Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2013, 12:39 PM   #1

Bin door gas springs

I will be ordering a couple new gas springs for the '06 FDTS from NAPA. They have the exact size, but come in at least four different gas pressures; 60, 75, 95, and 125. I'm thinking that probably either the 60 or 75 are probably correct. Does anyone have any ideas on the subject?
Birddog Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2013, 01:26 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
If there is no info on your existing ones, then you might weight the
bay door when it is up by using a bathroom scale. Do this after
disconnecting the existing gas support. Perhaps this
would provide some guidance. These doors can be quite heavy.
I'm just guessing on this.
Mac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 02:58 PM   #3

You might check with Camping World or another RV dealer for the exact replacement. When I checked at auto parts stores, all they had were ones for hoods or trunk lids that were too strong.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 03:15 PM   #4

The struts were made by SPD. The replacement series is GSNI. Check here. Some of the original gas springs were non standard so you may not find a direct equivalent.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 03:28 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
This might help,
Attwood SpringLift Gas Springs | Back to Boating
I ordered springs from this place. Not the cheapest but they had the pressure I wanted. The last numbers on strut indicate pressure.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:30 PM   #6

Hello all,

Thanks for all the suggestions and general information. I finally found the manufacturer's web site, Columbia Struts -- Columbia Struts: a distributor of standard and special gas springs. They have many, many styles of gas springs and it is actually very easy to identify the pressure of each unit. The part number generally begins with CS, followed by the model number, then a dash followed by the pressure. In the case of our '06 FDTS all gas springs are -90 for a 90 psi charge.

The good news is that the majority of the units are very reasonably priced at an average of around $19.00 each. The not so good news is that the majority of the gas springs on my bin doors are p/n CS2638-90, and there is no listing for these. I haven't cross-checked to see if there is another part number that is the same length and pressure rating, more than likely there will be. The one odd-ball strut on the aft-right bin, where the air filter, dip sticks, etc. are located has a CS2638-90 on the front of the door, and on the rear because the door tapers upward has a shorter unit, a CS1850-90. This shorter strut is available and the price is $12.95.

I went ahead and got the gas springs from NAPA because they had the correct end fittings, and were the correct lengths. NAPA's are considerably more pricey, but I could get them from the local warehouse in only a couple hours and we are departing for the desert in a few days; and I didn't want to wait until we got back home in a couple months. Incidentally, the Columbia Struts are made in Korea and NAPA's in the U.S.; this no doubt figures in the pricing.

BTW, these 90 psi struts are really strong. I do not remember, even the coach was new, that there was nearly that much force behind the gas springs when opening or closing. I'm sure they will bleed down in time; but right now they are definitely doing the job.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:20 PM   #7

The worst thing for a gas strut is heat. I have been know to take mine off during the 115° temps in Phx summers. I have gotten replacements from CW or other RV stores. I take one with me to match up length and buy the ones with the correct pressure.

Old 12-31-2013, 06:50 PM   #8

Slight correction on the number of gas struts required on an '06 FDTS. If you have the Columbia Struts there are:
9 of the longer CS2638-90
7 of the shorter CS1850-90

Again, the reason for the odd number is that the right rear door for the air filter, dip sticks, air shutoff, etc. has one long strut on the forward mount and one short on the rear because the door, of course, tapers towards the rear.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:12 PM   #9

I have several basement doors over my slides that have two stage struts. They open half way (level, below the open slide), but if the slide is in, I can use extra force open them to the same height as a door that is not under a slide. I have a couple that are getting weak. Has anybody found a source for these? I suppose if I can't find any, I can use a regular one and add a removable chain to limit the opening. I don't know the number off hand, but can get it.

Old 01-03-2014, 03:36 PM   #10

The trick of ordering, or shopping for, gas springs is to know your required length and gas pressure. Check this link, Columbia Struts and you will find all the information this manufacturer has on the subject. Columbia Struts were OEM used by WRV on our '06 FDTS. Columbia has a vast selection of gas springs and are definitely reasonably priced, much better pricing than NAPA for instance.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:19 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Strut your stuff is another good/inexpensive source for gas springs. Their on ebay. I paid $35 for 2 90# springs. That price included shipping. 2-3 day delivery.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:56 AM   #12

I found replacements for the original SPD GS-6711 gas spring at Associated Spring Raymond in Maumee, Ohio. They have part number GSNI-6711 that is identical to the original except it has a nitride coated shaft. Not the cheapest, but the correct spec and a high quality part.

Their customer service rep told me this was a non-standard part and isn't in their catalog. They have them in stock though, you just have to call them:

Associated Spring Raymond
370 W. Dussel Drive — Suite A
Maumee, OH 43537–1604
Phone: 419–891–9292
Fax: 419–891–9192
Koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 12:22 PM   #13

Just called them. They do not make what is called "Inter-Stop" springs. These are the ones for a basement door below a slide that only opens half way, but can be lifted all the way, with the slide in, open with extra force and then stay there. No cross-reference chart.

Old 02-19-2014, 03:09 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Rv Upgrades didn't have the 90lb, but Ray,IN was correct in checking ebay. Company called Strut Your Stuff. They had a pair for $23.99 + $10.99 shipping. Best price I could find.

From a previous post of mine. Good luck!

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, gas