Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2006, 10:04 AM   #1

I'd like to set up a low-pressure gas valve connection for a hose to go to a BBQ. Should such a quick-connect be set-up at the propane tank and run a long hose to curbside when in use, or should there be a connection on the curbside? I expect to grill 90% of the time! Love to cook outdoors.

Thanks, Rick Coleman
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2006, 10:04 AM   #2

I'd like to set up a low-pressure gas valve connection for a hose to go to a BBQ. Should such a quick-connect be set-up at the propane tank and run a long hose to curbside when in use, or should there be a connection on the curbside? I expect to grill 90% of the time! Love to cook outdoors.

Thanks, Rick Coleman
Old 07-14-2006, 03:07 PM   #3

Location: Fulltiming. Living wherever the jacks hit the ground.
You don't do it low pressure. You do it on the high pressure side, and let the regulator on the BBQ do its job.

Go to Camping World, or similar place, and buy the Stay A While adapter.

http://www.mrheater.com/seriesdetail.asp?id=159&cid=0
Stock No. F273734
It's most of the way down the page.

You install this between the valve on the MH, and the regulator. Works as advertised. I set the propane grill on a table about 6 feet out from the MH, and cook away.
Old 07-16-2006, 03:40 AM   #4

We decided against a gas line to the MH because we don't like being tethered to the MH. Sometimes the picnic table is pretty far away from the MH. Decided to carry a small (5 lb) propane tank instead.

Audrey
Old 07-16-2006, 04:09 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I've set up my grill to run off the coach. As mentioned, you do need to run high pressure to the grill. The regulator on the grill controls the gas pressure. This means that you can't tap into the coach's regulated LP system. You need to go back to the tank and tap in pre-regulator. Camping World (or any RV dealer) will have the ExtendaTap system. This is basically a tee fitting that inserts directly between the LP tank's POL valve and regulator. The output tee has the threaded connection that is used on the disposable LP bottles. They then give you either a 6' or 12' hose to connect to the grill.

The problem is that this hose isn't long enough. So I bought a 6' hose and took it to an LP gas distributer who works on LP systems and had a real long hose made (my LP tank is on the driver's side and I grill on the patio side). I didn't want to have to store the hose and have to roll it up all the time after laying in the dirt so I ran it through the basement storage compartments. I now have around 10' of hose rolled up inside my basement compartment on the patio side that I can pull out and connect to the grill.

Because the hose is filled with high pressure gas and is rubber, you don't want that inside your basement compartment. If a leak were to occur the entire tank would fill up the basement and you'd be in deep trouble. Therefore, I disconnect the hose at the tank end when done grilling. Any gas left in the hose will escape out the inlet fitting. Just be sure to cover it when done to prevent dirt from entering the open end.

I also have a 5 lb. tank for times when it's more convenient.

If you wanted to have a quick connect system set up you could either run the long hose over to the LP tank or you could run it to a patio side connection. If you ran it to the patio side I'd have someone plumb a steel pipe from the tank over to that side then test it for leaks. I wouldn't trust a hose in a permanent situation.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 03:10 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
On my 36' 05-06, there is a tee in the 1/2" propane line where it stops to go up to the refer from the basement. I simply removed the plug, installed a gas shut-off valve and a quick disconnect giving me a double seal for protection. I simply connect a hose to this disconnect and run it out the basement door to my barbeque (it's only about a foot inside the door). Since the propane is already regulated at the coach tank I removed the regulator on the barbeque. Works great.

Jerry Davis
36'FDDS
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 08:54 AM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Hello Rick:

I did was the same thing as Jerry and I put the quick disconnect on the passenger side of the coach. I purchased a BBQ which used a hose to get to the propane tank and used a regulator at the tank and the flame adjustment at the BBQ. That way I would not double regulate the propane and I could use the propane from the coach. I could still use a propane bottle if I took the BBQ to another location.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 10:12 AM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Audrey & John:
Decided to carry a small (5 lb) propane tank instead.
Audrey </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I like the idea of a small propane tank, but have not found a place to store the tank in the coach. Wonder if a open weave metal floor could be bolted in the coach LPG compartment to hold the small tank?

Cummins 330
Have Alpine will travel. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 12:02 PM   #9

Location: Summer Rowlett TX (Why?)/Winter Palm Springs CA Two Springs RV Resort https://www.twospringsrv.com/
I installed a BBQ gas line on the passenger side of our Apex using a similar concept as Jerry Davis. Since we have a residential fridge, the gas line was unused & plugged in the basement. I installed a gas shutoff valve and a 25 foot hose with a quick disconnect on the other end. When not in use, the hose is stored in the holding tank compartment. I did not remove the regulator from the Weber BBQ and it works fine even though it double regulated.

I had a propane place make the hose for me and all the parts cost about $100.

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/basil_sh...60762336541573
Basil Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 01:20 PM   #10

There seemed to be lots of suggestions that really is for something quite simple. Most good barbecue stores either have a hose that is long enough for your application or they generally can make them. I have no faith in propane people as they are clueless in hose and coupling requirements. If you have to, go to a company that deals with air compressors and explain your situation and they will handle it with ease. Make certain you have a shutoff valve at the piping at your connection on the passenger side where you will attach your hose for the barbecue and another shut-off at the source of your propane for comfortable safety measures. Install a pressure regulator on the barbecue and you will never have a problem.
Happy cooking, like you we love to barbecue.
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 11:57 AM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
I had my coach "hard piped" from the high pressure side to the passenger side of the coach.They added an on/off valve near the source and a quick connect at the other end. I use about a 10 ft hose between the BBQ and quick connect. After I am done cooking, I shut the valve off and let the propane in the line burn off via the BBQ. Just didn't trust residual gas in a rubber hose.

Bernie
02' 36 ft Alpine
BernieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 01:10 PM   #12

Bernie, does it ever concern you with the hard piping and the tremendous flexing of your motor home?
Old 11-15-2006, 03:06 PM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Ted, when I purchased the coach, the BBQ line was part of the deal. The dealer had run rubber hoses, no shut off valve, all over the place. The line was always full of propane the entire time! This got my attention! I have my coach serviced at Bob Jones in Houston, Tx and they installed the current system. The hard piping starts at the tank, then into a shut off valve and before moving to the next compartment, there is a flex hose. The hard piping in the wall has putty & gasket to allow some torsional movement. After that, it hooks a left to the frame rail and they used plastic connectors to attach the hose to house piping running lengthwise down the coach. There is one left turn to at the end of the second bay, and then the fixed point for the quick connect.
That said, as I understand the frame is designed to take the twisting loads, not the coach. Hope this helps.

Let me know if you want some photo's
BernieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 04:47 PM   #14

Bernie, it certainly sounds like you found someone that really knows what they are doing. Your explanation in my opinion is excellent and the procedure sounds great.