Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-03-2009, 09:45 AM   #15

So Tom, you being in the tire business...do recommend that size as the replacement tire? Looking forward to seeing you later this month at the Alpine SoCal rally.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2009, 10:32 AM   #16

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
going to the GY's added 3 mph @ 65 on the dial......Not worth the trouble of recalibrating.

mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 08:34 PM   #17

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
According to Tom's math, the difference is about 1%. Close enough for orphans.
toad 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 12:40 AM   #18

Alpine Owners Club
Rick,

The difference in height is negligible. What you will gain is a tire that has a larger envelope to hold air...you can lower PSI and carry the same load.

According to Bridgestone PSI/load charts a 11R22.5 H rated tire will carry 6320 pounds @110 psi. A 295/80R22.5 H rated will scale 6510 pounds at 100 psi. Plus the 295 is almost one inch wider.

This should give you a better ride, plus with a wider footprint. That Alpine will go from handling like a BMW to a Ferrari. Just watch that you don't break anything in the cabinets, or you will hear it from Sue

As always, PLEASE double check my numbers. JMHO
Old 09-04-2009, 04:39 AM   #19

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by takepride View Post
Here's an exposť on the aging tire issue and comments from experts:

http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=4826897

I'm a believer, as some may recall my posting of a tire split on a tire with arguably another 25,000 miles left on them.

Sorry to beat a dead horse, but if it saves even one injury..............
That is really scary stuff. Probably a lot worse with an RV than a car. I have a question, though. Clearly the blowout of a front tire on an RV would be a potentially deadly experience trying to steer.

But what about the duallies? Just speculating, but it would seem that a blowout of one of the duallies would not create the same effect because the other dually would bear the weight and the effect on steering/handling would not be nearly as great as a front blowout.

Does anyone have experience to share regarding the effect on emergency handling when a dually, not a front tire, blows out?

If, as I am guessing, losing a dually is not life threatening, then it would perhaps make a lot of sense (from an economic and safety standpoint) to replace the front tires more often than the duallies. I could see something like replacing the front every 3-4 years and rotate them back to the duallies for another 2-3 years so you get the 5-6 years life out of the tires but always have newer tires on the front, where it would be the most important.
Old 09-04-2009, 05:27 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Never blown a dually on a mh , but I drive an 18 wheeler and have blown duals several times .. Different scenario , but same results ...

I would be more concerned with the mh tho ..

Jus say for an example you have a rear axle rated at 11000# ( 5500# per side ), you have your tire pressure set where each tire will carry 3000# per the weight charts for that tire .. You blow one tire , you now have one tire rated at 3000# carrying 5500# .. Not good from that standpoint , I'd be getting off the road pretty quickly ..

While it , in most cases probably isnt as threatening , it can do a lot of damage to the mh when it lets go .. As well , it is not uncommon for the second tire to go not long after the first ..

It can also be very difficult to handle even on the rear .. Also if I had to travel very far on that single , I would replace it as well ..

If you have a good name brand tire , that is maintained properly and not overloaded , not curbed ( dont scrub curbs with the sidewalls ) and get lucky enuff to not pick up road debris that could lead to tire failure , you're in pretty good shape ..
Old 09-04-2009, 06:46 AM   #21

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackHammr' View Post
Never blown a dually on a mh , but I drive an 18 wheeler and have blown duals several times .. Different scenario , but same results ...

I would be more concerned with the mh tho ..

Jus say for an example you have a rear axle rated at 11000# ( 5500# per side ), you have your tire pressure set where each tire will carry 3000# per the weight charts for that tire .. You blow one tire , you now have one tire rated at 3000# carrying 5500# .. Not good from that standpoint , I'd be getting off the road pretty quickly ..

While it , in most cases probably isnt as threatening , it can do a lot of damage to the mh when it lets go .. As well , it is not uncommon for the second tire to go not long after the first ..

It can also be very difficult to handle even on the rear .. Also if I had to travel very far on that single , I would replace it as well ..

If you have a good name brand tire , that is maintained properly and not overloaded , not curbed ( dont scrub curbs with the sidewalls ) and get lucky enuff to not pick up road debris that could lead to tire failure , you're in pretty good shape ..
Thanks for the insight. Of course, I was not suggesting that you would keep driving with a blown dually or even that you should run tires longer the recommended age -- only that you shorten the time they spent on the front of the vehicle. Also, for the time it took to pull over and stop, you should be able to handle the RV (better than a blown front tire). In the minute or so it might take to safely pull over, I wouldn't expect the remaining dually to overheat/overstress to cause it to blow as well. Of course, the act of one dually blowing out has an explosive force that could easily damage the remaining dually, I suppose.
Old 09-04-2009, 07:51 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Yeah your last sentence is very true , the explosion could easily damage the other tire ...

here is a video by michelin of controlled blowouts and how to handle them ..

YouTube - How to Handle a Tire Blowout in Your RV
Old 09-04-2009, 09:54 AM   #23

WRV was using the Toyo 295 R75 until about 2003, then began using the somewhat larger Toyo 120s, and eventually the GY G670s. My experience going from the old Toyo 295 R75s to the G670s was about 3 MPHs and 100 RPMs. If you went from the Toyo 120s to the G670s, the MPH/RPM difference was probably minimal. Notwithstanding envelopes and profiles, the G670's "ain't" going around quite as many times per mile as the old R75s.
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 10:27 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave and Jaime View Post
That is really scary stuff. Probably a lot worse with an RV than a car. I have a question, though. Clearly the blowout of a front tire on an RV would be a potentially deadly experience trying to steer.

But what about the duallies? Just speculating, but it would seem that a blowout of one of the duallies would not create the same effect because the other dually would bear the weight and the effect on steering/handling would not be nearly as great as a front blowout.

Does anyone have experience to share regarding the effect on emergency handling when a dually, not a front tire, blows out?

If, as I am guessing, losing a dually is not life threatening, then it would perhaps make a lot of sense (from an economic and safety standpoint) to replace the front tires more often than the duallies. I could see something like replacing the front every 3-4 years and rotate them back to the duallies for another 2-3 years so you get the 5-6 years life out of the tires but always have newer tires on the front, where it would be the most important.
I didn't have a blowout, but 3 weeks ago heading south on the 15 out of Cedar City Utah I had an inside rear passenger side tire go from 110# to 0# in a heartbeat. Apparently I picked up a bolt which exited the tire and left a hole big enough to deflate it in a hurry.
My Doran Pressure Pro alarm went off (and I always thought I might have wasted money on yet another toy) so I pulled over immediately. There was no other indication of the flat, so I guess I might have driven quite a long time without knowing. This experience tells me that if you don't have a "blowout" which shreds one of the duallys you could probably drive a long time with only one tire, but one should really slow down. I recommend everyone invest in some sort of tire-pressure sensor. It could save your life and/or your RV!

By the way, the highly touted Coach-Net roadside assistance (which I signed up for before leaving on this long trip) ended up taking 7 1/2 hours to get help to me that could handle a flat on a motorhome and another 1 1/2 hours to fix it, with my help and a lot of my tools!!! Hard to beleive that an outfit that specializes in motorhomes was so inept.

My wife and I, after 3 years of motorhoming, finally feel like we are "certified", as the hour was too late to continue our journey and we had the pleasure of spending the night in the truck stop at exit 62 of the 15.
"Ain't nothin' quite like the sound and smell of diesels all night and in the morning". In retrospect it was amusing, but I wouln't want to make a habit of it.
Old 09-04-2009, 10:57 AM   #25

Alpine Owners Club
Old Scout,

Comparing the 295/75R22.5 (as on yours and my Alpine) to the 295/80R22.5 you are correct. the 80 series is over an inch taller. 3.5% difference in revolutions. Keep in mind that height and width vary from manufacturer to manufacturer but fall within RMA industry standards.

I was responding specifically to Rick who has an '05 with 11R22.5s

BTW, we dumped our tires at 6 years from the date of birth.
Old 09-04-2009, 04:39 PM   #26

Alpine Owners Club
Jerry, Ae your g670s any quieter than the Toyos?
zinom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 06:09 PM   #27

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Coleman View Post
I didn't have a blowout, but 3 weeks ago heading south on the 15 out of Cedar City Utah I had an inside rear passenger side tire go from 110# to 0# in a heartbeat. Apparently I picked up a bolt which exited the tire and left a hole big enough to deflate it in a hurry.
My Doran Pressure Pro alarm went off (and I always thought I might have wasted money on yet another toy) so I pulled over immediately. There was no other indication of the flat, so I guess I might have driven quite a long time without knowing. This experience tells me that if you don't have a "blowout" which shreds one of the duallys you could probably drive a long time with only one tire, but one should really slow down. I recommend everyone invest in some sort of tire-pressure sensor. It could save your life and/or your RV!

By the way, the highly touted Coach-Net roadside assistance (which I signed up for before leaving on this long trip) ended up taking 7 1/2 hours to get help to me that could handle a flat on a motorhome and another 1 1/2 hours to fix it, with my help and a lot of my tools!!! Hard to beleive that an outfit that specializes in motorhomes was so inept.

My wife and I, after 3 years of motorhoming, finally feel like we are "certified", as the hour was too late to continue our journey and we had the pleasure of spending the night in the truck stop at exit 62 of the 15.
"Ain't nothin' quite like the sound and smell of diesels all night and in the morning". In retrospect it was amusing, but I wouln't want to make a habit of it.
I love my Doran tire monitor, too. Your experience gives me piece of mind that I won't be blindly driving along with a flat inside dually and fully justifies the cost of the system. By the way, aside from the alarm, did you notice any difficulty in steering/handling with only one dually supporting that side?
Old 09-04-2009, 06:39 PM   #28

None at all, but I pulled off the road at the next exit, which was a few miles up the road.

Tags
tire aging, tire replacement