Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-27-2007, 08:42 PM   #15

I couldn't agree more. 12V lights for reading in bed and above the dining table, for the same reasons you said!

OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2007, 03:55 PM   #16

Personally, I vote for 12V lighting in bedroom. It would appear, however, that it is more of an issue for the 34's and 36's because many of us prefer that size for more rustic-type camping. If your into the 40's, and have dishwashers, residential refers and the like, it doesn't matter too much for you.

Old 02-01-2007, 03:44 PM   #17

Alpine Owners Club
Since there haven't been too many responses in favor of 12v bedroom reading lights, I don't think we will be able to convince WRV to make a change or offer an option. Perhaps the best approach is that if anyone finds a way to wire those lights for 12v, they can post their method here.

Thanks to you all for your input.
gjstacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 05:38 PM   #18

Not to beat a subject to death regarding 12V reading lights in the bedroom, but with your reasoning, why not save another few dollars and eliminate them from under cabinets in the living areas, too. Providing 12V service in the bedroom area would require picking up power from the ceiling or from the service bay area. It should not be something on the option list. It was on the 2000 and I just wonder how much was saved by deleting it on the 06.
Old 02-02-2007, 04:39 PM   #19

Alpine Owners Club
Lundy,

I don't think it was really a matter of saving money as much as just trying to provide a more "home-like" feeling in the bedroom, where it is assumed that the brighter lights make for a better reading experience. I read a lot, and I do find the under cabinet lights in the living area difficult to read by, while the lights in the bedroom are brighter and makes reading easier for my old eyes.

I guess I could be wrong about WRV's motive.
Old 02-03-2007, 08:58 PM   #20

I finally got tired of the bedroom reading lights on 110V/Inverter and bought some stick-on battery powered LED lights that use 3 AAA batteries each, and mounted them under my overhead cabinets so I can have DC reading lights and not overly drain my battery and need the inverter if I don't need to.

These lights rotate and swivel and I've found them very comfortable to read under (although it's a bright, very whitish blue light). In addition they work well for getting up in the middle of the night without putting out so much light they wake up the partner in my bed. They are touch on/off so they're easy to turn on in the dark.

These lights cost $14 for 3 of them at Costco. When I get tired of them I'll pull them off the cabinet, using a hair dryer to remove the old adhesive and everything should be fine.

If you want DC lights around the bed with little fuss you might want to try these.
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 09:35 AM   #21

Alpine Owners Club
Oldforester,

What a great idea and such a simple, inexpensive solution!
Old 02-04-2007, 07:25 PM   #22

Just got back into internet territory and have just been reading, with great interest, the discussion re 12V lighting. RVs like ours are built to be self-contained, so why not include 12V lighting and outlets? And the idea of a home-like atmosphere - if I wanted that, I would still be in a stick-built instead of being the full-timer, forest and desert lover that I am.

During our walkthru of the 2002 Alpine which we purchased in 2004, we became aware of the lack of 12V lighting in the bedroom and over the dining table, as well as the lack of convenient 12V outlets. But, the coach was (and still is) too much to our liking to turn down the purchase. Fortunately, we figured out how to install 12V lighting over the dining table and over the head of the bed by extending existing 12V lines as well as adding new ones. We also added several 12V outlets in the living and dining area. Nothing fancy, but all wires are hidden.

Gail and John, please don't drop this idea since many of us like our Alpines enough to buy another. But, I've seen the Alpines move more and more toward residential amenities. If most of the owners perfer that, so be it. I won't be a future Alpine owner if this trend becomes complete.

Sorry for the length of this reply, but my comments to Mark, Dave, etc at WRV ever since I've owned the coach seem to be dead-ended.

Bob McIntosh
2002 Alpine 36MDDS
Towing lifted 1999 Jeep Cherokee, or
2005 Chrysler Town and Country
Old 02-05-2007, 06:54 AM   #23

Alpine Owners Club
Bob,

Thanks so much for your comments. I certainly understand where you are coming from. I will have a discussion with WRV folks, as they do read this and will see all of the comments made in this thread. Unfortunately, there haven't been very many of you that have indicated a desire for these 12v lights, even though there have been over 700 views of this thread, so I don't know how far this will get.

