Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2005, 07:34 PM   #1

A park in Vegas hooked up a 5er next to me and hooked his water up w/a Y. to where my My black flush happened to be hooked up. Flooded back of my coach and shot out of the vent. Park admits liability and having their ins. contact me. Has anyone had a similar problem? Can the odor be eliminated? Any advise is appreciated. Larry
alpinerver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2005, 07:34 PM   #2

A park in Vegas hooked up a 5er next to me and hooked his water up w/a Y. to where my My black flush happened to be hooked up. Flooded back of my coach and shot out of the vent. Park admits liability and having their ins. contact me. Has anyone had a similar problem? Can the odor be eliminated? Any advise is appreciated. Larry
Old 04-08-2005, 01:36 AM   #3

My advice:
1.) Never leave a black tank flush hose hooked up until you need it; use it, then unscrew it.
2.) Assuming you had carpeting, bedspreads, & lots of other things that got soaked inside, it'll be a real job but lotsa repeat cleaning will be required to get rid of the smell. There are odor masking chemicals, but using them just fools one's nose.
3.) I'm not sure I would let "just anyone" do the cleaning either. Possibly you could try a home restoration company that specializes in cleaning after a fire, flood, or other 'disaster'. Face it, your RV floor & part of the walls got a good soaking. Now they're likely going to be soaked again through repeated cleaning/rinsing. The water damage to luan plywood and flooring would be a key concern to me. That's why I think you'll need professional, well-experienced help.
Old 04-08-2005, 02:02 AM   #4

There are also health issues with black water flooding into the coach. You really need to have all soft material ( carpet, pillows, etc) replaced if they cannot be washed and sanitized.

If this happens in a normal home the insurace company will replace the iteams. Since it is there money try and get everthing replaced. That way nothing will sneak up on you in the future.
Trehcub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 03:41 AM   #5

I don't understand what and how that happend, can you explain it better to a dummy????
Old 04-08-2005, 04:17 AM   #6

alpinerver:

That's just awful! My condolences!

I don't have any advice for you. But thanks for posting so that some of us realize what can happen when a black tank flush hose is connected - that it is possible to overflow the black tank.

It's also kind of shocking that someone would mess with your coach connections - but I guess things like that happen occasionally.

Thanks for the education!

Lana - I think that the person who connected the Y started water running through alpinerver's black tank flush hose, and since the black tank valve was closed, the black tank flooded and overflowed into the coach - eeewwww!

Audrey
Old 04-08-2005, 05:53 AM   #7

Hook-up area has a double faucet, Connection next door got broken off so attendant at RV park put a Y on one side of my riser so they could hook up a Alpenlite next door, The Y was put on the spigot that had my grey hose for black tank flush hooked up (was turned off). Looking back would be a good idea to disconnect flush hose for something like this happening or vandalism. Probably will give Ins. Co a chance to fix with condition that unit be heated up to around 100 degrees after work done. If it's going to stink that should be a good test, Or else Ins.Co is going to buy a coach. Any legal actions I may have to initiate will have to be against the RV park.
coach is a 2005 MDTS. Thanks for responses. Larry Larry
Old 04-08-2005, 09:22 AM   #8

1) I agree mostly w/the 1st reply, hook up, but keep your valves off except when dumping. Tanks flush better w/some volume in them, & you avoid critters 'n stuff ascending the pipes.
2) You are in Vegas, so get yourself a suite @ Bellagio while the repairs are underway. They have some nice ones w/a personal butler for $7,500/nite. And order dinner on the room to avoid further stress too.
3) I would call a restoration outfit. Rip up & chuck the carpet. Operate the slides several times while cleaning; that stuff may have wicked around into seals. The restoration folks will have the requisite sanitation equip & cleaners. Might want to leave a contingency open in the insurance settlement for corrosion (sewage is both saline & acidic and will react well w/steel & aluminum).
Good luck.
Old 04-09-2005, 05:02 PM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Never leave a black tank flush hose hooked up until you need it; use it, then unscrew it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

WalMart sells Nelson Brass Hose quick-connectors. I really like being able to just pop on and pop off the black tank flush hose. I also found that the hose connected to the city water supply needs a 90 degree elbow to help prevent the hose from crimping. The clearance for the hose is better with the elbow when the bay door is closed.

Cummins 330
Have Alpine will travel. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 06:09 AM   #10

Question just for curiousity, where did the black water come into the coach, from the toilet or from a vent pipe or other? Can only imagine the grief this has caused hope that every thing gets squared away the way you want it.
doug ABQ is offline   Reply With Quote