Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-12-2016, 01:25 PM   #1

Blown fuse

10 amp chassis fuse (ing/alt/air pump) blows.
40' alpine limited coach with 400 cummins engine.
Problem was noticed when chassis batteries (2) discharged. Charged the batteries. 2 days later, volts dropped from approx. 12.6 to 8.9. I removed the batteries and them to interstate in Clovis ca. Batteries kept overnight (charged and load tested). Batteries good. Replaced batteries in coach and drove back to Clovis (approx 17 miles) to dump holding tanks. Upon returning I checked battery voltage which read 15.44. Alternator was hot, wrench would magnetize to alt.. With limited knowledge, I replaced alt. wrench still magnetizes to alt. using a multimeter, alt. charging batteries properly. To stop battery discharge, I disconnected positive and negative cables from the chassis batteries because the chassis disconnect was not shutting down the vansco system. Checking chassis fuses and found 2 10 amp fuses blown. The ing-alt/air tank fuse continues to blow.
Five and half hours at camping world in Fresno ca.. They replaced the chassis disconnect I requested them to change the battery bay selinoid also. They stated they could not locate the short and needed a electrical schematic to continue.
Anther five hours at a truck shop could not locate the short w/o a schematic.
I traveled approx. 140 miles to king city, ca. Arriving late, I decided to park near the truck stop. Upon starting the generator, it would low idle and die. Same on the second try. Third attempt, all dash lights went out. Turned ignition off back, then on again, dash lights on, restarted engine and continued on to the campground. After three days without starting the engine, the batteries are remaining charged.
Question: where can I get a 12v schematic diagram for my coach?
I'm driving north from central California to Oregon. Anyone to recommend a good shop that services alpine coaches to solve the fuse problem.
Any suggestions for correction of problem is appreciated.

tery bay selinoid. They could not trace down the apparent short causing the fuse to one . Another five hours at a

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2016, 02:15 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
You can find most any reference documentation for an Alpine Coach at the following website:

Alpine Coach Association

Also, I don't believe you mentioned the year of your coach which is very important when requesting help. Suggest you setup a signature in your iRV2 profile with coach information so that your posts automatically provide your coach specifics for reference.

bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 08:40 PM   #3

Blown fuse

It is a 2005 Alpine.
Old 08-12-2016, 10:00 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by granpa View Post
10 amp chassis fuse (ing/alt/air pump) blows.

40' alpine limited coach with 400 cummins engine.

Problem was noticed when chassis batteries (2) discharged. Charged the batteries. 2 days later, volts dropped from approx. 12.6 to 8.9. I removed the batteries and them to interstate in Clovis ca. Batteries kept overnight (charged and load tested). Batteries good. Replaced batteries in coach and drove back to Clovis (approx 17 miles) to dump holding tanks. Upon returning I checked battery voltage which read 15.44. Alternator was hot, wrench would magnetize to alt.. With limited knowledge, I replaced alt. wrench still magnetizes to alt. using a multimeter, alt. charging batteries properly. To stop battery discharge, I disconnected positive and negative cables from the chassis batteries because the chassis disconnect was not shutting down the vansco system. Checking chassis fuses and found 2 10 amp fuses blown. The ing-alt/air tank fuse continues to blow.

Five and half hours at camping world in Fresno ca.. They replaced the chassis disconnect I requested them to change the battery bay selinoid also. They stated they could not locate the short and needed a electrical schematic to continue.

Anther five hours at a truck shop could not locate the short w/o a schematic.

I traveled approx. 140 miles to king city, ca. Arriving late, I decided to park near the truck stop. Upon starting the generator, it would low idle and die. Same on the second try. Third attempt, all dash lights went out. Turned ignition off back, then on again, dash lights on, restarted engine and continued on to the campground. After three days without starting the engine, the batteries are remaining charged.

Question: where can I get a 12v schematic diagram for my coach?

I'm driving north from central California to Oregon. Anyone to recommend a good shop that services alpine coaches to solve the fuse problem.

Any suggestions for correction of problem is appreciated.

tery bay selinoid. They could not trace down the apparent short causing the fuse to one . Another five hours at a

It sounds like you have several issues.

It is good you replaced the chassis disconnect since it was not working. You need to determine why your chassis batteries are discharging in 2 days, that is not normal. By battery bay solenoid I assume you mean the solenoid that is used for emergency cross connect of the battery banks, if that was bad you would either continually connect the banks or never be able to connect them together.

The 15.44 v from the alternator sounds high, 14.8 is more like what you should see.

You can stop discharge by disconnecting just the negative lead of the battery banks, it is safer.

Do you have a Xantrex inverter? If the XAGS is set to "automatic generator start" you will see those symptoms. Change the setting to "manual start". If you still have the Onan inverter this does not apply.

I would look for a bad ground, loose or corroded. Take them apart, clean and tighten them.
DrDaveMA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 11:49 PM   #5

Grandpa- If I'm around when Ur heading thru Sacramento you can get a chassis schematic from me. It's a 2005 schematic which is still close for my 2008 but should be spot on foundation yours, and I have a doc I've been working on with wire circuit nomenclature. 916 240 2141
Schematic has the fuse block on it showing how those fuses are powered and how they wire out to their respective circuits

Tags
fuse