Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2007, 10:42 AM   #29

This is handy to know about the emergency fix. It so happens that we had an appt at Cummins today so left it in their hands to fix. (Thank goodness) - I usually like to carry some emergency stuff - could probably pack all the bins with that instead of the fun stuff if I got on a roll --- LOL --- thanks for the advice.

2001 Jeep Wrangler
Virginia is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2007, 06:53 AM   #30

Has anyone of us replaced these hoses ourselves. If so what kind of a job is it? 2nd, like Bob, I deal in hydraulic equipment and have hydraulic hoses made for 10,000 PSI and higher and just don't have a problem. We also sell rotary unions which would take hoses around corners if neccasary. I don't think that would be required. I would like to have hoses made and ready to put on. Cost I doubt would be very substantial. I would just go ahead and have them put on for piece of mind. This hose issue is ridiculous, regardless of who is at fault. It is easily correctable. All we need are the physical dimensions and the hose fitting types and sizes.
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 10:57 AM   #31

I'll bet you could sell enough of these retrofit hose to make it worth your while!
Old 06-28-2007, 02:10 PM   #32

I'm up for it.

Ted, are these hoses SS braided?
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 05:18 PM   #33

Bob, The hoses we get are not. Certainly my supplier can produce anything we would want.
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 12:47 AM   #34

Hi Ted,

In reality, exterior braiding is as much for abrasion resistance as it is for pressure rating. The real strength of a good hose is provided by the multiple linings and intrinsic braiding. A hose rated for 10,000 PSI should provide many years of service on the relatively low pressure our Coaches employ.

Quality fittings are every bit as important as the hose material.
Old 06-29-2007, 02:40 AM   #35

Having recently replaced a rear hydraulic hose, two other hoses that it damaged from flailing around, a parking brake assembly that was saturated with fluid and damage to the rear of the coach done by the dealer (due to the parking brake) I would buy and install a complete set of aircraft grade hoses if they were available as a retro kit. Even though all was covered by warranty the loss of two months of quality driving time was a pain. I think there is a business opportunity for some enterprising Alpine owner.
jerry and toni smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 02:51 AM   #36

Considering we buy expensive vehicle insurance to protect us for something we hope won't happen, buying good hoses to preclude something that we know will happen seems like "Stump Science" to me.

Heck, I'd pay good money for good hoses so I don't get "hosed" for an On-the-road repair.
Old 06-29-2007, 10:57 AM   #37

The last post by Stretch gave me a chill. This was the first I've read about hydraulic hose failure in a 40'. All the other failures seemed to be heat related. Has anyone else out there had the kind of problem like Stretch?
Thanks,

40' 2004 ALPINE COACH FDTS
chris cross is offline   Reply With Quote