RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-25-2019, 12:28 PM   #1
JWT

Alpine Owners Club
Battery fill pump

I donít know if this has been discussed in the pass or not but if anyone is looking to replace their battery fill pump, I just replaced mine.
NAPA # 665-1595 for $18.99 +tax.
It has an additional hose barb on the top, but itís a dummy not functional.
You can either cut it off or leave it on like I did itíll fit in the water bottle either way.
While I did this I also decided to replace all the fill hoses, went to Home Depot for the clear line.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0022.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	243503Attachment 1

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2019, 12:37 PM   #2
JWT

Alpine Owners Club
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0022.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	227.0 KB
ID:	243505

Old 04-27-2019, 12:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWT View Post
if anyone is looking to replace their battery fill pump, I just replaced mine.
Am interestred in how well this functions, as PO said the system never worked too well; hence, disconnected.
Old 04-27-2019, 02:40 PM   #4
JWT

Alpine Owners Club
Mine always worked good until the pump quit pumping. The old pump ran electrical wise but wasnít pumping. The new pump works good it moves a lot of water. I replaced my black rubber fill hoses with clear vinyl ones now you can actually see the water flowing.
Old 04-27-2019, 08:20 PM   #5

Ours works well. Usually 10-30 seconds of button pushing pops up all the caps. We had the same failure as JWT, pump make noise, pump no pump. Definitely easier than removing the caps and pouring in water. For our house/solar batteries I use a garden pump sprayer with the nozzle tip cut off. Easy to reach in and control water flow. Would work well on a coach without the watering system.

I believe our motor is a Freightliner or Peterbuilt windshield washer pump. Similar price $17-18. Made in Italy.
Old 04-28-2019, 01:02 AM   #6

All my original caps were gone so I use the hose and button on each cell. But that is still WAY faster than the old system of a squirt bottle and hose on my last motorhome!. My pump is very noisy, I might buy a new one to have on hand. Thanks for the part number information.
2005 Alpine 36FDDS #75268
MARYSVILLE, WA.
Jeep401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 10:58 AM   #7

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWT View Post
NAPA # 665-1595 for $18.99 +tax.
Ordered, auction site for $12.97, shipped.

Thanks, all, for the info.
Old 05-16-2019, 09:12 AM   #8

Question replacement caps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep401 View Post
All my original caps were gone so I use the hose and button on each cell.
May have to resort to this, unless someone knows a source for replacement caps.

These new 6v battery caps lock on with a set-up like the 3X battery speed vent by Flow Systems: The electrical cables interfere with its movement, making removal rather difficult.
Old 05-16-2019, 09:53 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by whalepirot View Post
May have to resort to this, unless someone knows a source for replacement caps.

These new 6v battery caps lock on with a set-up like the 3X battery speed vent by Flow Systems: The electrical cables interfere with its movement, making removal rather difficult.
For sure.
I just changed all my cables and routing so you can get the caps off was a pain. But after that, the pump and hose work very nice. Beats the heck out of my old method of a squeeze bottle and hose from my last coach
2005 Alpine 36FDDS #75268
MARYSVILLE, WA.
Jeep401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 09:35 AM   #10

Anyone know a source for replacement caps that accept the fill tubes? Thx
Old 05-20-2019, 09:42 AM   #11

It appears the WRV, not surprisingly, employed a fill system from golf carts or industrial applications. Redoing the system with a semi-automatic fill system is a process with parts available from places thast cater to the above applications. BFS caters to industrial and solar in addition to golf carts. The source in my last post, has caps, but they're setup for use of their nozzle; a quicker manual process.

Fill caps vary in size and fitment, dictated by battery design (screw-in, 1/4 twist [bayonet], etc. and depth to the plates.

Early cost indication is $3-400, so the specific water refill frequency (PITA size) will dictate. It'd be nice to just reach in, turn a valve and auto-fill all cells. I plan to speak with a local golf cart rebuilder for reliability and fuctionality.
Old 05-20-2019, 11:00 AM   #12

That seems quite pricey for 24 caps and some tubing. Do you have the reservoir and pump on the coach?
Old 05-20-2019, 06:09 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPioneer View Post
That seems quite pricey for 24 caps and some tubing. Do you have the reservoir and pump on the coach?
Agreed, and thx for the reply! It so happens that a fellow in my truck club owns a golf cart biz, and he agrees.

Yes, the tank and tubes remain in our '07 SE, down through the valve in the compartment. I see no provision for a pump (glad I bought a replacement) unless it's hidden; seems to be gravity feed w/o any mention of the system in the Owner's Manual.

He is getting me the setup plus a squeeze pump, attesting to it's working well, at his cost (matching Benjamins). A stumbling block in a workaround, is the connectors from tubes to caps. Considering early battery failure from inadequate watering, I consider the cost okay.

He recommends a manual pump to prevent overfilling, which is much easier to do utilizing a pump. As you know, overfilling causes spitting of electrolyte during charging, with attendant consequences.

Side note: Costco battery cells contain considerably fewer plates (less surface area) and are Mexican sourced Interstate. In his biz, he sees about a year of life from those Johnson Controls made units, while others deliver 7-12 years. I've not seen a year of battery life since I ceased buying them from Sears, over 20 years ago.
Old Yesterday, 11:43 PM   #14

Talking Done and worth it

The OEM system's tank still contained some water, albeit contaminated, and both OEM tubes and a s/o valve were wall-mounted aft of the batteries.

I got a universal kit with bayonet caps for the COSTCO batteries, so graciously sprung on me by Rick, the P.O., upon sale. The caps have in and out nubs for the clear tubing; an included cap is used to end the serially connected manifold.

I also bought a squeeze (fist) pump, speedier than the gravity feed. These new caps are designed to properly fill all 18 cells. I needed one plastic reducer to connect to the Alpine hoses but did not need the supplied tee fitting.

The install was an hour, as some cables needed small movement for clearances.

This crucial maintenance chore might take all of 5 minutes, with surely more accurate filling for best battery life.

Tags
battery