I will keep you all advised.

Gail
Old 02-05-2007, 09:30 AM   #24

We don't dry camp often, but we, too, need to leave the inverter on to power the refrigerator. At one time I turned off some of the breakers (e.g. to the entertainment center) to reduce some of the "phantom" draw. During the night, when we were reading, the lights would go off, then come on again. It happened several times. When I called Xantrex, they said that if there is not enough draw on the inverter, it will cut off and on looking for something to do. When I restored the entertainment breaker, things worked okay. I watch the Xantrex display to see how many amps are being pulled from the inverter. If I see is's about 25 amps, I figure 25 amps for 10 hours is about 250 amps (although the Xantrex person said it's better to add about another 20% for current loss). Since I am good for about 350 amp hours (50% of battery capacity) I make it through the night okay. In the morning, the lights on the status panel show my batteries still above 50% charge.
gator67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 12:08 PM   #25

At first I couldn't figure out why this thread was so popular. Now I see it is one of those livability concerns that is very individual to how each of us uses our coach. My guess is that the 110V 'standard' evolved as a response to the general trend toward park usage of coaches, much like slip usage of yachts. Most folks don't anchor out that much (whether by land or by sea) but those who do as a rule, tend toward 12V usage and away from 110V.
I can't imagine how this could ever translate to an issue of importance from a financial perspective to WRV or any other manufacturer. However, as a customer service issue it would be clever to design a customer's-choice plan.
Based on experience w/110V-12V living in off-grid areas of Mexico (e.g. ceiling fan lights wired 12V while fan motors must stay 110V), I believe bulb bases that are voltage-interchangable could be used, along w/wire sizes suitable to the more restrictive voltage extended to the requisite portion of the coach (in my rig that'd be the hollow section tween bedroom & toilet room where both 110V & 12V are breakered/fused, YLMV, and there may be closer points of interchange to the subject lighting). There it would be a simple thing to direct wiring of subject lighting to its preferred voltage source within a junction box. This could be set to one standard during manufacture, then revised as req'd by the dealer at PDI, or by a future owner years down the road. It would require one j-box w/the wire from the subject lighting, and a feeder pigtail of choice from the voltage source to the j-box, with the potential voltage sources shown on the electrical schematics. Might add $10 cost of parts over a single voltage design, and maybe 0.5hr labor vs. straight-thru wiring (i.e. not a zero consequence issue financially).
Another approach would be to devise a kit for converting to 12V, w/instructions for what goes where, 12V bulbs, which fuse, where to abandon the 110V connection, shut-off-the-power-you-idiot-B4-working-w/-electricity... and sell the kit
Old 02-07-2007, 09:09 PM   #26

EM: Your idea of customer's choice plan for 110AC/12VDC is good. I know most of the Alpine owners in the Escapees club and there are a number of us that spend considerable time off the grid - not of necessity, but because we get more enjoyment being far from the bright lights. And we still believe that Alpine is about the best coach going.

Many other coach builders manage to build for both on & off grid living. Why not WRV/Alpne? Could it be that WRV management wants their coaches to be seen only in RV resorts except when at Alpine rallies? I submit that Alpine owners are more diverse than that!

Bob McIntosh
2002 36MDDS
Towing lifted 1999 Cherokee or
2005 Chrysler Town & Country
Old 02-08-2007, 09:53 PM   #27

Alpine Owners Club
I am a dry camper and would love having more 12v receptacles and lights so that I can read at night and not have to stumble through the coach to turn off the invertor.

Another item that would be just too cool is a controller to turn on the furnace from the head of the bed so it's nice and toasty in the morning for that first trip - if you know what I mean :-)

I know, I just want to be spoiled!

Lynn
2004 36 MDDS
2004 36MDDS #74920
Poulsbo, WA
Lynn Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 08:00 PM   #28

Alpine Owners Club
The '98's have two sets of lights, a pair of spots that are 110 and a pair of Sconce Lights that are 12v.

Jeff

1998 36FDS