Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-13-2010, 08:10 AM   #1

Brake Flush

Has anybody done a brake flush and if so what was the cost. I have received a estimate of $350 which seem high for a flush.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2010, 02:53 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
I was quoted $75 plus fluid in Orange County, CA. $110 total at another place. I still haven't had it done. My usual repair haunts won't perform that service.

Old 03-13-2010, 03:54 PM   #3

Need to factor in removing the rear wheels on the newer coaches.
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 05:18 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Santa Ana Truck quoted an extra $80 for R&R wheels, if needed. They guestimated $130 - $150, plus fluid to include wheel pulls and bleed.

I may try BusWest, too. They are a bit closer.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:55 PM   #5

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Do a search on the Workhorse forum. I think it may be easier than you think.
Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Acadia Denali, tow-N-4 Down, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 11:28 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Tom,
I'm not sure where you are located but here in NORCAL territory Leals, in San Jose, just did mine for $217. They were familar with the dual calipers and said they didn't need to remove the tire to get to both fittings. They are good people to do business with and they are familiar with Alpines. The factory used to have them do a lot of the warranty work. Their website is www.lealsrvauto.com.
Matt
zinom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 12:28 AM   #7

I recently had my two front rotors replaced, calipers lubricated and brake fluid changed by Statkus Motors in ALB, NM for $500. Great job at a decent price!
Moto
motojavaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 09:04 AM   #8

While exploring the underside of our 2003 this weekend[to replace HWH hose], I decided you probably can bleed the outside calipers [4-piston system] without R&Ring the rear wheels. Its a tight fit in the cavity behind the differential and you will have to work totally in the blind to loosen the bleed screw/connect the drain/vacuum line. Suspect most service places would prefer to R&R the wheels [front/back] and charge you accordingly. I also suspect unless you specify that both calipers be done, the "average" shop will bleed the inside calipers and call it good enough...
PS--the Peak chassis 4-piston calipers "are that tough!"
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 10:13 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinom View Post
Tom,
I'm not sure where you are located but here in NORCAL territory Leals, in San Jose, just did mine for $217. They were familar with the dual calipers and said they didn't need to remove the tire to get to both fittings. They are good people to do business with and they are familiar with Alpines. The factory used to have them do a lot of the warranty work. Their website is www.lealsrvauto.com.
Matt
Matt

I am located in Ellensburg, WA Just talked to Les Schwab Tire Center here in Ellensburg and made a appointment for tomorrow. Tires will not be a problem if they need to be removed. They quoted me $65 without tire removal. I will post the results tomorrow. The $350 quote came from Auto Care Experts (ACE) in Yakima When I questioned them about the price they told me it was a all day job. I would definitely BEWARE of them .

Thanks to all that replied for the help
Old 03-14-2010, 01:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by motojavaphil View Post
I recently had my two front rotors replaced, calipers lubricated and brake fluid changed by Statkus Motors in ALB, NM for $500. Great job at a decent price!
Moto
Add another $450 to this work. I quoted labor and not parts or rotors. Sorry!
Moto
Old 03-15-2010, 01:10 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Jeez! It sure seems like a very short trip from $65 to $500, and then, add another $450 to that?? Gadzooks, Batman..... this is getting out of hand.

Jim
Old 03-15-2010, 02:23 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.S.Eddy View Post
Jeez! It sure seems like a very short trip from $65 to $500, and then, add another $450 to that?? Gadzooks, Batman..... this is getting out of hand.

Jim
Jim,
That is partly my fault and am sorry for confusing you. When you do your brake service, i.e., fluid change, you should check your rotors and lube the calipers. My rotors were cracked and we did lube the calipers. Prices may seem all over the place but they are perhaps related to what the service folks are going to do. A simple fluid flush migh be a lot cheaper by itself than caliper maintenance being added in or other things required by the rig. Some rigs require tire removal, others do not, which is another cost. I am not the expert on this stuff, just things I have seen or experienced.
Moto
Old 03-15-2010, 03:04 PM   #13

Just had brakes flushed at Les Schwab in Ellensburg. Not only was there air in the system but the old fluid was the color of coffee. We had to do a manual flush because there adapter would not fit my master cylinder. What big difference this has made on my braking capability. Total cost was $161 which included removing all tires