Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2007, 02:57 PM   #15

For water cooled brakes, I recommend a male great dane, stop often and walk him around the coach stopping at each tire. English wolfhound would be a good substitute, tho I believe they have less reserve capacity. Shorter breeds are not suitable for 22.5" wheels, and females require special training.

As far as pad longevity, I don't expect to replace pads in my tenure on this coach. Most of our miles are long-haul and under cruise control or similar conditions. When we sold our 140,000 mile Celica, the buyer took it to his mechanic who pronounced it in superb condition, having 97% of the original brake pad (SWMBO commuted 90 miles each way to/from work in less than 2 hours; all clear highway miles, no braking, sorta like driving motorhome).

For those w/heavy brake pedal pressure req'd, part of a service to discern trouble would be visual inspection of pads for glazing, and rotors for bluing, etc. One reason I bought Alpine was that I can inspect & service brakes; just need the torque multiplier to remove & retorque wheels (475 ft-lbs), and a few advil after hefting the suckers around.
If there were options, I'd prefer softer pads.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2007, 04:57 PM   #16

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
I have a male wire haired dachshound who has a GREAT rear leg lift. His only problem seems to be keeping up with the coach on down hill grades. Those short legs really get moving!
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 05:27 PM   #17

Tom & Patty,

Thanks. As the build date for the Coach we just bought was 11/98 and our models employ the same components, could you give me more information about the recall (recall #, date, references, etc.)?

Engineer Mike,
Where did you get the Torque multiplier?

Jerry Davis,
Why not take a hint from Chevy Chase who, in the movie "Vacation", nearly solved the problem of a slow dog by using a leash attaching the dog to the bumper of his car? I'd guess he was able to make about 30 miles per hour before the dog's legs gave out.
Caution: short bursts ONLY!
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 06:12 PM   #18

Having done a little research on my 03 40fdts I found tha it is equipped with a Bosch "hydroboost" power master cylinder. It is, as we know, powered normally by the power steering pump. If the engine fails then a 12volt 55 amp electic pump provides emergency power to the master cylinder. The hydraulic disc brakes and the ABS system are manufactured by what was Meritor-Bendix and is now called Arvin-Meritor. The Arvin-Meritor part of the system designed for a maxium of a 33,000 GVW vehicle. So much for a 41,000 CGVW unless we have a good toad auxillary braking system.

While testing out our ABS system on startup I noticed that the ABS light did not come on. It is supposed to light for a moment to show the system is OK. But we had no light. Further checking found that an ABS test switch was turned off. When I turned it on, the ABS test light turned on......... Reading the Meritor service manual (downloaded from the internet) I found that the test switch is supposed to be a momemtary ON switch and not an off-on switch. Now I cannot get the ABS switch to turn of while the engine is running. This means that I have an ABS problem that I was not aware of. OH MY! Now to find a competent ABS mechanic.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:39 AM   #19

Bob- Torque multipliers are easy to buy used off eBay. Do a search on torque multiplier. The X-4 variants are sold under various brands; I bought one w/a Snap-On label. They have 1/2" drive input and 3/4" drive output; need a 3/4" extension, about 12" to reach the inside rear lugs.

Mine came w/a 1"+ x 12" pipe handle, and I have a 1" x 24" rebar extension to push against a 2x4 block on the ground for the reaction req'd. I carry a long torque wrench to reset the lugs using the multiplier. Net multiplication is 3x due to internal friction of the 4x gears, so w/a 2ft. torque ratchet I only need to pull w/120# for proper torque. I'm not a very big guy, but I can do the 120.

There are some job-specific multipliers sold under the X-12 brand name that are 12x multiplication, compact and real slick. They are also great money de-multipliers, using up about 4x the loot I paid for mine off eBay. I'm going to make a short reaction bar like the X-12 uses for my multiplier when I fire up my welder the next time.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:56 AM   #20

E Mike, looking at the X-12 literature they indicate that a 12 year old or a 100 lb women can loosen the lug nut on any truck, RV, etc. Now, what does the 100# women do with this
400 # tire and wheel? . Not to be entirely stupid what does the multiplier have to do with your welder. Just what does it take to fire up your welder? Are you going to weld the nuts onto the studs or the 100 lb. lady with or without the 12 year old?

Ted

I really can't include Carol in this. She weighs over 100#'s.
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 11:57 AM   #21

Ted, my multiplier has a pipe handle that extends 90 degrees from the head. The X-12 version has an angled reaction bar that presses against the adjacent lug nut, a convenience that makes it really easy to set up. So I'm gunna chop/modify the pipe handle to resemble the X-12's reaction bar. the welder is to assist in the refabrication.

As to getting fired up, won't your wife when she see's you discussing her weight on the internet ?? Mine would be devising clever ways to deprive me of oxygen.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:14 PM   #22

Thanks Mike.
I'll do some looking around.
Old 06-19-2007, 04:19 PM   #23

Alpine Owners Club
X-12 $619.00 , Patty says isn't that what we have Rv roadside assist for? Patty's, the one who calls ME when she has a flat, or the car won't start, because she doesn't want to inconvenience AAA
Old 06-20-2007, 01:35 AM   #24

E. Mike, Thanks for the explanation on the welder issue and the x-12 bar. You are absolutely correct that I should probably drop the conversation about the weight of the woman immediately. Was not thinking at all.
Tom & Bob, I will do some checking on some of the tools we distribute and see if I can get a better price on a match to the X-12. I am sure that Proto has a match but none of them are going to say Snap-On. I still want to know what you are going to do with this tire & wheel when you get the lugs off?
Old 06-20-2007, 02:10 AM   #25

Oh yeah?
And who's the smart one Tom?

She and Peg would get a long just fine.
Great minds, etc.
Old 06-20-2007, 02:17 AM   #26

Ted,

I'm also curious what kind of jack will be needed to affect the change.

Perhaps we can chain the torque multiplier and jack to the Coach and rig a quick-release feature so we can eject them onto the ground at 60 MPH for use as anchors when our brakes fail.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:06 AM   #27

Ted- for the most part, roadside tire service is the clever choice, if for no other reason than avoidance of osteo-arthritic complications, and my preference when in the States. However, not all countries have such services, and I have found myself more than 500 miles from legit towing services and broken down (fortunately not this coach). My plan if I ever need to activate lug-nut removal is to haul the tire/wheel to a local "llantera" or tire repair shop in the toad, then back. Yeah they weigh a lot, but two can muscle a tire into/outa the toad and offa/onto the coach, even in my elderly, enfeebled condition. YMMV.
Old 06-20-2007, 05:00 PM   #28

Mike, I completely understand your response and exactly where you are coming from, literally.