Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-19-2010, 05:06 PM   #1

Blowing Slide Toppers

When the winds are high we bring the big slide in, but it would be more convenient if we could somehow secure it. Has anyone "tied down" their slide topper to keep it from billowing all the way out? What technique have you used and what success did you achieve?

gator67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2010, 05:15 PM   #2
KIX

It sounds like you don't have enough tension on the topper roller. Go online to the topper manufacturer's site and find the directions on how to increase the tension.

KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 05:51 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi gator67,
I wish the fix was as easy as KIX posted. I've put the correct tension and then some on my toppers. The main topper continues to make noise when the winds a up or gusting. There are after market devices to place under the topper, but they do not work for me. I am never in one place long enough to put up with the set up and tear down of these devices.

The bottom line is I just put up with the problem. The wind must be really bad before I will bring in the slide.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 08:36 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to deadeye916
I did not purchase these myself for a variety of reasons but they might be just what your looking for so here's a link:

RV AirWedge

I have seen coaches with cargo straps and rope wrapped all the way around the slideout. While not an elegant solution I suspect it does the job.

Me, I just pull the slides in when the wind gets above 30 mph.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:55 PM   #5

I'm parked at Havasu RV Resort where Tom Ronne has his 07 on lot 64,

He ran a piece of nylon twine over the top of each slide and down around under the slide at about the middle of the slide's width (about 10-12" from the ext. wall of the coach), and tied it under the slide to pull slightly on the free edges of the topper. This makes a drain channel @ each end of the topper if level, and limits topper "chatter" pretty nicely. He weathered the heavy winds and rain here in western AZ w/out pulling the slides in. I think I'll do this in the future when threatened w/heavy wind and/or rain.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:24 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerMike View Post
I'm parked at Havasu RV Resort where Tom Ronne has his 07 on lot 64,

He ran a piece of nylon twine over the top of each slide and down around under the slide at about the middle of the slide's width (about 10-12" from the ext. wall of the coach), and tied it under the slide to pull slightly on the free edges of the topper. This makes a drain channel @ each end of the topper if level, and limits topper "chatter" pretty nicely. He weathered the heavy winds and rain here in western AZ w/out pulling the slides in. I think I'll do this in the future when threatened w/heavy wind and/or rain.

Instead of tying the cord ends together Tom tied a small bungie cord between the cord ends under the slide out. The bungie keeps a constant tension on the topper and reduces the toppers flapping in the winds..

Harold

NorCal C&H is offline   Reply With Quote