Alpine Owners Club
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Vancouver, WA
I also asked that question here, received similar replies, so I pulled the caps after running the system to see if it worked, EVERY CELL, each and every one was below the plates in the batteries. I took the thing off, and threw all the parts and pieces away, since it's junk, the only way to really know your batteries are filled correctly is to do it the old fashioned way, that is to look into each one, and add distilled water to the bottom of the cap hole. I had to fill the cells with distilled water and those batteries lasted for 3 years, with a lot of tender loving care. In 2011, I installed AGM's and have not regretted that in the least. If you have not picked up on how much most of us hate that system, GET RID OF IT, and either change to AGM batteries, or learn how to check those batteries about every two weeks and add water to them. And I would wager, since it's most likely not working now, has not worked before, those batteries are in serious need of tender loving care or replacement.
Here is my story for today: Around 4:30, (it's cold a heck outside the wind is blowing to beat all, blowing snow for a few minutes earlier), so I was watching the little electric heater and it's light blinked a couple of times and I heard a chatter noise, I checked the Silverleaf output and everything was showing ok, both legs around 121VAC coming in, thought nothing about it, but, as I was to learn, the 50A power in my pedestal was getting ready to fail. I went up to the adult center to play cards, and left the TV on the power screen selection, then turned everything off, left the little heater running and was gone about 45 minutes. Came home, looked at the TV and I missed the fact we were running on the inverter (Going to suggest to S/L they change the fields to bright colors of difference hue based on what is running so owners catch changes), I just looked at the voltage, about 10 minutes later, the generator started, (scares me to death when I am not expecting it), and low and behold, the batteries were down to 11.9VDC and the inverter had been running all the stuff. Left the genset on, went to find the ranger, turned off the 50A breaker since it was dead, and did not want more problems. Came home, and I checked the 30A shore power connection, it was showing power when I turned on the breaker, so I plugged into that, and now things are getting back to normal. We all learned that all the wiring in the park is Aluminum, and is old, so I am willing to wager, the wires in my 50A pedestal are fried all the way back to the distribution box, (about 50 feet away), and seriously hope I have to move. The 30A is no joy either, it has almost ruined my 30/50 adapter cord in the last site I was in before moving here, so with this little problem, knowing they cannot have it fixed for a couple of days, and the weather being cold, I will most likely just head more south to Medina Lake TT park, the power there is great, and the park is ok, since I need to kill some time cheap. Or I could just head toward Yuma, AZ slowly, staying in casino's and Valley Vista in Benson for a 10 days period under RPI, but am d**mn tired of winter and cold weather/rain/winter/rain, and lots of strong winds. Second time I have lost power on this trip because of weather.
Monty & Janet - 2007 Alpine APEX 40 MDTS
S/N - 75715 - Retired - Master Certified RV Tech