Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-18-2015, 08:56 AM   #15

Alpine Owners Club
They only sell the watering system for a one set of two 6v batteries. You purchase the number of systems you need. I purchased 3 watering systems for my 6, 6v batteries. They can all be tied together into 1 system. Only one squeeze bulb is need for filling the batteries which is sold separately.

Dave Fernandez is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2015, 06:45 PM   #16

I've been using the "Pro Fill" system for the last seven years and it has performed flawlessly. You can manifold up to maximum of four batteries per set of connectors. At least that is what the manufacturer recommends. Obviously it is no big deal to install or service the two sets of batteries for those of us that have eight 6v house batteries.

The original WRV watering system was more than useless, it just created a mess of corrosion and acid all over the place. I have had no boil-over problems and the OEM's lasted seven years, of which five were on the "Pro Fill" system.

I don't really mean to get into a big discussion on the subject of AGM's vs regular wet cell batteries; but here are some points to consider. My Interstate battery man said, "If you don't mind watering your batteries, and keeping them clean, go with wet cell batteries." He didn't think the price differential was worth the expense when the useful life of the two types was nearly identical. I got seven years out of the original set, and when replaced there was only one of the 6v's that was even slightly questionable when load tested. The Interstate fellow went on to say he too liked the "Pro Fill" system and told me, "Whatever you have been doing with your batteries, just follow the same maintenance program."

Here is a picture that shows the two manifold systems attached to the two sets of four 6v batteries. The white/black fittings on the ends of the two hoses are the quick disconnects that attach to the squeeze bulb hose.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery Replacement 2013 (11b).JPG
Views:	67
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	91976  

Old 04-19-2015, 07:05 PM   #17

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I also have the Profill system on my 6V house batteries,very easy to maintain water level and the batteries tops stay clean with no corrosion ever. I just added one to my 12V chassis battery. I have started to use Interstate batteries GC-2 since I can get them from Costco for $83.99 each. I'm going to buy six to replace the two I currently have. I'll have a total of 618 AH's when finished relocating them.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 07:40 PM   #18

A neighbor at the last rally introduced me to the fill systems. I had seen them previously and thought that was a lot of money for the amount of plastic in the bag. It was. But now filling the batteries consists of:

1) open battery compartment
2) take squeeze bulb out of Zip-Loc
3) quick-connect bulb to system
4) insert tube into distilled water jug
5) squeeze bulb until full (can't squeeze anymore)
6) disconnect and put away

As we can see, this is a labor intensive exercise taking up the better part of five minutes. Has anybody installed this system with the reservoir tank that does the filling automatically?
Old 05-02-2015, 03:25 PM   #19

After my glowing review of Flow-Riteís Pro-Fill batterywatering system I recently learned that this is not a lifetime system. As Imentioned, I have had this terrific installation for the past seven years andit had been working perfectly. At least it was until last week when a coupleof the float valve assemblies began to leak out the top while I was in theprocess of filling the batteries. Iremoved the manifold and disassembled the floats; they looked fine, but I cleanedthem up a bit just in case, and reinstalled the unit. I tried the filling process again, and thefloats once again did not shut off the flow as they had always done. Filling is a simple process of using asqueeze ball attached to vinyl tubing inserted into a jug of distilled waterand an output line with the quick disconnect fitting attached to the batterybank manifold receptacle. All that isnecessary is to squeeze the ball a few times and when you canít squeeze it anymore all of the associated valves have shut off the flow.

I checked with a technician at Flow-Rite and found that eventhough they warrant the system for a full five years, which in itself is quitegood, the system will eventually wearout as the heat and acid take their toll of the float seals. The person went on to say that seven to eightyears service is actually quite good. Myquestion initially was whether to just get new manifolds as they failed; butafter our discussion it was obvious that a whole new system would be a muchbetter decision.

You canít buy these systems from the factory, but have to gothrough one of their distributors. Thereare many of these, and I believe Camping World is one possibility. I went back to my original vendor,Powerstride Battery, Inc. at Corona, CA and once again they were great folks towork with. We are presently in theEastern Sierra on the beginning of an extended trip so I wanted to get thereplacement system as soon as possible. I called in my order last Monday and it arrived out here in the booniesvia UPS on Thursday which I thought was excellent service. The new system is now installed and all iswell, it works perfectly.
Old 05-02-2015, 07:05 PM   #20

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Many have done it
AGM do come in Six volt, also 12

AGM cost much more than six volt flooded wet cells

I have never priced watt hours per dollar with AGM six or 12 volt so can not tell you if there is an advantage there.. You can fairly easily find AGM Deep cycle batteries in both voltages.

The big advantage to Six volt GC-2 over say 12 volt batteries is cost per watt hour (Amp hour times 12 when installed in an RV)

The GC-2, baring one heck of a sale, is the most bang for our buck.
Old 05-02-2015, 11:40 PM   #21

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Birddog,
Thank you for that heads up on the Flowrite. Something to watch for. I have their system on my house batteries that's about four years old and recently got one for my chassis battery.

1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
replacement, battery, replace, ace