Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-26-2009, 01:15 PM   #1

Bendix brakes

It appears I have Bendix brakes on my 1999 36SDS. Due to a caliper dragging problem, the left front ABS sensor is bad, probably due to overheating.

The unit is a cylinder ~5/8" diameter by ~2" long.

Can anybody point me in the right direction to get a replacement?

rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2009, 05:49 PM   #2

Bob,
The place that did my brakes had them in stock,but he is away on vacation.When I get in touch with him I will get the part number.
They must be pretty comon for them to have in stock,they are more of a truck place then motorhome.I will try him again on monday.
see ya, Ray

Old 09-26-2009, 06:46 PM   #3

Thanks Ray.
I'll probably order one from him immediately if he takes I-net orders with CC.
If not, I'll do it the other way, by check and snail-mail.

Your help is appreciated.

Bob
Old 10-01-2009, 07:47 PM   #4

Bob- I think you have Bosch brake calipers with Meritor-Wabco ABS & ABS sensors. Take a look at this thread on the Workhorse forum for info on the Bosch brakes including a good look at a bad sensor. If any of that looks familiar, you have Bosch pin-slide 2-piston brakes. You should be able to pull the sensor and unplug it about 18-24" from the caliper end and take it in for matching to most truck frame shops that do brakes and front ends, or your local NAPA that has a large truck part counter (most towns have one).
Old 10-01-2009, 08:45 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
I had the same problem on my m/h. went to my local truck supply parts house(looked up truck parts in the yellow pages). They had everything I needed at a great price. The brake sensor was $48 and the caliber was $229 I think. I don't remember how much the pad were. Just like working on a car only a little heaver. Have fun and good luck.
George
Old 10-05-2009, 08:21 PM   #6

Bob,
Sorry it took so long to get back to you,the guy that fixed my coach was'nt much help.take a look at this link I think they have what you need. see ya,Ray

http://www.meritorhvs.com/MeritorHVS...ts/TP06109.pdf
Old 10-10-2009, 06:55 AM   #7

Hi Ray.

Unfortunately, the example you provided does not depict what I have. Guess I'll have too do it the hard way and visit a few sites for a match.

Regardless, thank you for the effort. It is appreciated.

Bob
Old 04-24-2010, 07:31 AM   #8

Back again with the same problem.
The place I use for my work, this time to remove, purge and replace the brake fluid and lube the caliper sliders, cannot find a sensor for the ABS.

Consequently, I'm still looking for help.

My calipers (on Coach # 72127) have wedge-shaped sliders with a plate retaining one side (retained by bolts through a half-wedge). I have not found my number (72127) on any recall list nor do I see any resemblance to what I have in either the Meritor or Bosch manuals.

Any suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob
Old 04-24-2010, 10:12 AM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Hello Bob:

I found a good source for parts including brakes they are a National Heavy Duty Parts house called Fleet Pride. They should be able to get what ever you need in the way of brakes. Here is there link http://fleetpride.com/fp_p/index.html I hope this info helps.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 10:32 AM   #10

Thanks Dave.

I'll give them a shot when I get the rig back and can pull the sensor. Fortunately, there's 1 not too far from me.

Safe travels,

Bob
Old 04-26-2010, 03:31 PM   #11

Bob- if it turns out your rig has Bendix, that is an oddity that probably applies to a few other rigs near your serial number. If you could get some pics when you have a wheel off and casting numbers and send them to me for the Library that'd be great. Suppliers, part#'s, prices, etc. would be even better. A large contribution to my 401k would be truly fabulous, tho probably more than I should actually expect.
Old 04-26-2010, 04:27 PM   #12

HAHAHA!!!!!
You're just a Yuk a minute Mikey.
Did you ever think about taking that 401K line on the road?

Unfortunately Mike, I did not get a chance to look at the calipers very well when the wheels were pulled to lube the sliders last year. BUT, just for you, I'll try to get a few pics and casting numbers when I crawl under it to retrieve the bad sensor (I did look at the brake recall info and found our 72127 was not included).

Based on what others reported, I was a little worried about the cost of doing the work on the rear sliders and changing the brake fluid. However, it was for naught. The entire bill for annual PA inspection, replacing the brake fluid, complete lube job (including the Diff), pulling the rear wheels and lubing the caliper slides was $385.00.

I've been pretty fortunate in that and God, as always, has been good to us.

Later,
Bob