Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-23-2005, 06:47 AM   #1

While going over the 2005 coach during the long awaited Walk -thru..{4/21} I was noticing that the Battery fill system was not working.

What we found out was that there was a change in Batteries from 2200 series to 2400 series. The distance between the top of these house battery plates and the top inside of the battery shell had changed. {less distance}
What we experienced was that the floats in the cells were for the 2200 series batteries. They were bottoming out on the battery plate and would not allow distilled water to enter the cell.The white indicators were to the top making for a false reading.{TO long so they extended flush to the top} Many dry cells and damaged batteries.
In conclusion, I had a 2200 float/shut off assembly on 2400 series bateries needing a 2400 float assembly.

What has happened is the 2400 battery plates are higher meaning you have less clearance and the need of a shorter length float. Putting in a 2200 series float assembly on a 2400 series battery's will eventually have devastating effects on the 2400 batteries becaue they simply will get no distilled water.
Now this was straight off a brand new 2005 Alpine.....
I wonder how many others have had this problem .........????

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2005, 06:47 AM   #2

While going over the 2005 coach during the long awaited Walk -thru..{4/21} I was noticing that the Battery fill system was not working.

What we found out was that there was a change in Batteries from 2200 series to 2400 series. The distance between the top of these house battery plates and the top inside of the battery shell had changed. {less distance}
What we experienced was that the floats in the cells were for the 2200 series batteries. They were bottoming out on the battery plate and would not allow distilled water to enter the cell.The white indicators were to the top making for a false reading.{TO long so they extended flush to the top} Many dry cells and damaged batteries.
In conclusion, I had a 2200 float/shut off assembly on 2400 series bateries needing a 2400 float assembly.

What has happened is the 2400 battery plates are higher meaning you have less clearance and the need of a shorter length float. Putting in a 2200 series float assembly on a 2400 series battery's will eventually have devastating effects on the 2400 batteries becaue they simply will get no distilled water.
Now this was straight off a brand new 2005 Alpine.....
I wonder how many others have had this problem .........????

Old 04-23-2005, 08:39 AM   #3

Thanks for the heads up Wingding - we'll check that during our walk-through too.

Why was your walk-through delayed so long? Never mind - I read your answer on the other thread. Wow - that was an awful list. I can only hope that we encounter much fewer problems.

Audrey
Old 04-24-2005, 07:41 AM   #4

Ouch! I just checked mine and the water level was below the plates in all cells. The white indicators were all indicating full. Hope my batteries are not damaged. I will initiate an equalizing charge and then check the batteries with a hydrometer.
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 12:32 PM   #5
hf

Solo Rvers Club
how do you tell diff 2200 and 2400 series batteries?
Old 04-24-2005, 03:41 PM   #6

2400 is on the Battery label can't miss it.
Old 04-28-2005, 05:58 AM   #7

On our 2006 we have yet a third battery type (Interstate Powervolt VA1255). They appeared to be 8mm low and it's not clear the battery fill system will properly indicate when they are low and won't fill them any more than they are filled now (8mm low), so we are trying to resolve this.

Audrey
Old 04-28-2005, 02:23 PM   #8
hf

Solo Rvers Club
I have the last or second to last 2004 built it has 2400 series batteries and water level was low but not dry and white indicaters have never been anywhere but to the top so I need to determine if I have floats for 2200 series how do I determine this how long were the stems on the 22oo type All I need is one more problem with this coach I still trying to get things corrected. I wpuld be glad to talk to you on phone my nickel wingding if you can offer any help in this battery situation.
Old 04-28-2005, 08:44 PM   #9

Hf,
Happy to be of assistance. I will try to explain it.

If you place the float plug in the cell and connect it, it should not bottom out on the top of the battery plates. If it does, it will also make the white indicator flush with the top.
You see, it has no play and no room to accept distilled water. My batteries came today and the float indicators should be here tommorrow. I will find the part numbers of both and then display which is which. Hopefully you will be able to read the part number off your set and you will know. I can also measure the length of the two different floats if the first does not work.The 2400 floats are going to be shorter then the 2200. Because there is less open area between the top of the battery plate and the underside of the plastic shell on the top of the battery.
Expect a answer very soon.
Hf, it sure sounds like you have the wrong set.
If all the white indicators are to the top and the cells are low......That is a classic example of the 2200 floats on a 2400 series battery, I'm sorry to say.
Old 04-29-2005, 02:16 PM   #10

Ok, the package can in today. I have pictures and I want to download here but cannot figure how to yet.
But I will explain. All that changes is the float itself.They actually snap out of the shaft.The difference is in mm's . The 2400 series battery takes a 29mm float. The 2200 takes a 34 mm float.They snap on and off....
That simple. You can read on the plastic float. It will have a 29 or 34 stamped in it.
I figured they come up with a easy solution.
I will try to download those pictures somewhere to show the difference side by side and the numbers on them.
Old 04-30-2005, 10:04 AM   #11
hf

Solo Rvers Club
I now have a delima I pulled off a float and have the wrong ones I came in to double check wingding instructions on getting float off to exchange then read post by wayne saying must take it to dealer that 650 miles for me. Why wont they just exchange floats? should I take all floats off temp so battery waterlevel is correct do you all feel improper float keps water from being at a safe level
Old 04-30-2005, 11:24 AM   #12

HF, fill your batteries manually and put the caps back on. As long as the water is above the plates you are probably OK. Mine took 2 gallons of water for 6 batteries; I suspect I have some bad batteries. I can't find my Hydrometer so I will have to pick one up the next time I go into town.
Old 04-30-2005, 03:52 PM   #13

2 Gallons???? Ouch. So much for "automatic." I guess this is a real trick system IF you get the right plugs. Seems like they should sell the system with a selection of swappable plugs. That way if you should change batteries in the future (no way that'll ever happen at the factory, or later in the life of the coach, right?) you could simply fish out the plug selection & voila!
Old 05-02-2005, 01:18 PM   #14

John talked to BFS today (the battery filling system manufacturer), and it looks like we also have the wrong floats in our unit (and BFS knows about Western RV and having the wrong floats). We have the 34mm float, we should have the 29mm floats for our VA1255 batteries, so I guess we'll be talking with our dealer to get this resolved.

Audrey