Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-29-2005, 05:20 PM   #15
hf

Solo Rvers Club
Wayne, I have correct floats but I remember you saying you were going to equalize your batteries and then chck with a hydrometer. Why equalize and exactly how do you do it. I have a place on the inverter panel that has a equalize battery "square" that can be pushed is that all there is to it?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2005, 06:05 AM   #16

Equalizing reduces sulfation in wet cell batteries. It is my understanding that running a battery low on water accelerates sulfation. Your invert manual will explain how to put it in equalize mode. If yours is the same as mine, from the RS2000 menu scroll down to equalize push enter, toggle to equalize ON (arrows keys), push enter answer yes and push enter you are in equalize mode.

05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 07:35 AM   #17

If you are not familiar with the procedure, I recommend you read up before equalizing your battery's. Battery information
You need to be aware of the precautions and remain with the coach during the process.

Danny

2000 Alpine Millennium Edition
Danny Gayhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 07:53 AM   #18

Thanks Danny, good put.
Old 05-31-2005, 08:42 AM   #19
hf

Solo Rvers Club
I dont think my pannel same as yours,and unfortuninatly the inverter manual is one of the manuals I never got ( this not unusual from what i have read on this website, what does WRV do with those manuals if they dont pass them on?) I did print out the website Danny pointed out I will study it but it doesnt sound like it is something for an amature like me to tackel right now. Think Ill check with a hydrometer if I can figure out what that is and go from there. At least I now have correct floats. I have a felling there lots of people out there with this problem and dont know it. Thanks for help so far I will keep you posted Harry
Old 05-31-2005, 05:15 PM   #20

The manuals should be available on the manufacturers web site.
Old 06-05-2005, 06:11 PM   #21

Thank you for the info Wingding. I checked my system today and I too have the 34 (wrong)floats with the 2400 batteries. My water wasen't too low, but the last time the rig was in service, they installed the Echo Charger to solve a chassis battery charging problem. They did a check of the batteries/charging system at that time and probably filled the batteries.

I am concerned about an oily residue I found on the floats, in the filler necks, and it looked like there was an oily sheen to the battery fluid. Did anyone else notice this during their battery inspections?

Thanks to all.
2005 40FDTS/#75220
2006 GMC Envoy toad
htg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 06:41 PM   #22

Could be battery oil. But if you're old enough to remember that stuff (& battery jars?), you are too old to be driving a motorhome
Old 06-06-2005, 07:56 AM   #23

Engineer Mike, your right, I'm not quite that old. I suspect either loose caps or loose tubing in the fill system is allowing deisel exhaust to enter the cells. Should I be concerned? Would it coat the plates and cause the batteries to fail?

Thanks
2005 40FDTS/#75220
2006 GMC Envoy toad
htg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 08:29 AM   #24

The caps "should" provide enough cover to preclude exhaust from getting sucked into the batteries. I say should because the battery cavities should have a tendency toward positive pressure from off-gassing. And the caps cover the holes to eliminate breathing in randomly.
I'd say the issue is whether the bad caps allowed batt's to be low for too long such that damage occured.
The sheen is probably from less than antiseptic conditions by the tech who filled the batteries & got a bit of oil (from hands or the container)in the fill water. Tech's are always in a hurry, can't spend too much time washing up, & don't even use distilled water all the time.
IMExperience w/strings of back-up batteries for telecom switches (whole rooms full of lead-acid boiling pots to watch), the bigger the string, the more critical maintenance is to economy. A dead cell will kill a battery, a dead battery will kill the string, one or a few poor condition batteries or connections will decrease the useful life of the string. IMO, caps make filling easy between checks, but regular (every 3 months at most) hydrometer & physical checks or the equivalent should be made in addition to assuring full cells.
Good luck.
Old 06-14-2005, 12:54 PM   #25

I just received all new battery floats from WRV yesterday totally unannounced and it indicated that what I have is more than likely incorrect. Now if I ever see my coach again I can fix the battery fill system.
Ted
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 07:25 PM   #26

I got a set too but my coach is in the shop as well. I will be picking it up on Thursday. I will have them install them while I am there.

David
Old 06-15-2005, 07:43 AM   #27

I received my second set also, previously WRV sent me a set w/shorter necks and I replaced, they work fine., The new set looks like long necks which are the same as origional, check yours out. Larry
Old 06-15-2005, 08:59 AM   #28

Here is an easy way to see if your floats are too long to properly indicate full:

Loosen the float (a simple 1/4 turn I think) and slowly lift it up. If the white indicator doesn't drop indicating not full after you lift it just a millimeters or two, then you have a too long float. This is how John convinced WRV that we still had the wrong floats (he also took measurements and discussed situation with the battery fill system manufacturer). He had to lift the float 5mm or more before it registered not full.

We had 34 mm in our 2006 and had to replace them with 29 mm floats. I think now WRV is manufacturing 2006s with the correct floats, but if you get an early edition 2006 you should still verify your floats with the technique above.

Audrey