Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-28-2004, 08:50 AM   #1

Anyone with a 2002 model having problems with the bedroom slide. Mine just started to go out but will not come back in! It took one "really big person" outside lifting and pushing to retract the slide. We do not keep anything heavy in the closet. I noticed on the 2003 models, they have added additional upper supports on the rear slide.

BernieS - ACA Member
2002 36FT Alpine

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2004, 08:50 AM   #2

Anyone with a 2002 model having problems with the bedroom slide. Mine just started to go out but will not come back in! It took one "really big person" outside lifting and pushing to retract the slide. We do not keep anything heavy in the closet. I noticed on the 2003 models, they have added additional upper supports on the rear slide.

BernieS - ACA Member
2002 36FT Alpine

Old 05-30-2004, 02:16 PM   #3

Have you checked bleed to be sure you have no air in hydraulic line? If air is present it destroys most of the hydraulic function.
Chuck Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 06:05 AM   #4

The slide on your 2002 36 ft is electric. I have a 38 with the same slide and it is electric.

Inside the coach behind the carpet that hangs down in front of the closet, is the electric motor, check to see if the bolts are tight on the shaft that connects the left and right side of the slide. Also the slide teeth need to be lubed every once and awhile.
Old 06-01-2004, 02:01 PM   #5

I have had it checked out and everything appears to be fine. It only did it that one time, and it has been lubed. The repair facility that I deal with thinks the slide tracks are too short and bend slightly when the slide is extended. I have been using small start and stop movements to extend the slide. This seems to have helped.
Old 08-06-2004, 09:13 PM   #6

I have just purchased an 01 36 FDDS and found that the bedroom slide strains to get in and out. When loaded with cloths, it needs help. (my wife pushes the button and I pull or push the slide.) Also, after fully extending it, the top moves slightly inward and does not seal. I have to bring it slightly in for the top to rock back and provide an upper seal. I have not had it in the rain so I don't know if there is problem leaking. Any ideas on how to adjust it so it seals when fully extended?

Steve
Old 08-09-2004, 12:33 PM   #7

Steve, I have not had problems with the slide sealing. It does strain/rock & roll, while moving in and out, but the final motion is the top of the slide drops down to seal. We do not put anything heavy in the slide expecially the shelf! As the slide moves in and out there is a neutral point where it is level. I have been using small movements to prevent any binding and so far, so good. I did notice on the 2003 they had an upper guide assembly to prevent the rocking motion.

Bernie ACA Member
Old 08-09-2004, 08:10 PM   #8

Bernie - The final motion of my BR slide seals the top and before it stops, moves the bottom out further and the top in. I have to then move it in about a half second to bring the top back out. Haven't seen any way to adjust it and haven't figured out what causes the top to rock inward during the last fraction of a second while extending. As far as it straining, I was thinking about lubricating the gear train to see if it helps.

Steve
Old 08-09-2004, 08:43 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Hello and Welcome Bernie S:

My Bedroom slide (Closet) (2001 38 FDDS) does the same thing, during the final outward movment of my BR slide, it seals at the top and before it stops the bottom moves out just a little further and the top tips in. I then move the slide back in for a half second and the top tips out and reseals. I also have not seen any way to adjust it and I haven't figured out what causes the top to tip inward during the last fraction of a second while extending.

As for the straining, I would also suggest lubricating the gear train to see if that helps.

Dave
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 10:45 AM   #10

Thanks Dave. I will try lubricating the rails to see if that helps the strain situation, and continue to poke around regarding the tilting.

Steve
Old 08-24-2004, 11:29 PM   #11

Bernie,

I had the same bedroom slide problem that you describe on the 2001 38FDDS. Several dealers tried to adjust it, but to no avail. When I was at the WRV factory for other work, they finally fixed the problem by adjust the tension on the slide awning.

Dale
Dale777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 12:04 PM   #12

Dale,

You addressed your post to Bernie, but were you actually responding to Dave's post? If so, it sounds like WRV loosened the tension on your rear slide awning so it would not pull the top in. Is that correct? If so, you might want to make sure that the awning tension is too loose. If it is a little loose, there is the risk of wind catching it and pulling it unravelled when driving down the highway...expecially if there are strong winds. I have not seen that happen but have heard of it happening on some RVs...don't know what brand. Anyway, thanks for the post, I'll look at mine.
Old 08-25-2004, 12:11 PM   #13

OOPS - forgot the "not" in front of "..too loose" in my previous post.
Old 08-25-2004, 06:52 PM   #14

That's interesting. My BR slide leads and lags on the bottom so the top does seal. There is a pivot point where the top tilts outward an the bottom catches up. I have noticed that when it rains the LR slide is afected by water on the awning. It comes in at an angle and hits the ceiling. I have to retract it at small intervals to allow the water to drain.

Bernie ACA Member