Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-10-2011, 10:14 PM   #1

Brake Fluid Reservoir

Someone told me once, but I forgot and I couldn't find it on the forum... where is the brake fluid reservoir?

gator67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2011, 10:16 PM   #2

Open the gen slide and it's up high, above the generator, on the firewall, and on ours on the driver's side. It's sort of partially hidden behind the front face of the motorhome, above the generator.

OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 08:44 PM   #3

High up is right! I had the brake fluid changed today and apparently WRV mounted the reservoir so high, that it was really difficult to get the brake fluid in it. The service folks said it took twice as long as they expected because access was so difficult. I'm glad it only has to be done every five years... so are they!
gator67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 07:57 AM   #4

The current recommendation is you should change the fluid annually. Look back at previous discussions on this topic.
To make topping up easier I remove the reservoir from the bulkhead bracket (only 2 bolts) and hold it while I top up and then rest it on the bracket while I do the next few pedal pumps. Just remember to bolt it back when you finish.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 01:36 PM   #5

Algoma,

I don't agree with changing brake fluid annually, unless you're in an area drawing a lot of moisture and humidity into the fluid. I live in Tacoma, WA, and I've watched the fluid carefully, and looked good even at three years, when we changed it at Redlands Truck Service. They even recommended their brake service, including fluid, at the time we did it as every two years. I've been two years since that service and the fluid looks and feels like new and the brake performance hasn't changed. I plan to change it early next year along with the caliper clean and lube, etc. that RTS does; again will be 3 years.

So I have trouble seeing the need to change it more frequently than every other year, unless there's some very adverse driving conditions. We have 8 months in the NW and 4 months in the SW each year with no issues with the fluid.
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 11:10 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
I believe some of the confusion with frequency of changes is due to the problem earlier models had with the old-style brake calipers. It was recommended to change the fluid on those more often to compensate for problems caused by the increase in moisture in the fluid causing calipers to hang up.

Bosch caliper (eventual) recalls on Workhorse chassis included recommending frequent changes until the issue of responsibility was solved with the NTSB.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:19 AM   #7

How Often Do You Change Brake Fluid? - Autos.com

Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote