RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-06-2019, 10:03 AM   #1

Brake booster

We have a 2000 36 foot FDS. The problem is we do not have brakes if the engine shuts down. What part is it that we need to allow us to use the brakes when the engine is not running. Thanks for any help. Bruce Sherrill

Littleamador is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2019, 11:49 AM   #2

….the Hydroboost brake boost system varies a bit by model year but first thing is to check to see if the 12v electrical connections are all good....circa 2002, the fuses and links, to include some 1-way diodes, were located in the area just in front of the driver's side front wheel-well, in proximity to the brake master cylinder, under the floor for the driver's position....believe the boost function in the older coaches is triggered by the stoplight switch on the brake pedal arm, also below the driver's position floor.....

Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 02:13 PM   #3

With engine off, do you hear the electric brake boost (very loud and right under driver's feet) when you step on the brakes?
Old 05-06-2019, 07:56 PM   #4

No with the key on and stepping on the brake there is no noise. We did have a new brake switch installed perhaps I should check that? Thanks; Bruce
Old 05-06-2019, 09:45 PM   #5

https://www.scribd.com/document/375236498/bosch-hydromax-booster-manual-pdf
andy29847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 11:44 AM   #6

Thanks for the Bosch brake diagram. Is the back up pump what gives me brakes in case the engine dies?
Old 05-07-2019, 01:59 PM   #7

….its gives you "power assisted" service brakes if your engine "dies".....you still have manual service brakes in this event but brake pedal pressure would be significant to overcome….in the case of an emergency, you always have the yellow- handled emergency/parking brake....this brake is spring actuated and air pressure released so you always have this option, regardless of engine or air pressure status....and easy check of the 12v brake boost motor is to jump a 12v power source to the stud on the motor, or to the motor feed wire...if the motor kicks over, you know the motor functions and you have a power supply issue--which would be my bet....
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 08:50 AM   #8

Check your stop light switch first. It controls the electric pump for your brakes. It does not matter if key is on or off.This is how I crashed my 2000 Alpine into my garage and totaled it. Mine worked intermittently and it cost me a motor home. It happened so quick I could not get to the yellow handle for the brake in time.
gatorv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 09:22 AM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Are your brake lights coming on? If not that's a sign the fuse that supplies power to the brake switch circuit is not working. I went through this with mine last year. Replaced the switch which was not very difficult in the grand scheme. Did also have a blown fuse that took a bit to find in the group under the dash. Signal tracer helped find it which is now a favorite tool to have on board. Would start with the fuse. Like the others have said, when you put your foot on the brake with nothing on you should hear that booster pump running - obvious.

Good luck
Bruce
Yankeebelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 04:04 PM   #10

Could be the brake switch is bad & you don't have brake lights on the coach (brakes due to analog foot pressure but no connection being made thru light switch, which connection tells the aux brake boost pump to run if there is no hydraulic boost from pump on engine). The Cole-Hersee 90043-07 brake switch is available from NAPA and is easy to replace. I recommend a new one every 75,000 miles as P.M. Switch is on the linkage below the driver and adjacent to the master cylinder.

Tags
brake