Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2014, 03:01 PM   #1

Black Tank Flush

After we returned from our 1st. trip this year I was unable to get the black tank flush to work. It acts just like the water is hitting a one way check valve, preventing any water from entering the tank. I am unable to find the anti siphon/check valve. Does anyone know where it is located on a 2005, 35 ft. Alpine. I have looked high and low and can't find the darn thing. --Tom--
TomJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2014, 03:22 PM   #2

Tom,

There is a vacuum breaker up high somewhere above the sprayer that could have failed, but the biggest culprit is the spray head itself. The small holes in the head get plugged when it gets submerged in the black water. If you can get to the spray head and remove it, the best fix, once it's cleaned up, is to use a drill bit of 3/32 up to 1/8 and open up the holes to lessen the chance of future plugging.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 03:38 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My black flush doesn't like very high water pressure. I now use an inline restrictor when the water pressure is over 50 pounds.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 05:05 PM   #4

These things varied from year to year but the vacuum breaker on my 03 is about 2/3 of the way up/inside the fixed wall between the shower and the kitchen slide. There is an access panel in the back wall of the kitchen cabinet. Dont know if it is for shower head access or the vac-valve--having never tried/needed to access that area. However, am also incline to think its the spray head in the black tank--not sure how to even start to access /clean that spray head.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 06:39 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Vac valve in my 2014 coach was bad straight from the factory. Flooded my floor inside first time I used it. Replaced with basic check valve. Good idea on using the pressure regulator. I'll start doing that too.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:26 AM   #6

Scout has the vac breaker location pinpointed. Mine has a check valve inline just before spray head that can come apart internally & kill flow
It can be disassembled& put back together at least once. Made of brass with pipe thread on each end
The vac breaker usually fails as stated above with water on the floor behind shower & raining down in the utility compartment. I bypassed mine in favor of another online check valve.
Old 05-12-2014, 08:09 AM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
I had something clog the black tank flush from the outside line. Couldn't tell what it was, but insects of some type got into the flush inlet, and flushing it didn't work because no water went through at all- nor did any air when I put air pressure on it.

I pried the old flush end off, and found no check valves or anything else-- although there is, of course, the air break. The flusher was just a small, plastic, cup-shaped (about 1/2" deep) fixture with holes in it. It's also on the drain side of the tank. Now how did it ever flush such a wide tank by pushing against the natural flow?

I removed the end, plugged the opening in the tank, and extended the flush hose to the other side of the tank. I bought a turbo-flush from CW and followed the installation instructions. Now the flush is on the passenger side so it flushes towards the drain. It also extends about three inches into the tank and spins around when water pressure is applied, so that no part of the tank remains unflushed. And it has a check-valve. Works very well now.

John and Lori
2005 Alpine Coach 40FDQS
JohnLori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 11:46 AM   #8

Angry Accessing check valve in black tank

How do I access the check valve and spray head? I have an 05 and it acted like it was plugged and then it worked for a few minutes and now I believe water is running out of check valve.
lwilkins000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 08:56 AM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f104/no-f...ml#post1204143

My original post had pictures in it but the one below didn't include the pictures. So you can go to this site and see where the flush fixture is. It's at the top right in the top picture.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:19 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwilkins000 View Post
How do I access the check valve and spray head? I have an 05 and it acted like it was plugged and then it worked for a few minutes and now I believe water is running out of check valve.
lwilkins000
My black water flush check valve is in the hose connector.
(Technacly speaking it's the spring loaded "3 spoke thingie" in this pic)!

If/when mine sticks/leaks wiggling/moving the spoke part restores the seal.

I know nothing about the "spray head".
Sorry

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank