Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2018, 04:58 PM   #1

Brake Fluid flushing

I know that there have been loads of posts regarding Alpine brakes but, for some reason I seem to remember a mention in the Tech section (or someplace else in the literature) outlining the procedure for periodic flushing of brake fluid. The reason I'm searching for it is that I need to document this to a local shop that is trying to tell me that taking the wheels off is not necessary. I instructed them to do so when I brought the coach in for service. When I picked it up I asked them if they had done it that way and they said they didn't have to. Now they expect me to pay for work that is sub par at best. The coach is now at a shop that has inspected the bleeders and says they look as though they have not been touched. If I can find some manufacturers documentation it will support my dispute over the bill.
If anyone know where this service procedure is written down, I would appreciate it.
Mocha Latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2018, 05:24 PM   #2

Not sure if this will help.

http://www.alpinecoachassociation.co...h.html#chassis
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 07:28 PM   #3

....not sure what you are looking for in the way of documentation but the conversation with the shop is obvious.....your coach has 4-piston calipers .....two calipers on each wheel -- inside and outside of disc....a physical examination will show that the bleed screws on the outside calipers on the front axle are "nearly" impossible to reach....and the outside calipers on the rear axles are, IMHO, impossible to reach....if the shop is arguing that they need only flush the four inside calipers to achieve a full flush....I don't know who/what source would be the expert to tell them no. Clearly, without flushing the outside calipers, a substantial amount of the old fluid would remain unchanged in those calipers.....
PS--there is a service manual on the ACA website under the "brakes and chassis" section regarding Meritor Quadramatic service and bleeding--references the inboard/outboard bleed screws on each wheel....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 08:34 PM   #4

Thanks, Old Scout. I'll print it out and show it to them. This was the first time I used this shop and it will be the last time. They also billed me for other work that wasn't done, which I won't go into here.

Fortunately, the shop that has it now is very reputable and has offered to take pictures if necessary. I've heard of other's bad experiences with dishonest shops but this is the first time for me. Hopefully the last.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:54 AM   #5
JWJ

I have flushed the brake fluid twice. The first time we did it ourselves, and speaking from experience, you have to pull the wheels to effectively flush the outside calipers.
Good luck.
JWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 05:41 PM   #6

Thanks, JWJ. I appreciate your confirming this. I've never been involved in a dispute with a shop before. Guess I've been lucky. I'll post how this gets resolved. They charged me for other work they didn't do and I have documentation of that.
Old 01-14-2018, 12:46 PM   #7

I'm having Redlands Truck & RV do my brake flush @ the Quartzsite rally next Sunday, along w/couple other wheels-off chores. Since you have to take the wheels off (and they know that), I'm also having the 10 year old SmarTire wheel sensors replaced. You have to take the tires off the wheel & replace the sensor which is banded to the wheel for that.
I try to stack up the wheels off chores to get the most efficiency out of the overhead involved. Greasing u-joints, basic full brake inspection (I take photos of the calipers from a couple angles & save the dated photos cuz I forget a lotta lot of stuff), plug any air leaks in rear bulkhead, stuff like that which is easy to get to w/out wheels. Takes the sting out of shop maintenance when its not emergency stuff.
Old 02-11-2018, 06:22 PM   #8
JWJ

It was a pleasure visiting with you and I am glad to hear you got your repairs completed.
Safe travels.
JWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 06:01 AM   #9

Brake fluid flushing

Thanks, JWJ. It was great to meet you also and to compare notes. As I told you when we spoke, the second shop took pictures (in case I need them) to show that the bleeders on the rear had never been touched. In fact, he said they were so corroded that they had to drill them out and they were packed solid. It just shows that you have to learn about your coach to make sure things are done right.

I also had them change the master cylinder and it makes a significant difference. I would definitely recommend that to anyone with an 04 or newer coach.

Tags
brake, fluid