Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-25-2015, 09:38 PM   #1

Brake and Power steering Hydraulic question

Went to test drive an Alpine 36SDS today and had a couple of interesting problems:

The first was an intermittent growling sound when the steering wheel was turned, it happened occasionally during deliberate turns. Power steering pump going out or maybe just low on fluid?

The second was of much more concern:

With the coach fully stopped and the brake pedal depressed, the steering wheel could not be turned, and the "check brakes" caution light on the dash illuminated. The sales rep had driven it from the show lot to a parking lot. After I discovered the above, I terminated the test drive. I'm trying to figure out if the power steering and brake hydraulics are interconnected.

Any ideas?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2015, 11:12 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
First if you want accurate info please include the year. Second the issue with the noise from the steering wheel is most likely resolved with a little grease (search the topic on this forum).

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Dave, Bobbi and Fenway

DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 07:06 AM   #3

Lots of info on this fourm about minor growling on the steering knuckle--none are serious issues. Yes, the hydraulic system for the brakes, engine fan, and steering are combined. Also has a 12v aux pump motor for brakes when engine is off--this motor makes some noise too..... Could be that the engine hydraulic system fluid/filters need to be changed.....
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 07:16 AM   #4

Agree with Old Scout. Check fluid level first-- large round black canister on passenger's side of engine compartment (at least on 2003 model).

If OK and you would be interested in the coach if this were not an issue, I would recommend you suggest that the dealer change the three filters in the hydraulic reservoir. Have him save the filters for your to inspect so you know they had just not been changes as they should, but not metal or other signs of failure.

Brett
2003 Alpine 38'
Old 07-26-2015, 08:28 AM   #5

Quote:
First if you want accurate info please include the year. Second the issue with the noise from the steering wheel is most likely resolved with a little grease
Good call Dave, year is a 1999 Alpine 36SDS. I'll look up the steering noise greasing issue.

Old Scout, and Wolfe 10;

I wouldn't have thought that the brake system was involved with the same Hydraulic system as the steering. I come from a Helicopter background and flight control hydraulics are not connected to the brakes. I guess I learned something new. (and I have to change my point of reference LOL)

Thanks for the info, I'll pass it along to the dealer.

I did like the coach, wife loved the kitchen and bath, so it's high on the list. It has generally been well cared for.
Old 07-26-2015, 09:20 AM   #6

I still have one very specific question;

Condition: A properly operating brake and steering system, fluid level at the correct level, and filters working correctly.

Should I be able to turn the steering wheel with the coach stopped and the brake pedal depressed and brakes firmly applied?

Thanks
Keith
Old 07-26-2015, 05:34 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
You should be able to turn the steering wheel under those conditions. It may be difficult but doable. Not recommended however, especially on concrete or asphalt. Turning the wheel while stationary can put undue stress on the steering box. Moving slowly, even very slowly will prevent the stress. If turning the wheel is difficult, try giving the engine a little throttle.
Old 07-26-2015, 05:50 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Mrs Duet View Post
Went to test drive an Alpine 36SDS today and had a couple of interesting problems:

The first was an intermittent growling sound when the steering wheel was turned, it happened occasionally during deliberate turns. Power steering pump going out or maybe just low on fluid?
original text truncated to save bandwidth:

IF, the engine is running they are.. Some folks comment on a noise the brakes make when engine is off (electric booster pump) but if the engine is running the power steering pump provides both power to assist steering AND to assist braking on hydro boost systems.

So you did a very good job of thinking, Also I would have terminated the test drive and turned the RV over to the salesman when the Brake system warning light came on as well.. If not before.. No matter how much he assured me.

You did good sir. Be proud.
Old 07-26-2015, 08:09 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
With most vehicles when you are completely stopped and have applied the brakes it is very difficult to turn the steering wheel. The tires need to rotate very little one forward and one to the rear. If you release the pressure on the pedal they will turn much easier and not drag.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 11:48 PM   #10

Thanks everyone for the replies and answers. Now we'll wait and see what turns up. I passed the service info along to the seller. I expect he'll get it right.

Jeff and C,
Quote:
You should be able to turn the steering wheel under those conditions. It may be difficult but doable. Not recommended however
Yes it's not the best practice, sometimes necessary and I've always been able to do it. This locked the wheel up tight AND brought a warning light.
BTW, we just moved from Tumwater to Lower Alabama. Small world

wa8yxm
Quote:
turned the RV over to the salesman
Yep, now he's liable

Tags
brake, power, steering