Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-05-2010, 11:12 PM   #1

Location: Summer Rowlett TX (Why?)/Winter Palm Springs CA Two Springs RV Resort http://www.twospringsrv.com/
Blow out!!!

Greetings from Eloy,Arizona,

Today we headed east from Palm Springs heading for Texas. We got as far as Indio and had a blowout of the right front tire. Thank God for Gary Jones & the Peak Chassis. The tire immediately left the rim and we had no trouble handling the coach riding on the rim except the braking power was noticeable less. This I attributed to the rim skidding on the pavement, ie 25% less grip on the road when the brakes are applied. Kind of like a tire skidding on ice which activates the ABS?

We had fiberglass damage, mostly limited to the lower part of the wheel opening and the door to the hydraulic compartment. Not bad under the circumstances. Air bag, brake line, etc ok.

Since an aluminum rim was not available, we put a new tire on a steel rim and mounted it. Looks like Hell but we can recover later.

I do have one residual problem. I have an ABS light I have not been able to make go away. The wiring seems ok and the sensor is firmly in place. Any ideas? I reset DC power but this did not help.

Basil Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2010, 11:49 PM   #2

First of all, I'm glad you, Sue, and your coach are okay. I had a blow-out on the right, front tire on my previous 2001 Alpine Coach, so I know what you mean by "Thank God for Gary Jones & the Peak Chassis." I agree with that statement completely, since my coach came to a straight and level stop, with no structural damage, after traveling at 70 mph pulling a Jeep Grand Cherokee. However, the fiberglass and cosmetic damage did add up to just over $5K. Since my wife was sitting in the navigator's chair, she felt like the steel belts of the tire were about to come through her chair, but they didn't, thanks to the Gary Jones design. She did see pieces of the tire fly into the air and break the passenger side rear-view mirror.

What brand tire? How many miles on it? What caused the blow-out? Any clue about tire pressure and/or temperature or weight load on that axle/tire?

Dale777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 07:36 AM   #3

Location: Summer Rowlett TX (Why?)/Winter Palm Springs CA Two Springs RV Resort http://www.twospringsrv.com/
It wa a Goodyear with 50,000 miles on it. Tread fair. Since we are heavy, we run at 120 PSI in the front which is what the Smart-Tire had been reading. It was cool outside so I don't think temperature was a problem. Probably a sidewall failure. We are carrying less stuff than the last time I had it weighed:

ACTUAL WEIGHT AT REDLANDS TRUCK & RV
AXEL EVALUATION
POSITION WEIGHT CAPACITY DIFFERENTIAL
LEFT FRONT 6500 65000 0
RIGHT FRONT 6500 65000 0

TIRE EVALUATION
PER TIRE TIRE CAPACITY DIFFERENTIAL PRESSURE
6500 7580 -1080 -14% 120

As you can see, we are at max for the front axel but have plenty of tire capacity left.

The 40' quad slide maxed out the Peak Chassis and really needed a tag axel. And, of course, we added every option we could load on the thing. We are overweight in the rear but not bad. I have talked to a number of full time 40' quad slide owners who say they are overweight.

If you have not done so, I suggest you have your coach weighed. Might suprise you.
Old 02-06-2010, 08:41 AM   #4

Basil, Glad to hear everyone is OK. I weighed my 2005 40FDQS. My front left is at max. I weighed mine with driver and passenger in their seats. I replaced my original Toyos with G670 at 24,000. I now have 48,000 on the coach. They seem to be wearing good but I wont be as at ease as I have been.

What was your smart tire reading after the tires warmed up. Did you get a temperature alert? On a hot day my tires will run from 10-15 PSI higher than when cold.
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 08:59 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Glad you are OK and kudo's to you for keeping cool and good driving skill.

I'm curious....I've seen the Michelin video where they tell you to accelerate briefly for a front blowout, resisting the more natural urge to brake. Wondering if you did that.

Other than hearing about the outstanding handling characteristics of the chassis under Alpine coaches, what is unique about the front suspension....is it IFS or straight axle? Is there a steering stablizer?

I've added a Safe-T-Steer stabilizer to my Freightliner in the hopes that it would help keep the coach straight in the unfortunate event of a front tire failure.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 10:57 AM   #6

ABS light

Glad to hear you are both safe. Regarding the ABS light, we had a similar problem in 2008 - the light would not turn off. Cummins Care cleaned off debris and reset the sensors; this solved the problem. Curious if you had SteerSafe stabilizing devise installed on your coach? What was the age of your tires (date of manufacture)?
Vic & Willy
2005 FDTS Limited
2009 Jeep Wrangler Toad
Old 02-06-2010, 12:55 PM   #7

Basil-
1) the rotor has a ring of radial topography, sort of like raised bar code, that the sensor reads. You probably have some Goodyear stuck in the bar code. You could probably knock it off w/a blast of compressed air, but would need to attack it from under the coach spraying out toward the inside-center of the rotor; much easier for the tire shop once the wheel is off.
2) what was the age of the tire? What pressure were you running cold, over the road? Do you check your tires by hand for warm spots when you pull off for gas (e.g. I periodically take the infrared gun to the casing where it meets the tread all around on all 4 corners (I omit the inner duals cuz I'm a lazy punk))?
3) you obviously shouldn't have talked about your tires at Quartzite.
4) You mentioned Sue was somewhat discomfited. Were you the usual matter-of-fact fountain of jocularity we all know thru the entire deceleration phase?
5) have you checked the steering gear bracket after the incident?

