Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-13-2008, 07:51 AM   #1

From our previous query as to wheather anyone went to HWH for slide repairs we did not received any responce.Apparently no one has requested HWH to repair/ennginner a solution to this problem.We are on our forth set of hoses so we contacted Randy at HWH and he is of the opinion that if I take the coach to their factory they can remedy the problem for good.If anyone goes this route please let us know and we will do the same. Dan wd8mdf@aol.com

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2008, 07:51 AM   #2

From our previous query as to wheather anyone went to HWH for slide repairs we did not received any responce.Apparently no one has requested HWH to repair/ennginner a solution to this problem.We are on our forth set of hoses so we contacted Randy at HWH and he is of the opinion that if I take the coach to their factory they can remedy the problem for good.If anyone goes this route please let us know and we will do the same. Dan wd8mdf@aol.com

Old 06-13-2008, 08:41 AM   #3

Dan & Donna, Don't know if anyone has told you but the solution to hwh problem on the rear slide is to route the hoses away from the radiator. If I am incorrect someone please correct me. Lindsay Hargett Guaranty RV
Old 06-13-2008, 08:59 AM   #4

Tnx Lindsay Hargett,the repair facility that did our last two repairs said they changed the hose route and installed the heat shield as per WRV's instructions.Did not solve the problem and their 90 day warranty is a joke.
Old 06-13-2008, 12:12 PM   #5

Dan&Donna,

I believe that Lindsay is correct in saying that the hoses need to be routed away from the radiator. However, apparently there have been some bad hoses/connectors also, so you might have encountered two issues.

In addition to possible bad hoses/connectors, the other issue is having hoses with connectors and a speed valve lying on top of the radiator or held just above the radiator. As metal, the speed valve and connectors pick up heat from the radiator and conduct it through the first couple of inches of the hose, thereby damaging the hose. So, the solution is to move the portion of the hoses with the speed valve and the connectors to the battery compartment.

If your repair facility left any metal part of the hoses above the radiator, they did it wrong. Look in the battery compartment for the speed valve and connectors for hoses the go to the bedroom slide. Lift up (carefully with two people) the radiator cover and look for any hose connectors or speed valve that may still be above the radiator.

I do believe that HWH can permanently fix your problem. They have understood the problem for years, but WRV would not listen to them.

What I've described above as a fix was done to my coach 1 1/2 years ago, but only after I insisted and insisted on that specific fix.

If your repair facility re-routed the hoses correctly, they would have placed the
Dale777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 01:58 PM   #6

I feel compelled to respond again on this issue. The problem is not radiator heat. Routing the hoses away from heat is a good idea, but the hoses should take 250 degrees+ of heat, according to our HWH technician, and the radiator doesn't get there normally.

As I mentioned previously, our third set of hoses failed when the engine was not turned on. We installed the hoses, routed them and all connectors away from the radiator, and cycled the wardrobe slide in and out twice a day for a week or so and that set of hoses failed, producing bubbles at the connection. Absolutely no engine heat, daytime temperatures in the 70's, and the hoses failed.

The HWH tech talked to the factory and they sent a fourth set that actually had a different looking connector. They've been on the coach 1 1/2 years and so far doing well.

So our experience indicates this was not a WRV problem, radiator heat is not the issue, but an HWH problem and they fixed it with hoses with different connectors.
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 08:35 PM   #7

As I stated, there can two issues: either bad hoses/connectors and/or heat related issues. Now that WRV has closed its doors, I can mention the name of the person from HWH who stated that the issue was primarily heat related - Andy Ruing, HWH Manager for the Northwest. Andy personally helped in resolving my bedroom hose issue. It was through his assistance that I was able to get WRV to pay extensively to have my hose connectors and speed valve relocated to the battery compartment from above the radiator.

At the time, Andy stated that he had told WRV what the problem was and what the fix was for over a year. They ignored him.

If the problem was in all cases hose related, why is the problem only with the DS bedroom slide area and only on the 34/36 foot coaches? If only hose related, you would expect the other hoses that go to the jacks, PS living room slide, DS living room slide, and PS bedroom slide to have failures.
Dale777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 08:42 AM   #8

Dale,

You make a point about the front slide hoses not failing.

