Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2006, 05:53 AM   #1

Other than finding that you have a damaged battery due to no water, what is the best way to check that each battery is getting sufficient water from the auto fill system? How can you tell if you have the proper fill caps? I have read that many have had the problem for a couple of years and I am wondering if my '06 has the problem solved.
lundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2006, 05:53 AM   #2

Other than finding that you have a damaged battery due to no water, what is the best way to check that each battery is getting sufficient water from the auto fill system? How can you tell if you have the proper fill caps? I have read that many have had the problem for a couple of years and I am wondering if my '06 has the problem solved.
lundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 06:12 AM   #3

Lundy,

This is a quote from Engineermike.

"You need to check the floats. Flip open the cap @ top & use a skinny probe like a coat hanger to push on the white button; that is the float indicator & should be fully up but depressable like against buoyancy pressure when cell is full.

There should be 1/8-1/4" from full up position to bottoming out. If it is up, but cell not full, you have ESP (error some place) w/the float."

On mine after I got the proper floats installed some of the floats would bob up and down slightly when I added water.
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 01:52 PM   #4

Not to be a wise-guy, but the BEST way to check your batteries is to replace them with AGM's. No water, no muss, no fuss...install 'em and forget 'em!
Old 01-08-2006, 05:50 PM   #5
hf

Solo Rvers Club
Lundy, keep close eye on those batteries there is discusion this forum AUG 1 and APR 23 on this I have 04 with correct floats(now) and fill system still does not work properly and I have talked to other 04 nowners and NONE of them trust that fill system for some reason it does not work. not sure what year you have but 04 and05 seem to have bigtrouble with the system
Old 01-09-2006, 05:26 AM   #6

HF,
What problems are you having? Mine seems to work good now that the correct floats have been installed.
Old 02-01-2006, 05:19 PM   #7
hf

Solo Rvers Club
wAYNE , sorry took so long to answer was at DRR in QUARTSITE. the little white "button" does not depress it seems to be stuck in up position giving false reading of water level, Harry
Old 02-02-2006, 06:42 AM   #8

Sorry I missed you at Q. If the white button is stuck up, that would make me suspect you still have floats that are too long.
Old 02-02-2006, 09:17 AM   #9

hf- That's the classic condition for wrong float. The offset of the "wrong" float from bottom of float to top of plates may be incorrect, i.e. the two are touching. The correct float leaves a gap w/the spring effect evident as discussed above when the cell is full.
IIWY, I'd pull a float & measure its insertable length (this has sulfuric acid on it, so all caveats of acid handling apply). Then cut a piece of plastic to insert into the cell to mark & measure from top of battery to top of plate (call it headspace). If the insertable float length is = or more than the headspace, then the float will bottom out on plates & keep the cap from working and you need the correct floats. Your headspace measurement will help in identifying the proper float when you call WRV or your supplier if you bought the system aftermarket.
Old 02-02-2006, 09:47 AM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
I HAD THE WRONG FLOATS IN MY '03 - RECENTLY REPLACED BY WRV. THE NEW FLOATS HAVE CLEAR PLASTIC CAPS OVER THE WHITE FLOAT LEVEL INDICATOR, SO YO CAN'T PUSH ON THEM TO SEE IF THE FLOAT MOVES. I THINK EM'S SUGGESTION WORKS WAY BETTER THAN OTHER GUESS WORK METHODS.

Vagabondman
VAGABONDMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 12:36 PM   #11

Frank- You may have the same caps as mine; the top flips up like a ketchup squeeze bottle top to allow pushing on the white float indicator.
Old 02-08-2006, 06:24 AM   #12

I had my floats replaced with the shorter ones which WRV sent for my 2005 Alpine. I am still not convinced that the water refill system is working correctly. Some of the cells don't look completely full - the white indicator is not completely UP. When I push the button to start the water pump, the white indicators seem to bob up and down, but it is not clear that water is getting into the cells since the water level in the reservoir doesn't move much.
Snuggery is offline   Reply With Quote