Smith Mountain: Alpines have a raised rail chassis with solid front axle, oversized air bags, and a beefy anti-sway bar, along w/modestly oversized power steering gear. One of the major design features is a 40/60 split in design (as opposed to owner redistributed) weight between front/rear, vs more like 30/70 for most coaches. Another fun fact is that they have always carried better rated tires than axles.
Old 02-06-2010, 10:46 PM   #8

Basil,
Good to hear you and Sue are o.k. When we were shopping for a coach, I was impressed with the Peak chassis for it's Huck bolting, Vansco multiplexing system and the steel wheel liners, so I am curious if if the steel liner helped minimize body damage. Some of the other chassis I reviewed did not have liners or if they did, the liner was not steel.
Also, if you need any assistance, we are up the road in Casa Grande.
BTF
05 40FDQS
Old 02-07-2010, 10:07 AM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Basil,

Sorry to hear of your blow out but very glad to know you and Sue are OK. Scary stuff to say the least.

Jim & Ingrid

Brandywine
Jim & Ingrid McIntosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 03:12 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Blow Out

Ditto-- I'm glad that all's well.
Has anyone experienced a rear tire blow out? My guess is that one would not experience the loss of control or damage to the MH with a rear tire blow out..
Operators of eighteen wheelers and other commercial trucks are not allowed to use recaps on steer tires but use recaps on drive axles and trailer axles. Using the same logic how about owners of MHs placing the best tires on front and others on the rear. Carefully maintain advised MH weights, speed, age, mileage and pressure on the front tires so as to not have a front tire blow out. Purchase tires gradually as opposed to six at a time. Just my .02.
Milt
Old 02-08-2010, 02:36 PM   #11

Greetings from West Columbia, the first capitol of Texas, THE COUNTRY,

More details:

THE BLOWOUT
This blowout was not the usual where the tread & steel belt stay on the rim and beats the heck out of the wheel well and the fiberglass. We heard a loud bang, maybe a “whump” or two and in a split second we were riding on the rim. The guy behind me said the tire came off intact and flew off into the ditch. This minimized damage to the fiberglass to the bottom foot or so. Minimal damage to the bottom of the hydraulic compartment door. Damage in the steel wheel well limited to a few small dings in the paint which may have already been there. (Read below about our experience in a SOB). No damage to the air bag (EXPOSED), brake line or ABS wiring.

We did not follow the guidelines in the Michelin video and accelerate. No need as the coach was tracking straight with little or no pull either way. I attribute this to riding on the rim instead of a wildly flailing steel belt plus, hey, it’s an Alpine!. I sailed past some poor slob in a car on the side of the road who probably thought he was going to die. Braking was very difficult with the rim skidding on the road and only 3 tires gripping the road.

Aluminum rim is toast. Have a temporary steel one which is ugly.

BLOWOUT ON A SOB COACH (COMPARE)
We had a driver’s side blowout on our ’96 Beaver. Sue did a great job keeping control and getting us off to the side of the road. The tread & steel belt literally wadded up the heavy plastic wheel well liner in the back of the wheel well. It tore off the fuel fill hose and we spilled 25 gallons of diesel down the highway and into the ditch. It took out the airbag. The steel belt beat against the now exposed propane tank and polished it smooth. Thank God the propane hoses were protected. We could have gone up in a fireball. Mucho fiberglass damage. That coach always drove like a pig, tracking in the truck ruts which was a common Beaver problem back then I understand.

THE TIRE
It was a Goodyear with 50,192 miles on it. It was long gone but I see the remaining tires were built in the 15th week (April) 2005, or almost 5 years old. I do not like to run tires longer than 5 years and would probably be replacing them this year anyway. We cover the tires when parked for extended periods to minimize sun damage.

SMART-TIRE
We got no Smart-Tire alarms. We air the front tires to 120 PSI cold and the Smart-Tire reads pretty accurately typically, we see the pressure go up 10-15 PSI as we travel. We were only 20 miles from home in Palm Springs on a cool day so temperature buildup could not have been an issue. I suspect a sidewall failure.

ON ROAD TEMPERATURE CHECKS
In hot weather, I will usually walk around the coach checking each outside tire with my hand and I watch the temp on the Smart-Tire. In cold weather, I do neither.

SAFE-T-STEER
I have never felt the need to install a Safe-T-Steer stabilizer on my coach which historically was designed to handle like Ron Doyle’s BMW. Convince me. I will start a new thread on this subject.

STEERING BRACKET
Inspected. Looks ok.
Old 02-08-2010, 03:36 PM   #12

Outstanding forensic report. Now we await only the DNA evidence.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:21 PM   #13

Basil,
Thanks for the followup.
BTF
05 40FDQS
Old 02-09-2010, 09:59 PM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
Basil and Sue,

Glad you are safe. I would guess that the tire picked up a chunk of debris and had a catastrophic failure, since you had no warning from the Smart Tire. IMHO age was not a factor, it was a Goodyear, not a 3rd world country product.

We have real steel in our wheel wells. We had a friends wife get pelted with chunks of rubber and steel when they lost a passenger front tire. It tore a hole in the floor big enough to put your foot through. She remembers it well.