Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-25-2010, 08:35 PM   #1

Black Tank Flush

Until recently, I didn't fill the black tank with water before dumping it, and never filled it more than half when going through the flush cycles. I just had my input valve to the tank replaced because it was bad, but before that, I ran water into the toilet until the gauge went to the full mark. I really don't know how "full" it is because the gauge can be set with a screwdriver, but I assumed it was pretty full. I had never filled it that far before. When I went to pull the lever to dump, I noticed water dripping from under the coach, and I never witnessed that before. So... I have some questions... 1) Does the tank have an "overflow" such that if it gets to full it leaks out? and 2) would my putting water into the toilet with a hard stream of water from a hose be the cause of a leak and 3) do I have a real problem?

I get to try my new input valve tomorrow (waiting for the sealant to dry) so maybe I'll be able to tell if there is still a leak.

gator67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2010, 09:08 PM   #2

This may have changed with newer models but on the 2003s, the sewer pipe that goes from the toilet to the black tank is crudely cut into the top of the black tank and sealed with what looks like plumber's putty. If you overfill the tank, its likely some "fluids" will get passed the putty seal.

Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 09:25 PM   #3

There have been one or a few cases of the tanks shifting from their structural constraints. If you see leaks from the tank area, you may want to remove the coupla screws that hold that compartment shut (PS, just behind the basement storage) and check out what's leaking. Once the screws are out the panel lifts just like the other basement doors.
Old 03-28-2010, 07:43 PM   #4

I am not sure what you mean by the input valve. I can tell you that when the black tank overfills it backs up through the toilet. If you flush the toilet and you can see water it is full. How are you filling the tank with a hose? If you are filling using the "no-fuss" flush inlet you should always have the dump valve open.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:31 PM   #5

Old Scout,

On my '04 there was also a rubber gasket under all that plumbers putty. It was sealed better than I thought. But I would still not trust it all that much.

EMike,

After the screws fell out a few too many times I had a regular compartment lock installed on that door. And it opens just like the other basement doors IF the other basement doors have broken struts!! A friend of mine installed brackets and struts to that door to help open it and hold it open when desired.

Gator67,

Unless your coach is significantly different than the '04, or the plumbing has been damaged, I doubt putting water down the toilet with a hose would cause a leak. I would suspect you have a problem of some sort. Following EMike's advice above is always a good idea. I once had a ice maker line develop a pinhole leak. Since that line runs through that compartment, maybe that can cause a drip coming from that area. (Better than a tank leak!)

Is there a reason to fill the black tank before dumping??? Mine has probably not been above the 50% mark (on a SeeLevel gauge that I believe to be accurate) yet. I do use the inlet to flush the tank when it is empty, but I have never added water just to aid dumping. Am I missing something? (Not that I am likely to change a 30 year habit at this point, just curious.)
Old 04-04-2010, 09:46 PM   #6

When there are multiple problems, one doesn't always realize it. The black tank valve was fixed and that worked. But, that was unrelated to the water leak. There was water in the utility area under the tanks but it had no odor. The problem turned out to be that where the pipe right below the shower drain connects to the pipe that goes into the grey tank... the connection came loose. So, the water got down there whenever we used the shower. I got them reconnected and all leaks seem to have stopped for now.
gator67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 08:42 PM   #7

I have had the ice maker line leak also. The sewer flush in the service bay leaked also. The anti siphon valve can become clogged and let water leak when the flush is being used. I cleaned mine and secured it tightly in an upright position.
There is no way for the basement floor to dry our and the OSB wood will rot over time. You can feel under coach for soft spots. I had to replace mine. Not much fun but it is better than new.

Richard and Cris is offline   Reply With Quote