Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2011, 11:49 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Bicycle Carrier Type

All - We have a bike carrier which we put on the back of the Jeep when towing, but, it obscures the tail lights of the jeep when going down the road. Jeep says not to put anykind of brackets in the ABS Plastic roof since it's not designed to carry weight. I want to move the bikes to somekind of a mount between the coach and jeep, and know there must be somekind of pass through type. Any help with the thing I'm looking for would be helpful. I realize nothing is perfect, and I want your likes and dislikes of what system you may be using as well please.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2011, 09:35 AM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
We use this bike rack, and it works great: Towing bike Rack
Old 08-19-2011, 09:59 AM   #3

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

You might want to look inio a double receiver...2 receivers stacked about 8 inches apart for you toad and bike rack. Only problem with this set up is you can't carry your bikes to bike trails with your toad. Another alternatve would be to buy portable brake lights and install on the rear of jeep.
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 10:29 AM   #4

Another towing type bike rack.

Danik Industries Ltd - Swagman Bike Racks - Towing 3-Bike Rack - Bike Racks - Camping World
Old 08-19-2011, 10:50 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I look forward to hearing the options too... we are thing to figure out how to carry the girl's 3 bikes without blocking tail lamps as well.

I recently saw a bike rack that mounts to the RV ladder, but only held 2 bikes. I've been thinking about the double hitch idea and wondered if that would put the bikes too close to the front of the car...
TGMarrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 10:37 PM   #6

I have a 2 bike ladder rack I'll send you for nothing if you pay the packing and freight. Used it on our class C for a trip to Alaska and it's less than desirable. You have to be careful so your bikes don't scratch the back of the coach, with the protusions they have. Takes extra bungee cords, but it will work. I use a Sportswerks rack on the back of the toad that the bikes sit in instead of being hung from a carrier. Yakima makes a similar rack today. We like it a lot, but if I wanted to carry it between the toad and the car, this isn't the answer.
Former Owner, 2005 Tioga 31M and Arctic Fox 22GQ
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 11:13 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
The good thing about the rack I mentioned is that you don't have to remove the hitch to remove the rack.
Old 08-20-2011, 12:55 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
OF we don't have a ladder on the coach, so if I understand, it wont work for us. JohnLori's idea might however work. Need to find it and see how it works on the stinger for the MH.
Old 08-20-2011, 01:02 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
If you are worried about tail light obstruction, I would remove the front wheel of each bike then mount the bikes in opposit directions on the rack so there is only one wheel to see through on each tail light..
We like having them on the car if we plan to ride someplace besides around the rv park.
Old 08-20-2011, 04:27 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Hauling the bikes now, each wheel has a groove/basket it sits in so they won't move, so taking the front wheel off won't work currently. Still investigating the options though, thank you for the thought.