Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-05-2013, 01:48 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Blown A/C line

WRV routed the dash A/C lines within 3/4" from the Turbo charger connection to the engine block, on my coach. After 4 seasons of use, I lost all 134a charge. The heat from the turbo baked the hose rubber until it burst. Here's the problem: This line is tie-wrapped in a large bundle of other hoses from engine to front of coach. My idea was to cut the damaged section out and have a local shop make me a new section to crimp in. No problem they said. However, the manufacturer of the hose - Parker, doesn't sell the hose to anyone but the OEM. Last time I checked, no one was answering the phone at WRV. Hose and fitting distributors can't get it or the fittings.

So I have two choices: install a whole new line front to back with available product, or find some source for Parker Futura A/C hose and fittings to repair the section. Has anyone run into this before?

There is no way that one could get the old hose out. It's tie-wrapped every few inches and runs over all the tanks. Only solution would be to abandon the old line and attempt to pull a new line through the frame. Again, anybody ever attempted running new lines front to back?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1975.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	40157   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1976.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	40158  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1980.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	246.6 KB
ID:	40159  

Cinequip is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2013, 01:58 PM   #2

Scott, I understand your situation.

Hose ends and bulk hose are available at real auto parts stores like Napa or Carquest. You buy the hose by the foot. I do not know if the discount stores sell ends. You do not need to buy "Parker" brand...Other brands will interchange.

4 seasons makes any type end you could possibly need.

eCatalog
go to their E catalog
then to "products"
then to "part # tab"
then on left is a pull down with fittings

I can not tell which hose is damaged. I do see the sizes...which are #10(1/2") and #8 (13/32")

Can you get to a good portion of hose(that comes from the front, install a new hose end to it. Them make up a new hose for the engine bay(rerouting it of course). The new hose will have an end that would then connect to your existing front hose?

Putting a hose end on a hose properly does require a special crimping tool. So you would either have to buy a crimping tool or find a local AC shop that could crimp the new fitting to the "in coach" hose.

I know what your going through..I just did a revamp of all the garbage installation Monaco had done to mine

Are you by chance in the St Louis area? I have a crimper

Old 06-05-2013, 02:23 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
SC,

I appreciate your response. The problem is the Parker OEM hose is a unique outside O.D. I could certainly use another product for the repair piece, but success still hinges on getting the OEM fitting for remaining Parker hose. I have a local Parker dealer who can do the repair, but even he cannot source the OEM product used on this coach.

The longer this goes on, the more it seems replacing the whole line is becoming the best course. Using commonly available hose and fittings means future repairs to this line won't have the same headache. I've just been trying to avoid stringing a new line front to back.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:29 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
I agree with sc3283, I don't know why you'd need the same hose brand. If a local auto parts place can't make the line, try a heavy equipment shop that deals with hydraulic lines, they can make one for you.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 02:32 PM   #5

cine, measure the outside of your damaged hose...I will grab my calipers and measure mine..I'd bet they are the same OD
Old 06-05-2013, 02:36 PM   #6

#8 has a .950" OD
#10 has a 1.350" OD
Old 06-05-2013, 02:37 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
I'd pull out what you've got and take it to a hydraulic hose shop. If you don't know of one, call a tractor/skid-steer repair facility and they'll refer you. Additionally automotive AC shops - those that just do AC - if you can find one will be able to solve this problem.

If the hose needs to be routed close to the turbo, I used some header-wrap like material with a reflective barrier on it in similar circumstances. No problems for years.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:41 PM   #8

the large local hydraulic shop here won't do AC hoses due to the crimping die being a different configuration as compared to AC hose crimps. I do not know if this is fact or fiction as I have not ever dealt with hydro hoses. That is why I bought the crimping tool
Old 06-05-2013, 03:00 PM   #9

Cine, I stand corrected based on internet information....according to parker online your hoses do have a smaller OD than mine....learn something new every day!!!

BHK08 shows an OD of .906"
BHK10 shows an OD of 1.00"

if the above is true, they don't give much for abrasion resistance.
Old 06-05-2013, 05:33 PM   #10

I vote for replacing the line front to back--sounds like finding a replacement OEM hose is just too tough. Over the years, I have abandoned and replace 3 or 4 HWH hoses--appreciate that the ac hose is a bit larger dia. The bulkhead between the engine and basement comparts isnt too bad -- good size hole in the bulkhead filled with foam. The front bulkhead is a bit harder--difficult to get access to the opening because of both the water tank and the fuel tank. It might be a pain but might consider dropping the water tank--its extra work but the additional access might make getting the new hose thru the bulkhead easier.
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:57 PM   #11

Since the compressor has been opened & you need to vacuum the system anyway, IIWMI'd undo the other hose at the compressor & reposition it to miss the heavy heat & install a new jumper hose from its end to the compressor. The short hose should be an easy local acquisition. Either that or replace two hoses while Ur in the neighborhood.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:40 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Cinequip,

I just Googled and found the Parker Futura hose, by the foot, at Automotive Air Conditioning Hose || TechChoice Parts This web page has links to both the #8 and #10 hose. They also have Fittings but I don't know which of them may fit this Parker hose. Calling them is probably the best bet.

Cheers,

2004 Alpine 34 FDDS
Mike & Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:06 PM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Mike,

Thanks for link! Hose says 'special order', so I'm calling to see what the minimum order will be.

Hey, be sure to email or call me when you make it up to Portland. Weather is beautiful this time of year!
Old 06-10-2013, 06:30 PM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
Hi Scott,

I tried Googling the Parker Hose number shown on that first link (FH1000B) and come up with more links:
FH1000B Parker OEM #10 A/C Barrier Hose 50ft Roll, AC Bulk Hose
Fittings : Bulk A/C Hose - FH1000B

A search for "Parker 10BHK" adds:
Fittings : Bulk A/C Hose - FH1000B

We're going to be in the Eugene area as follows:
August 4-7: Alpine NorCal (FMCA) Pre-Rally
August 7-11: Armitage County Park in Eugene
August 12-16: Amazing Creations in Junction City.

We will make at least one day-trip up towards Portland to take a look at one retirement community.

So, feel free to give us a holler too if you're going to be out and about.

We hope to see you!

2004 Alpine 34 FDDS
Mike & Mike is offline   Reply With Quote