Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-30-2010, 11:40 AM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Bedroom outlets

I thought I read a post on this, but couldn't find it in search.

Patty tells me the bedroom outlets in the m/h are not working. They were working a few weeks ago (it was vacant for a while plugged in at the campground). I had her reset the breakers, and tried the buttons on the inverter, no fix.

Am I (she) missing something?

Thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2010, 12:42 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Hello Tom:

Have her check the GFI in the bathroom. What do you miss more the wife or the Alpine?

Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 12:57 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Fernandez View Post
Hello Tom:

Have her check the GFI in the bathroom. What do you miss more the wife or the Alpine?
Dave, that is a tough one, you should have asked me that one via PM
Actually without getting sappy, I do miss Patty a wee bit more

GFI works. Outlets don't work on inverter either.
Old 07-01-2010, 02:28 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
More info, We must have a leg of the 50 amp out. The front air (nor just fan) doesn't work, nor the refer, light above the dinette, the 110 wall sconces on each side of the bedroom cabinets, and the wall sconces by both couches.

Microwave works, so does the electric hot water heater.

We have a Progressive Hardwired Energy Management System in place, and it shows no errors... so Patty tells me. I'm thinking maybe one side of the Progressive may be out. Or the inverter?

I will have Patty turn off the 50 amp breaker at the pedestal, and try the gen set tomorrow and see what we get.

It is hard to trouble shoot from 1600 miles.
Old 07-01-2010, 02:54 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Tom...
It is a fuse on the main panel in the bedroom. She needs to pull it and put it back in. It was discussed in Monaco AND we had the same thing a couple of weeks ago.
MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 12:27 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Soemetimes the bedroom has a GFCI in the line.. Mine does not, but many do.
Old 07-02-2010, 11:00 AM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Patty unplugged at the pedestal and fired up the genset. No power at the a/C, ect. So we do have a leg of the 50 amp out.

Dave F. told me to check the transfer switch, so Patty will get out the electric checking thing-a-ma-jiggy and see if we have power to both legs on the coach side of the transfer switch.
Old 07-03-2010, 05:16 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom and Patty View Post
Patty unplugged at the pedestal and fired up the genset. No power at the a/C, ect. So we do have a leg of the 50 amp out.

Dave F. told me to check the transfer switch, so Patty will get out the electric checking thing-a-ma-jiggy and see if we have power to both legs on the coach side of the transfer switch.
My setup has the Progressive EMS wired between the park power input and the transfer switch. If yours is the same and the EMS shows no errors, it's either the transfer switch or the circuit breaker itself, or (more likely, based on other posts in this forum) perhaps one of the connections has worked loose. If that's the sort of thing Patty does (after disconnecting park power and making very sure the inverter is off), pull the faceplate on the breaker panel and check all the screw connections; and crawl into the storage compartment, pull the transfer switch cover, and check all the solderless connectors as well as any screw connections.

Incidentally, the inverter has a circuit breaker on its face too; but that would affect the inverter-powered plugs, just the opposite of your situation.
F&D ABQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 08:42 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Dave, that is a tough one, you should have asked me that one via PM
Actually without getting sappy, I do miss Patty a wee bit more

GFI works. Outlets don't work on inverter either.
The outlets in the bed room in my M/H, will not work on the Invertor.
Maybe yours is the same as mine.
Old 07-05-2010, 04:35 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Found the problem.

We have wire that came off of one of the relays that melted (see photo) located between the two blue wire nuts. It looks like there was a lot of heat since it melted to what looks like two BB's. I'll have to replace the transfer switch. Hopefully the problem was the transfer switch and not something downstream.

This is after our Progressive EMS, that shows no errors, so I would guess we didn't have a surge.

Thanks to Dave F. for his help in finding the problem.

Now to find out why. Any ideas?

Old 07-05-2010, 06:27 PM   #11

There is a very long thread on loose wires/connectors [both 12v and 120v] on the Forum. You cant check all the connections but a review of the obvious junction points should be on your annual "make-ready" checklists. These locations include: inside the genset, the genset junction on ceiling above genset, the transfer switch [T-S], inverter, surge-guard, and the std breaker and fuses boxes in/near the bathroom area. Newer coaches have an integrated T-S/surgeguard, while older coaches have a separate T-S. As a replacement T-S, "Lyght" makes a DC current actuated model that is much quieter than its AC cousin--we've had this model in our 2003 for several years now it has worked fine.

PS--Despite periodically checking my T-S, I hadnt noticed that a loose wire had in fact welded the lug in place, giving the appearance that it was properly tightened.
Old Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 11:04 PM   #12

Is there a sign you may have had a stray copper filament short to the burnt wire from a nearby wire?
Old 07-05-2010, 11:34 PM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Found the problem.

We have wire that came off of one of the relays that melted (see photo) located between the two blue wire nuts. It looks like there was a lot of heat since it melted to what looks like two BB's. I'll have to replace the transfer switch. Hopefully the problem was the transfer switch and not something downstream.

This is after our Progressive EMS, that shows no errors, so I would guess we didn't have a surge.

Thanks to Dave F. for his help in finding the problem.

Now to find out why. Any ideas?
I had changed out my box a couple of years ago because it wouldn't transfer reliably, so got it out and looked at it (yes, I keep lots of old junk like that). Near as I can tell, the relay contacts had to be wired in parallel to carry more than 30 A; if so, the right-hand side of the right-hand relay may have opened resulting in excess current through the melted wire. Look at the wiring diagram for "inverter/alternate source" in the lid.

Or - the WRV craftsman may just have cut down the wire so it would fit into the connector, and it finally gave up.
F&D ABQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 06:32 AM   #14

EM makes a good point--the standard 50 amp multi-strand [4-5 strands] is easier to work so its not too challanging to make sure all of the strands are tightened inside the lug. On the other hand, the 50 amp RV cable coming from the genset and cable reel is made up of very fine strands--making sure they all get inside the lug is a bear! Just ask some former WRV "wiring techs" [to call them electricians might be over doing it].

Old Scout is online now   Reply With Quote