Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:04 AM   #1
Black Water Holding Tank / Bad Seam Crack

I have a 2005 34ft Alpine that has developed a bad leak in the black water holding tank for the second time. I repaired it two years ago and at the time I debated on getting a new one. The Leak is in the inside seam at the three way transition of the tank. Bad spot to fix. I used ABS cement and a rubber patch. It lasted two years. I do not recommend this due to the work required to remove tank which includes removal of toilet,toilet ring,hatch door,door frame, drain valves, drain connections,air vent and other hoses etc.

Does any one have the original manufactures name, phone number, web site or other info on tank. Looking to purchase a new one before taking this one out.

Thanks /

Leadbouncer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2012, 11:56 AM   #2
Location: Summer Rowlett TX (Why?)/Winter Palm Springs CA Two Springs RV Resort http://www.twospringsrv.com/
Aubrey's RV bought a lot of WRV parts at auction and they have holding tanks, hopefully the one you need. A listing is shown on the ACA website. http://alpinecoachassociation.com/info/Aubreys.pdf
Call Carolyn 509-453-4709

Hope you resolve this crappy problem.

Basil & Sue Shannon
Former Apex owner (Gary & Renee have it now)
Was Traveling Circus (2 clowns/Sage the Wonder Dog) Tent rotted. Circus folded.
Basil Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:03 PM   #3
Just a Tip for Holding tank cleaning, to help get out solids and restore senser function, i put in 3-4 gal water, senser cleaner and a bag of Cruched Ice. took the trailer for spin and dumped the tank, worked great
kekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:55 PM   #4
For poly type tanks, better to use a glue formulated for the tank material. Marinetex makes Flex Set which is labelled to bond PVC, ABS, Starboard, polyethylene, Hypalon, polyurethane, glass, metal, acrylic, fiberglass, polycarbonate, wood & dissimilar materials, as well as resist vibration, bending & shock. Its a two part epoxy formulation. I've used it to repair poly water tank leaks with good success.

I can imagine the PITA of hauling out the tank, but repair again may be the best option. IIWMI'd cut an access hole in the top of the tank to patch it from both the inside & outside (then patch the access closed obviously). I'd also reinforce the leak with a patch, probably one inside & one outside due to the overhead of the task, tho I don't have a recommendation of material for the patch.
Baja-tested '08 2-slide 36'
Alpine: The Ultimate DIY'er Project
EngineerMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 12:48 AM   #5
Alpine Owners Club
FWIW - When WRV built our coach, they put some metal brackets (which hold the inveter in place and the surge guard unit), and those bolts were rubbing on the tanks. I took some vacumn port boots (old carbuator guys know what I'm talking about)(NAPA has a set of them) and glued those boots over the ends of the bolts which were rubbing on my tank. I do inspect them and pulll out that bracket periodically to keep them from rubbing even they are covered. I suspect others have this problem if you have 40 MDTS coach model and WRV installed your inverte/surge guard like ours. Tightening the screws helped keep the bracket in place longer, but over time it still wants to move toward the center of coach and those bolts want to rub.
Monty & Janet - 2007 Alpine APEX 40 MDTS
S/N - 75715 - Retired - Master Certified RV Tech
Old Rv'er is offline   Reply With Quote

tank, water