery it may make odd things happen.

Find out if it has a start battery supplied, 12 volt hot wire, to the regulator. If it does, just use a jumper on the alt from it too the output wire post.

With no diode isolator, you don't need a separate sense wire.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 12:14 PM   #5

Yes have tried both batteries moving sense wire with the alt output connection. It is strange in that yesterday drove 150 miles with no "engine maint" light.

Thinking of just removing the bulb in the "engine maint" and driving as there are separate warning lights for all major issues. Does anyone know what other sensors are connected to the "engine maint" warning light? The manual says this is a minor warning light.
Old 06-03-2016, 01:07 PM   #6

Thank you for your thoughts Twinboat. I think I am going to go with ignoring the "engine maint" light and see if I ID any other issues.
Old 06-03-2016, 02:59 PM   #7

Kirk I had an issue with the engine maintenance light coming off and on and that led to a few other problems.I felt like a gerbil on a cage wheel, once I changed out my ground fuse all was well.The fuse is located in the maintenance bay(pass rear).You can not tell that it has blown just by looking at it.I think it is a 300 amp fuse.Napa has them for about $7.00. I carry a spare now.The way mine fractured the ohm meter would show that the fuse was OK and then other times that it was faulty.
2003 34FDDS Alpine Banks 430hp #74869
Viola, Idaho 3rd Armored Cav & 3rd Infantry Division
tiredvet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, charging