Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2016, 08:29 AM   #1

Beveled Kitchen Mirror

We are currently removing the beveled mirror behind the kitchen sink. The BOM, Boss Of Me, would like glass tile there. She has removed all of the mirrors and managed to pull 4 or 5 off without breaking or chipping them. It was a PITA to remove them. Heat, putty knives and a couple of kitchen type knives helped.

We have the pieces set aside and we wanted to check here to see if anybody needs all or some of them before we trash 'em. I'm not sure how easy it would be to replace an existing piece, but, we have some spares and they are yours for the asking. Say the word and we'll send them to ya!! Hopefully in one piece

Terry
Terry W is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2016, 08:40 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry W View Post
We are currently removing the beveled mirror behind the kitchen sink. The BOM, Boss Of Me, would like glass tile there. She has removed all of the mirrors and managed to pull 4 or 5 off without breaking or chipping them. It was a PITA to remove them. Heat, putty knives and a couple of kitchen type knives helped.

We have the pieces set aside and we wanted to check here to see if anybody needs all or some of them before we trash 'em. I'm not sure how easy it would be to replace an existing piece, but, we have some spares and they are yours for the asking. Say the word and we'll send them to ya!! Hopefully in one piece

Terry
Warning, when installing the new tile, keep in mind that the odds are you may need to remove them sometime in the future. If you get a leaky shower valve or leaky shower fittings the only access to that area is through the slide wall that you are covering.
Old 03-25-2016, 04:40 PM   #3

Ken,

Do you think that could ever happen

I saw that big hole and ran the slide out the see what I could see and low and behold, there's the shower plumbing. We're kicking it around now, but, when you get down to it, you're either braking mirror or tile :(

I'll let ya know how it turns out.

Thanks for the heads up, Terry
Old 03-25-2016, 08:04 PM   #4

I haven't had to use the access hole in 12+ years. But I still would not permanently cover it just in case. Obviously you are aware of it, so do whatever you wish.
Old 03-26-2016, 06:33 AM   #5

Hi Terry,
I just finished the same project. With all the mirrors in the coach, I felt like Elvis driving down the road. I was going to use real travertine or glass tile. I wanted to add it to several places throughout the coach for uniformity, (counter backsplash, bathroom backsplash, long mirrored wall behind dining room table, full length wood wall across from bath sink). When I got the samples, I did the weight calculations and changed my mind. I am a old school kind of guy and hate anything artificial, but new technologies have changed my mind. I went with the self stick phony glass tile from Lowes. This stuff is about the same price as real glass tile, but no added weight, no mess, easy to use, and looks real. I was blown away when I finished it. I also had an upholsterer redo my headboard in bone colored alligator, I know, sounds crazy, but looks great and makes me feel manly. At the same time I had the upholsterer cover a piece of 1/4 inch plywood with the same alligator and velcroed this uniformly behind the kitchen sink. I am looking for a piece of art work of some sort to replace it in the future, but I kind of like it, and it goes very well with the tile. You could spot glue a piece of FRP smooth plastic sheeting on that entire wall, and phony tile on top of that. If you need to get to the valve, you could pry away the entire sheet and put it back when you are done. Just a thought. I will be at the Newport Dunes rally in April, if anyone wants to check it out.

Frank
36 ft.
ALPINEER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 07:52 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Frank,

That sounds like a great upgrade. Any chance you could post a few pictures ?
Old 03-26-2016, 08:10 AM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
And add them to the "Quick fix and easy mods -Alpine style" sticky.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 09:27 AM   #8

I am out of town for Easter, but will be at the Alpine next week. Will give it a shot then.

Frank
ALPINEER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 04:23 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
FWIW ... Frank attended our Spring Training Rally in Goodyear where many of us reviewed his backsplash project. It looks AWESOME! The best part of the project was the fact that you don't have to remove that wallpaper. The new sheets of tile stick right on.

Also, a previous owner in Colorado had used real mosaic tile on his kitchen. He built a "window box" for that hole behind the sink and used it as a spice rack. Obviously, the box was easy to remove if necessary for servicing the shower valves. In fact, servicing the valves is the reason why he removed the mirrors and then installed backsplash. They had started leaking.
bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 04:33 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I removed beveled mirrors around my stove and installed the Smart Tiles (plastic sheets) in 2013. Still holding up fine.

Pictures in this thread, page 2...

RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Kitchen/Bathroom backsplash upgrade
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 12:24 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Smile

We have not been on the Forum for a long time. but I was searching for Hydro-Hot leaks and somehow found this thread!

When we had our MDTS '07 Apex built I ordered it without the mirrors in the kitchen! I also felt like all the mirrors made it too glitzy!

They put a high splash of the Corian with large XXX grooves and metal medallions every so often inset into the XX, (it is the same on the walls in the washroom). The box for getting to the shower controls is actually in the large overhead wall cabinet so that when we switched to the upgraded shower fixture - I just had to unload that cabinet!

The pantry doors are solid cherry and the entry wall is of that "wallpaper" - which if I were to do it over again - I would have had it solid cherry wood like over the door.

Now back to researching Hydro-Hot versus Oasis Hydronic Heating System!
Carolyn
#75710.
swansnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 09:43 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry W View Post

Terry
Hi just checking to see if you still had the mirrors.
sacombs74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 01:21 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacombs74 View Post
Hi just checking to see if you still had the mirrors.
Yes I still have them and they are yours for the asking. I'm in and out of town until Monday, but if you'd like to PM me I will make arrangements to get them to you.

Terry

Tags
led