I would make the point that our second set of hoses failed when they were routed away from the radiator and the WRV heat shield was applied to the fitting area. So second set failed when routed away from heat, and third set failed when the engine was never turned on, and experienced no heat.

During this time HWH was insisting it was a WRV problem. Our HWH technician in Palm Springs watched the progress and kept telling HWH it wasn't a heat problem as they maintained, but a hose problem since the heat was gone from both the second and third set of hoses when they failed.

So your HWH person insists it's heat and ours says it's not and uses two of our non-heat related failures as evidence. In any case our last set has worked well, so I guess it doesn't really matter as long as they work.

I'm wondering if the living room slide has different hose connectors or different hoses? I haven't checked the fittings or hoses in the front to see if they're different.
Old 06-15-2008, 10:46 AM   #9

Time to throw a monkey wrench in this one. My livingroom slide hyd. hose was blistering AND my rear drivers side jack hose was blistering. IMO its just bad product(hoses), period.
William Schnieber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 05:01 PM   #10

Maybe I already asked this question?

Can the regulators be turned down a little with the hopes of reduced pressure allowing the hoses to live a little longer.
Mule Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 05:53 AM   #11
tcu

Dan & Patty, the slides on your coach are designed to work at a certain pressure with a safety factor. Reducing the pressure is not really a very good option. Your problem can be resolved with good, quality hoses and fittings. From what I understand HWH has stood up to the plate and now has done this. If not, find a good forklift repair company and ask them who does their hose work. They can handle these hoses in a heartbeat.
Old 02-03-2010, 05:31 PM   #12

Crawled under Jerry Smith's 34'-06 today. He had the bedroom slide hose reroute program under warranty. This left a loop of HWH hose under the floor, between the frame rails, and above the parking brake (this location is to remove hoses from the radiator area). It is partially visible w/the bed up, and sort of standing your head on the PS side of the bed looking forward (need a flashlight BTW), but the full assembly of hose can't be seen this way. You have to crawl under the coach from behind the wheels; under the battery tray works pretty well. The warranty work placed the looped hose just above the U-joints.

Cummins West in West Sacramento had just completed a turbo-elbow replacement, and full inspection along w/filters, etc. The Cummins guy noted the leaking hose but attributed it to a jack. Jerry asked if it was near the parking brake (Jerry's a little sensitive to that following an earlier HWH-hose-change-parking-brake-soak-w/HWH-fluid comedy of errors that had a colorful denoument; I won't spoil the story as he tells it so well). The Cummins guy said: " No, your parking brake is in your hubs." Oh well, at least he spotted a leak of some kind, and changed the correct elbow.

Jerry has a bubble on one of the 1/8" i.d. hoses right by a fitting crimp that is leaking. It looks like it sprays a teeny bit of fluid at this point, but is easily going to separate more fully some day soon if not attended to. If it soaks the parking brake, then the brake shoes will have to be replaced for safety.

My reason for posting is to recommend a full end-to-end check of HWH hoses & fittings when doing an annual engine/trans hose & wire loom check. Stuff can come undone, rub, and make a mess, as well as simply fail progressively; a periodic inspection will help cut some of that off before it becomes a bigger headache or worse.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:26 PM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
My 2007 34' went through a number of hose replacements for the bedroom slide. All the HWH hoses failed at the fitting of the 1/8" hoses. I don't believe heat was the problem. I finally had 1/4" hoses made up locally and have had no more failures. There are six hoses to replace and new holes will have to be drilled at an angle through the thick floor because the 1/4" hoses don't bend as readily. I replaced them myself. The hoses must be filled with fluid before connecting because there is no way to bleed them. Also be careful removing the radiator grill. It is hinged at the top and bolted at the bottom. Most of the bolt brackets were broken. After unbolting, lift from the bottom but support the grill fully because before it reaches 90 degrees, it jumps out of the groove at the top. This piece is very complicated welded aluminum.
Rick J Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 11:23 PM   #14

My third set of hoses failed by forming a bubble near the fittings and then leaking, with seven days of retractions/extensions one time a day and without the engine being turned on so no heat was involved. It was a test to make sure heat wasn't involved on brand new HWH hoses. Fourth set of HWH hoses had different fittings and they have held so far for nearly two years. Rick, I couldn't agree more with you on heat not being involved.