Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-04-2008, 07:53 AM   #1

My cable end (sensor portion) which terminates at the battery terminal, was damaged by corrosion. Need to replace. Any ideas where this sensor may be found/purchased?
I plan on splicing the new sensor onto the existing cable that terminates at the Onan display panel in the coach.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2008, 07:53 AM   #2

My cable end (sensor portion) which terminates at the battery terminal, was damaged by corrosion. Need to replace. Any ideas where this sensor may be found/purchased?
I plan on splicing the new sensor onto the existing cable that terminates at the Onan display panel in the coach.

Old 12-04-2008, 05:30 PM   #3

HEY JIM,
I don't know if yours is a xantrex on not here is a link to ther site.
http://www.xantrex.com/web/id/8/learn.asp
I got the part number there and then found it cheapest on amazon.com also e-bay has parts if you get the part number.I just replaced the same sensor. later Ray
Old 12-05-2008, 06:41 AM   #4

Ray - Thanks for the info. I'll go to that site and see if I have better luck than I've had with my batteries. Get back to you with the results.

-Jim
Old 12-05-2008, 07:09 AM   #5

You didnt mention what year yr coach is but if your "display panel is an Onan", it sounds like yr inverter/bat sensor are also Onan --not Xantrex. Anyway, dont think Onan is making the inverter model used by WRV, circa 2005. They may have spare parts or are using compatible parts in their new product offerings.

Opinion--battery covers serve no useful purpose, except to contribute to battery damage. Weekly inspection of batteries and a thorough spray down everytime you wash your coach is the best defense agaisnt "corrosion damage"--there are maintenance products that help but they have to be used. Battery covers impede routine inspection and preventative actions.
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 04:58 PM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Old Scout:
You didnt mention what year yr coach is but if your "display panel is an Onan", it sounds like yr inverter/bat sensor are also Onan --not Xantrex. Anyway, dont think Onan is making the inverter model used by WRV, circa 2005. They may have spare parts or are using compatible parts in their new product offerings.

Opinion--battery covers serve no useful purpose, except to contribute to battery damage. Weekly inspection of batteries and a thorough spray down everytime you wash your coach is the best defense agaisnt "corrosion damage"--there are maintenance products that help but they have to be used. Battery covers impede routine inspection and preventative actions. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

PS--It may vary from model to model of inverter but the bat temp sensor is usually connected to the inverter, not the control panel. Its a bit of a pain getting the new wire thru the engine firewall to the compartment where the inverter is but its probably worth it to avoid a spice.
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 08:22 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Jim and Steph (I'll not guess which):

I would not splice the cable. You can cut the ends off the old one and use it to pull the new one through. A splice will critically affect the readings since it uses such low voltage.

I think you'll find the control panel is Xantrex and runs your Onan generator. All the parts are easily had on the Internet. I bought my Xantrex things from Solatron Technologies in (Victorville, CA). They were even cheaper than Amazon (my favorite seller) and waited only 36 hours for delivery.
Old 12-07-2008, 11:40 AM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Jim,

Are you sure that the battery temp sensor plugs into the display panel. The one on the Xantrex plugs into the inverter, as Old Scout mentioned. I would prefer seeing you run the cable with out splice, but feel that it can be spliced if necessary. Most temperature sensors are just a thermistor. All of these that are used in solar applications, are just supplied with pigtails that you connect to the wiring that you supply, to the controller. If you do splice, I would try to keep the wire length the same, solder the connections and seal it well when your done.

Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote