Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-17-2017, 06:01 PM   #1

Bay doors

Anyone ever purchased longer arms for there bay doors that will allow the doors to extend farther . See photoClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0182.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	364.8 KB
ID:	186009
reese1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2017, 06:44 PM   #2

I had a local shop change mine so I don't have to crawl on the ground to reach stuff in the bay.Not sure what length they used but if you do change them be sure to get the stuff you need from the bays before you extend the slide, otherwise you have the same problem with them not opening enough and they will hit the slide.
Ramblinpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 06:46 AM   #3

I thought of doing that myself. If you disconnect your existing gas springs you will find that the hinge on that door does not allow much more rotation than the current gas springs allow. On my coach anyway. If the hinge allowed more movement and you did get longer gas springs they would require a different mounting location since the they would be longer in the closed position.
Old 12-18-2017, 06:54 AM   #4

...you need to be careful....regardless of whatever you use to extend the door opening, just make sure you "remember" they are open when you open the room slide.. I know, it a pain to get into basement doors, but in my opinion, modifying the door opening is just another way to forget and mess up your paint job.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 08:52 AM   #5

I changed all of my struts. I got the longest ones I could make work. They are limited by the upward travel of the door hinges. It helped a lot and to me is well worth having to remember to check the bin doors before retracting or extending slides.

I didn't move the mounting brackets.

The living room slide still limits the doors below to 90* when its extended but with the side in it's a lot easier to access the bins.

I did this on my previous MH and made a huge difference in access, those doors were hinged differently.

We make a habit of having one of us outside before operating the slides anyhow. Several years ago on a trip friend 1 borrowed a tool from friend 2 while we were all packing up to leave. Friend 1 left the bin door open and friend 2 retracted his slide resulting in a crushed door. Luckily they're very good friends.
Terry W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 05:03 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
My under the BR slide basement door is propane access and as delivered would only open horizontal. It only takes a slight repositioning of the anchor point to raise the door significantly. I moved it enough to use the top predrilled holes for the bottom screws and drilled new holes for the upper screws. Maybe an inch or 1.5. That raised it to the same level as all of the other basement doors.
Volunteers USFWS. 9,300 hrs each, 29 refuges. 04 Allegro 30DA, WH 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty , Brake Buddy Adv Select, 300watts Solar, "Philippians 4:11-13 KJV"
Rocky Larson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door