Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-06-2010, 05:53 PM   #1

Beware Winegard dish

I had a Winegard slimline hi-def dish installed in place of the dome. It works wonderful, however, there is an extreme rattle or knocking when underway over 40 mph. I have tried everything I can think of and only succeeded in reducing the noise. I have contacted Winegard and they admit to the problem. My suggestion is to mount the dish somewhere other that directly over the front. I am now on my way to have it moved back next to the solar panal. Report to follow in a week.

40' 2004 ALPINE COACH FDTS
chris cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2010, 06:49 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I don't think it's a Winegard problem as I recall MotoSAT dishes having the same problem when mounting in front of the forward AC.

It seems the Alpine front cap design creates air turbulence.

RV satellite installers have posted that is the reason.

Route 66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 07:45 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
It has also been posted here, numerous times over the years.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:54 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
And in the case of non-dome dishes being installed on MH's. The new dish sould be installed aft of the front a/c unit which keeps the airflow above the dish, so it does not want to fly off. You should have it moved to that location, the noise will go away. Make sure you fill the holes on the roof where it was with a good type of approved sealant so you don't then have a roof leak, fiberglass resin would also work, or gelcoat. The place/RV dealer should have known the proper place to install it if you paid to have to work done, if you did it yourself, then reading here first would have been your best bet.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:53 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I wonder if a row (or two) of vortex generators in front of the offending antenna might not help?? Would certainly be less expensive than moving it.
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 10:09 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. Miller View Post
I wonder if a row (or two) of vortex generators in front of the offending antenna might not help?? Would certainly be less expensive than moving it.
... funeee ha hah..!
Old 11-08-2010, 11:22 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by StansCustoms View Post
... funeee ha hah..!
What's so funny about that?
hardlylook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 12:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardlylook View Post
What's so funny about that?

Absolutely nothing...

I was mistaken. I had a vortex generator confused with a science fiction piece of equipment in the Star Wars movies...or something similar. I thought it was intended as a joke......and it struck me as a very funny one. Sorry ...my error.

Actually after your comment..I looked up the vortex generator definition and discovered my mistake.

Actually it is a very good idea!

Best regards..Stan..
Old 11-08-2010, 06:17 PM   #9
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We just took delivery of our new coach, with a factory installed Winegard. It's just forward of center - don't notice any rattles or other noises related to the dish. When in the 'stowed' position the back of the dish is to the front.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 06:32 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Our coach came with a single lnb Winegard which never worked right, and which we replaced with a dual lnb Motosat ...the Winegard was, and the Motosat is, an open face dishes that folds face-down toward the rear for travel. The mounting position is immediately to the rear of the front cap seam. The Winegard had a reputation for being blown around by the wind when up and aimed while parked, but we have noticed no noise at all with EITHER dish, so it must be something about the air flow off the front cap of the Alpine ...that would be interesting to know exactly how the air flows, and what causes the turbulence around the dish.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:39 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by H. Miller View Post
This sounds like an excellent idea. You might just try attaching a piece of aluminum sheet to the antenna to deflect the air. Experiment with different shapes until maybe something works.

Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 12:23 AM   #12

When I had my 2000 Alpine, WRV did mount the Motosat dishes on the front of the coach and yes the dish did rattle in the wind. I did install an aluminum deflector in front of the dish and made no difference. Then I moved the dish in front of the front AC and still made no difference. When I talked to the VP for marketing for Motosat, he said he told WRV to mount the dish behind the front AC. When I moved the dish behind the AC, there was no problem. To me the problem is mounting the dish on the front is the construction of the roof with the 5 inches of insulation with the 1/4 inch plywood and fiberglass. The dish is really only attached to the fiberglass, without any support under it, and is going to rattle in the wind.

On 2007 Apex, WRV still used the same roof contruction, so I did install my Motosat behind the front AC this time.
2007 Apex MDTS (425 hp) #75723
2007 Toyota 4-Runner
2014 Ram Laramie 3500
kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 08:37 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraig View Post
When I had my 2000 Alpine, WRV did mount the Motosat dishes on the front of the coach and yes the dish did rattle in the wind. I did install an aluminum deflector in front of the dish and made no difference. Then I moved the dish in front of the front AC and still made no difference. When I talked to the VP for marketing for Motosat, he said he told WRV to mount the dish behind the front AC. When I moved the dish behind the AC, there was no problem. To me the problem is mounting the dish on the front is the construction of the roof with the 5 inches of insulation with the 1/4 inch plywood and fiberglass. The dish is really only attached to the fiberglass, without any support under it, and is going to rattle in the wind.

On 2007 Apex, WRV still used the same roof contruction, so I did install my Motosat behind the front AC this time.
Good info Craig..

I take it Motosat was factory installed on your 2000 ALpine? I have one on my 2001 ...but was under the impression it was installed my the owner after the fact..

Mine doesn't work and I was planning on using something else..it also rattles. (mounted in front ..right behind the horns.)

Maybe I should reconsider and repair it ??

Stan..
Old 11-09-2010, 08:56 AM   #14

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by StansCustoms View Post
Good info Craig..

I take it Motosat was factory installed on your 2000 ALpine? I have one on my 2001 ...but was under the impression it was installed my the owner after the fact..

Mine doesn't work and I was planning on using something else..it also rattles. (mounted in front ..right behind the horns.)

Maybe I should reconsider and repair it ??

Stan..
We had problem with our MotoSat and was told twice it was outmoded and should be replaced. contacted RV Satellite Systems | Mobile TV Satellites | Motosat, TracStar, Kingdome, KVH | Mobile HD TV
and we got it going again over the phone. Took about 15 minutes and saved 1700 dollars. Dale Morris's service is the real deal.
beagle