Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-18-2012, 06:31 AM   #1

Bed lift assist

To get to the top of the cummins engine we have to lift up the bed and then hook the holding rods into the brackets on the bed. Has any one installed gas filled things like on the storage doors. If so would appreciate any help----pics, parts and etc. Seems like the older we get, more difficult to lift up the bed.

36 MDS 01 Alpine-----------Thanks Doug

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2012, 07:06 AM   #2

American Coach Owners Club
Seems like mine weighs 100 lbs everytime I lift it.- me> not young either. I'd also like to see if anyone installed the Gas/Spring shocks on the bed.

NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:09 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
I do not know what you are talking about I am the same as I was when we purchased the Alpine. It is the Alpine that has gotten old and stiff what is making it harder to open.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 07:02 PM   #4

I weighed mine by putting a scale under the lid when closed, it weighs 62#, so that's the dead lift each time to get the plywood plate w/bed on it raised. I used that to calculate the amount of assist needed. Then.........

HatchLift is an iRV2 sponsor
. I ordered their BedLift (standard) product, which is an assist, but an Alpine really needs the heavy duty spring set (called "Large" on their website, 120# springs vs 80# for the standard; they said they'd exchange for the h.d. springs if I needed which I will do). The instructions are bunk for an Alpine, if you use their geometry you won't succeed. Our bed opens up near full length (if you look at their picture they are opening maybe half the bed length). I had to iterate a solution to get the thing to close while still offering a good lift amount (the actual lift assist changes as the bed goes up, with higher assist at higher bed angle, lowest lift assist at full down position). The other install problem is the bed frame is not plywood, its a sandwich of luan and foam on/in an aluminum frame, so you have to rig a mounting plate for the bed frame side of the gas strut to get enough structure to avid tearing out screws (don't ask how I know). Fabricating the plates was actually the most work, although the biggest strain was working in the low angle crack of the bed/bed-frame to install the plates. For plates I sandwiched a double thickness of 1/4" birch hobby plywood, though any stout 5/8 or so plywood should do. I used two kinds of screws, an upper edge row of 5 self-tapping screws into the aluminum frame. Then a perimeter set of screws on fore, aft & lower edges of the plate that grab the luan w/enough instances I figured it would spread out the load (I used the highly acclaimed & perfectly accurate TLAR* method for assigning screw spacing). I have the foil wrapped insulation blankets on all interior sides of the bed frame, so I simply sandwiched that in between the plate & luan frame covering, then squished it down as the screws bore in; I used a head-bolt sort of tightening pattern to as not to overtighten one screw & pull it out of the luan.

I think this is a great solution for what is otherwise a big pain in the back. Seems I go months w/out looking at the engine, then I need to get in there several times in a row, and reach for the Alleve. I'll take some pics & post here later. HatchLift kit was reasonable, $48, with remarkably fast delivery. Good vendor.

* TLAR - famous engineering solution method known the world around; stands for: That Looks About Right
Old 07-22-2012, 03:21 PM   #5

The installed strut looks like this:

And the lower plate I fabricated looks like this:

Note the difference between upper 5 self tapping screws into the aluminum frame member, and the lower 12 wood screws into the luan. The BedLift kit comes from HatchLift | RV Hatch Lifts | Lift Hatch | Hatch Springs | Hatch Lift Supports | Hatch Hinges with the hex head screws mounting the pivot point metal plate to the plywood I used (same for the upper pivot metal plate in 1st pic above). I checked screw length carefully to make sure all screws were making good contact into the substrate for frame and bed plywood; I suggest you take some care in selecting those fasteners, as the "BedLift Kit Large" you will order from HatchLift.com has 120# gas struts and the load transfer to the bed parts is BIG. Make sure the screws make good contact.

Then after completing this upgrade, still use the metal rods WRV installed to hold the bid up, or use a stout wood stick cut to length for the purpose. The bed is heavy, and if the struts or their anchorage fails while you are working under the bed, you will get hurt. Safety first.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:15 PM   #6

Lifts

Mike,
Great pictures and I for one thank you. Couple of questions if you don't mind.
Does it lift right up like with one hand ? Doe it feel sturdy while in the up position.
Mine has an Engine door under the bed that is much lighter than the bed, I was thinking of using the 120's for the bed and 80's for the engine cover. See pictures below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MH- Bed 1.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	23901   Click image for larger version

Name:	MH Bed 4.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	172.1 KB
ID:	23903  

Old 07-23-2012, 07:40 PM   #7

NHRA- I put a scale under the closing end of the bed- 62#, and it opens for near full length of the bed. That geometry will produce a lift exceeding the 62#, about 88# lift using the 120# springs (that's 44# net uplift per strut at a healthy angle, while placing 120# on the pivot anchors). Your geometry will vary. You will have to figure the angles & offsets to fit your situation. Looks like you have lots of good plywood to work with.

For mine, the lift to start is less than the weight (i'd say i'm lifting well less than half the unassisted weight but haven't used the scale again; lift at full height due to more upright angle & therefore more upright lift exceeds bed weight. I don't consider that important. I'd still use a solid prop at full height for safety. These things can burst, leak down, anchor points come loose, etc.
Old 07-24-2012, 06:39 AM   #8

Thanks Mike,
I'm ordering the kits today. 120's for the top and 80's for the Eng comp.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:11 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Engineer Mike:
I have a 2004 36 FDDS. Just ran across your solution to the bed lift and want to install on mine. I can guess at the placing of the lifts but if you happen to have some dimentions on placing them it will save me from making mistakes.
I'm still on the road for the next two or three weeks but should be home after that and will have time to make this installation.
Thanks for any help.
Bob
Bob King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:22 PM   #10

You ask it for it.
Bed Lift Dimensions for EngineerMike's Bed:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BedLift Drawing v2 5.12.pdf (8.9 KB, 222 views)
Old 08-21-2012, 06:47 PM   #11
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Gentlemen,

HatchLift is one of our sponsors and they have a bed lift kit as part of their inventory. Call Garry Neff and tell him that you're an iRV2 member and you saw the ad.

Gary Bunzer, also known as the RV Doctor, recommends HatchLift.
Attached Images

RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote